Jump to content

The shamed and disgraced british foreign office says it wont help Brits tortured or imprisoned aboard


superkaur
 Share

Recommended Posts

UK Foreign Office: Citizens arrested abroad have ‘no right to our help’

Richard Ratcliffe, husband of British-Iranian dual national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, poses for a photograph after delivering a Mother's Day card and flowers to the Iranian Embassy in London, Britain March 31, 2019. (Reuters/File Photo)
Richard Ratcliffe, husband of British-Iranian dual national Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, poses for a photograph after delivering a Mother's Day card and flowers to the Iranian Embassy in London, Britain March 31, 2019. (Reuters/File Photo)

 

Arab News
December 28, 2020 18:04
 
 
  • Zaghari-Ratcliffe legal team: ‘That sends an extremely alarming message to … the British public’

LONDON: British citizens unjustly arrested abroad have no right to government protection even if they face torture or are used as diplomatic leverage against the UK, the Foreign Office has warned.

The comments were made in a letter to lawyers representing Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the Iranian-British dual national detained by Tehran, The Times newspaper reported.

Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in 2016 and sentenced to five years in prison on charges of “sowing dissent” against the Iranian regime, which she denies. Tehran’s actions have been widely condemned as being politically motivated.

Since Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s arrest, she has not once been visited by UK officials either in prison or at home, where she has been since March.

The Foreign Office claimed that because Iran has not granted its request for consular access, it is powerless to act.

Sarah Broughton, head of consular affairs at the Foreign Office, said in the letter to the Zaghari-Ratcliffe legal team that “British citizens falsely accused overseas have no legal right to consular assistance.”

In response, the legal team said: “If it is really the government’s position that it has no obligations even in the extreme and unique circumstances of Nazanin’s case, then that sends an extremely alarming message to the rest of the British public.”

Despite UN experts finding that Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s mistreatment in detention amounts to torture, Broughton said the UK government “cannot investigate torture or mistreatment allegations.”

David Walters, founder of Arrest Abroad and a 30-year veteran of the Foreign Office, said: “The Foreign Office is hamstrung over Nazanin’s case. It is impotent and paralyzed.”

Tulip Siddiq, the Zaghari-Ratcliffe family’s local MP, said: “The UK government is failing at its most basic duty: To protect its citizens.” 

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1784031/world

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The British foreign office is making the UK a laughing stock in front of the world and all civilized mature democracies and societies that respect the rule of international laws and UN charter of human rights can see whats going on here.

It's sending a terrible and dangerous message to countries and brutal evil regimes aboard like the Indian establishment (known to have conduct state terrorism and state genocide against Sikhs of india since 1947) that you can freely put on trial any british citizen that's in their country and the UK won't intervene or say a word or uphold the rights of their own citizen.

people need to start waking up and asking their political representatives whats going on here? in whose interests are the foreign office working for and fighting for if not for their own British citizens.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58940458

 

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: British-Iranian aid worker loses court appeal in Iran

Published
17 hours ago

The British-Iranian aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has lost an appeal against a second jail sentence in Iran.

Her family said on Saturday that there had been no court hearing, but her lawyer was informed of the outcome.

First jailed for five years in 2016 after being accused of plotting against the regime, she was sentenced to another year's confinement in April on charges of "spreading propaganda".

She spent the final year of her term on parole at her parents' home in Tehran.

But concerns have been raised that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe may now be sent back to prison.

Speaking to the BBC, her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, said that his wife was "waiting for the call to summon her back" and said that she was "traumatised at the thought of having to go back to jail".

She had called her daughter several times over the course of the day to tell her she loves her, such is her fear that her return to confinement may be imminent, he said.

Mr Ratcliffe has not seen his wife in person since her imprisonment in 2016. Their daughter, Gabriella, who was with her mother in Tehran when she was arrested, has been with him in the UK since 2019.

UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss denounced the Iranian decision as "an appalling continuation of the cruel ordeal" Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe is going through.

"We are doing all we can to help Nazanin get home to her young daughter and family and I will continue to press Iran on this point," Ms Truss said.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was a project manager for the charity Thomson Reuters Foundation when she was was arrested in April 2016 after having taken her daughter to Iran to celebrate the Iranian new year and to visit her parents.

Iranian authorities alleged that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was plotting to topple the government in Tehran and Iran's Revolutionary Guards accused her of leading a "foreign-linked hostile network" when she visited.

She completed a five-year sentence in March this year, only to be slapped with a fresh one-year jail term for "propaganda against the system".

She is one of a number of Western passport holders being held by Iran in what human rights groups condemn as a policy of hostage-taking aimed at winning concessions from foreign powers.

Her husband has alleged that she is being held hostage over a long-standing debt of £400m ($550m) that Britain owes Iran for a tank deal that was never fulfilled.

2px presentational grey line

Price for freedom

Analysis by Caroline Hawley, BBC Diplomatic Correspondent

Over the five and a half years since Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe's arrest, it has become increasingly clear that she's a chess piece in a geopolitical game, and that political calculations lie behind Iran's legal moves against her.

The UK government repeatedly says it's doing all it can to get her home. But Iran has made it abundantly clear that her freedom - and that of other dual nationals - will come at a price.

In particular, it wants the UK to repay the debt owed since before Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was born, when Iran bought tanks that were not delivered after the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

Richard Ratcliffe sees the failure of her appeal - without even a court hearing - as merely a "judicial figleaf" for continuing to hold her hostage. And he fears that unless the debt is paid she is "never coming home".

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Premi5 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-58940458

 

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe: British-Iranian aid worker loses court appeal in Iran

Published
17 hours ago

The British-Iranian aid worker Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe has lost an appeal against a second jail sentence in Iran.

Her family said on Saturday that there had been no court hearing, but her lawyer was informed of the outcome.

First jailed for five years in 2016 after being accused of plotting against the regime, she was sentenced to another year's confinement in April on charges of "spreading propaganda".

She spent the final year of her term on parole at her parents' home in Tehran.

But concerns have been raised that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe may now be sent back to prison.

Speaking to the BBC, her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, said that his wife was "waiting for the call to summon her back" and said that she was "traumatised at the thought of having to go back to jail".

She had called her daughter several times over the course of the day to tell her she loves her, such is her fear that her return to confinement may be imminent, he said.

Mr Ratcliffe has not seen his wife in person since her imprisonment in 2016. Their daughter, Gabriella, who was with her mother in Tehran when she was arrested, has been with him in the UK since 2019.

UK Foreign Secretary Liz Truss denounced the Iranian decision as "an appalling continuation of the cruel ordeal" Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe is going through.

"We are doing all we can to help Nazanin get home to her young daughter and family and I will continue to press Iran on this point," Ms Truss said.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was a project manager for the charity Thomson Reuters Foundation when she was was arrested in April 2016 after having taken her daughter to Iran to celebrate the Iranian new year and to visit her parents.

Iranian authorities alleged that Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was plotting to topple the government in Tehran and Iran's Revolutionary Guards accused her of leading a "foreign-linked hostile network" when she visited.

She completed a five-year sentence in March this year, only to be slapped with a fresh one-year jail term for "propaganda against the system".

She is one of a number of Western passport holders being held by Iran in what human rights groups condemn as a policy of hostage-taking aimed at winning concessions from foreign powers.

Her husband has alleged that she is being held hostage over a long-standing debt of £400m ($550m) that Britain owes Iran for a tank deal that was never fulfilled.

2px presentational grey line

Price for freedom

Analysis by Caroline Hawley, BBC Diplomatic Correspondent

Over the five and a half years since Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe's arrest, it has become increasingly clear that she's a chess piece in a geopolitical game, and that political calculations lie behind Iran's legal moves against her.

The UK government repeatedly says it's doing all it can to get her home. But Iran has made it abundantly clear that her freedom - and that of other dual nationals - will come at a price.

In particular, it wants the UK to repay the debt owed since before Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was born, when Iran bought tanks that were not delivered after the Islamic Revolution of 1979.

Richard Ratcliffe sees the failure of her appeal - without even a court hearing - as merely a "judicial figleaf" for continuing to hold her hostage. And he fears that unless the debt is paid she is "never coming home".

 

Lost that hegemony eh?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I've followed this Ratcliffe case for a while, and it's funny how the English media refuse to entertain the possibility that she may actually be MI6 as the Iranians claim. It's a common intelligence tactic to send their people into hostile countries as NGO or charity personnel specialising in languages, which is what she was doing when she was arrested. People expecting MI6 agents to be 6ft well-built, loner white guys have bought into the Hollywood fantasy. 

 

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I've followed this Ratcliffe case for a while, and it's funny how the English media refuse to entertain the possibility that she may actually be MI6 as the Iranians claim. It's a common intelligence tactic to send their people into hostile countries as NGO or charity personnel specialising in languages, which is what she was doing when she was arrested. People expecting MI6 agents to be 6ft well-built, loner white guys have bought into the Hollywood fantasy. 

Agreed. But I have never understood how a few individuals as 'spies' can do much ; unless they are very close to the top of the hierachy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

 

Agreed. But I have never understood how a few individuals as 'spies' can do much ; unless they are very close to the top of the hierachy

It's not only about spying on the ruling elites. These people are placed to form ground level networks too, for a variety of reasons. They can then use sympathetic people at ground level to do some of the spying, hide people (like defectors) and documents, foster disillusionment etc. etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

It's not only about spying on the ruling elites. These people are placed to form ground level networks too, for a variety of reasons. They can then use sympathetic people at ground level to do some of the spying, hide people (like defectors) and documents, foster disillusionment etc. etc. 

Sure.

I think likelihood she is spy is quite high. Husband is posho gora, she is middle class, it all fits.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Sikh Reddit is pathetic, it’s run by a fat POS.  It’s natural to want a virgin if you’re a virgin yourself, so I don’t blame u. Especially when you’re religious and following Sikhi, it just feels so wrong to be w/ someone who is not a virgin.  As a woman it’s easy to find a virgin man b/c any man who tells you he is a virgin is 99% not lying lol. But I understand it is harder to find a virgin woman since ur a man. Since ur in the west it’s gonna be 100% even harder, as only 4% of woman are virgins at marriage in the west. Nowadays there are more virgin men than women. A lot of women will also lie to get a good quality partner, they know deep down men want a clean partner so they’ll lie.  Since ur in the west, u have to be very careful. Honestly my best advice to anyone reading this is u just gotta have common sense. Many men don’t, they’re pretty dumb and easily fall in love based on looks and lies. U don’t wanna be a dumb ***** who’s w/ a woman that’s been with the entire city, nor do u wanna be the dude paying this chick alimony, etc (women w/more sexual partners tend to correlate w/higher risk for divorce). U gotta sus out how she is in her day to day life. Dig into her background. Does she often go out, does she have many male friends, are there any stories about her past. If she has lots of luxury items and what not and is always going out, does she work hard for them by working jobs. If she’s velli and always doing that, that’s sus. A lot of women partake in much more expensive things than men and have lots of things b/c they have some simp or beta orbiter paying them, usually in exchange for some lewd things. The number of women I’ve met thruout the years doing this was insane, like even the ones I thought were angelic ones. furthermore does she have a history of smoking or doing drugs, think about how old is she? The older she is the less likely she is to be a virgin. Did she go to a uni, what kind of uni did she go to and what did she study? Women acquire their most number of sexual partners during uni. Is she a woman that doesn’t like the fact ur a virgin or isn’t as into u because of that? Red flag because a virgin woman would want a virgin man so she can feel more comfortable. There’s lots of memes that women prefer “Chad men with high body count” b/c it shows that they’re experienced but nah, that’s just b/c the majority of women are not virgins lol. Does she spend all her day on social medias like Instagram or Snapchat or Twitter or whatever? Know that there are many men in her DMs most likely. a woman should be willing to delete her socials for u if she truly loves u. The best person for a relationship is a person with no socials. Another tip is how does she speak and dress around family or outside?. Is her family conservative or liberal? Whenever she does goes out is she usually with her family? i can write more questions for u to think about but honestly it’ll be depressing for u. The true reality is you are most likely NOT going to end up with a virgin (the only way to know is if she bleeds ur first night, even the most repulsive and vile of Sikh/Punjabi women don’t pursue hymenoplasties such as Middle eastern women do, so u should be good). You are most likely NOT going to be with a woman who is obsessed with u and loves u deeply, is willing to do anything for u, many men simp for and obey their women these days and not the other way around. You are likely NOT going to end up in a happy marriage, over 6/10 married couples hate their marriage statistically.  U just gotta keep your hopes up. If u do end up getting married to a witch, there’s not much u can do. Think of ur children and care for them deeply. Be a good man, etc. 
    • I’ve seen lots of alt communities or whatever inquire “which religion is the most tolerant, which is the most accepting, which will accept me as a LGBTQASHFKRLIV148959+, which will accept me because I’ve sinned, which will accept me bc I’m literally a pedo,  which will accept bc I’m a furry” literally stupid things like this and guess what everyone usually replies with. ”Sikhi” the whole modernization thing is a joke, just stick to ur roots. Stop promoting the religion as some kind of charity free for all accepting of all sins and degenerates type religion. Just filth will join the religion then, it’s already happening. The leaders and youth of Sikhi are such a massive joke.
    • Lol this is so common. This is the average wedding. Plus nowadays auntiyaan and young girls are dressing half naked in lenghas and saris and stuff or literally sometimes even a western dress. Men freely dance with women. Plus they hire some naked belly dancer or hire some Bhangra team dancing like monkeys at ur wedding. It’s awful. I assume it’s Punjabi culture. Let’s not mention all the men getting drunk and trying to hit on the women at the weddings.  So many young folks skip the gurudwara wedding too because it’s boring and they can’t get lit even though that’s the main part of the wedding & most important. Amritdhari men and women are less likely to engage in such activities tho, I don’t see them doing this, when they get invited to such weddings they sit in the corner and refuse to engage or dance and such.  I’m marrying into a non Punjabi family and me and my partner went to a Sikh wedding recently because he’s never experienced one and he was shocked and said he thought Sikhs were way more conservative.
    • I hate the way people throw money. It's usually a manmukh tradition to show how wealthy you are and you can just throw rupees around. It's nothing more than showing off.
    • While drinking alcohol is never a good thing, hearsay about such things may be unreliable. The fact is, at wedding receptions, everybody goes: children, drinkers, and non-drinkers. Obviously, there are both alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks available. Are the aunties absolutely sure the uncles were drinking whiskey?
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use