British Police Misdemeanours (Sarah Everard case onwards)

Premi5

https://www.mylondon.news/news/south-london-news/met-police-sergeant-who-dressed-21765672

Met Police sergeant who dressed up as Jimmy Savile for his stag-do escapes punishment

Savile’s victims have since reacted in horror to the images, which emerged days after Wayne Couzens was handed a life-long jail sentence for the rape and murder of Sarah Everard

•  
  • 14:04, 5 OCT 2021

A Metropolitan Police sergeant has escaped punishment after being snapped dressed as paedophile Jimmy Savile on his stag weekend in Tenerife.

Sergeant Will Hughes, 32, and at least four other officers caused outrage among the victims of the Top of the Pops presenter after the Met Police let him off scot-free.

The photos also include an inspector, two constables, and a sergeant of 18 years experience, according to Mail Online .

READ MORE:Sarah Everard: 26 Met Police colleagues of Wayne Couzens also committed sex crimes since 2016

Sgt Hughes is shown in a long blonde wig, Savile’s iconic tracksuit and sunglasses, complete with a big cigar surrounded by colleagues and friends laughing at the stunt.

The men reportedly went to the Canary Islands for five days in early September for his stag-do and stayed in Playa de las Americas in south west Tenerife.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said the group from Bexley, in South London, would have ‘reflective practice’, rather than face a misconduct hearing.

This means the officers will only have to write to their line manager to explain their actions.

This falls short of a disciplinary process so they will not be blocked from promotions or job moves.

The Daily Mail says one of the more senior officers referred himself to Scotland Yard’s Directorate of Professional Standards after he was approached by the publication, but none of the officers would comment on their actions.

Bexley commander Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lawry said: "While this took place when the officers were off-duty in another country, as someone who has investigated child abuse for over 20 years, I am extremely disappointed.

"This was a grave error of judgement by the officers and they need to consider the significant impact of these actions."

Savile’s victims have since reacted in horror to the images, which emerged days after Wayne Couzens was handed a life-long jail sentence for the rape and murder of Sarah Everard.

Caroline Moore, 62, still remembers the moment she was kissed by the paedo DJ when she was just a 13-year-old school girl in hospital.

She told The Daily Mail : "I think it is absolutely hideous behaviour. I am almost speechless.

"It is terrifying that a police officer, and not just one officer but a group of them, would think this was something funny to do.

"It is sickeningly creepy given everything else we have seen recently. What was the man thinking?

"It is disappointing that this wasn’t enough for a proper disciplinary process and I’m not sure just a slap on the wrists sends the strongest message when the police are desperately trying to restore confidence."

Multiple sex abuse allegations emerged against the TV presenter a year after he died in 2011 aged 84.

Met Police Sgt Will Hughes dressed up as a paedophile
Met Police Sgt Will Hughes dressed up as Jimmy Savile (Image: Supplied)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58883628

Sarah Everard murder: Emma B says Wayne Couzens exposed himself to her

Published
1 hour ago
Related Topics
Emma BIMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,The radio presenter said she was struck by how "feeble" the Met Police's response was at the time

Radio presenter Emma Wilson has said Sarah Everard's murderer Wayne Couzens flashed her and that Met Police officers laughed when she reported it.

The Magic FM DJ - who is also known as Emma B - said he exposed himself to her when she walked past an alleyway in Greenwich, south-east London, in 2008.

She told BBC Radio 4's Woman's Hour she recognised him when she saw his photo in news reports.

The Met Police and police watchdog are investigating.

Ms Wilson told the programme she was "so very sure" it was him and that it "adds to the clamour of chances there were to stop this man".

Couzens - a Met Police officer when he kidnapped, raped and murdered Ms Everard - was given a whole-life term last month.

The police watchdog the IOPC is looking into the Met's handling of three other alleged indecent exposure incidents involving Couzens, including one said to have taken place in south London three days before he murdered Ms Everard.

Ms Wilson says she knows it was Couzens who exposed himself to her - at the time he was a volunteer officer with Kent Police - as he has a "face that doesn't go anywhere, it stays with you".

She explained how she ran into a nearby shop to alert police who then visited her to take a statement.

"They were asking me what I could see... he was playing with himself and there were specifics about his state of arousal that they thought were quite amusing. It was really humiliating," Ms Wilson said.

"I remember clearly saying to them, 'I really hope this is all he needs to do' and I said that at the time because I was so struck by how feeble their response was."

The presenter said the incident was "aggressive, it was purposeful, it was calculated" and that "it wasn't this comic character that we have of this local peeping Tom or the local flasher in the flasher mac".

*Wonder what she means exactly,  "face that doesn't go anywhere, it stays with you".

6 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

*Wonder what she means exactly,  "face that doesn't go anywhere, it stays with you".

Some faces are nondescript and easy to forget. Some stay with you, especially those that have done something shocking or revolting. 

I think the whole shocking nature of the incident (maybe because the victim is in a high state of alert from potential danger?) causes the event to be burnt into memory.  

Wayne Couzens 'molested drag queen at a bar near his home and said "I'm an officer" as he demanded dark alley sex' three years before raping and murdering Sarah Everard

• A drag queen has accused Wayne Couzens of sexually assaulting him in a pub
  • The alleged incident reportedly occurred at the New Inn pub in Kent in 2018
  • Couzens, 48, allegedly touched his backside and propositioned him to have sex
  • It is the latest in a slew of allegations against the Metropolitan Police officer
  • Couzens was handed a life sentence for the rape and murder of Sarah Everard 

Wayne Couzens, the police officer who has been handed a life sentence Sarah Everard, is reportedly facing a new probe over allegedly sexually assaulting a drag queen.

Couzens, 48, allegedly molested a drag artist while he was in costume at the New Inn pub in Deal, Kent, in 2018, before propositioning him to have sex.

The performer claimed that Couzens told him that he was a police officer when he told the father-of-two to stop touching him, the Mirror reported.

A slew of claims have come to light about the Metropolitan Police officer since he was jailed for his life with no chance of parole after he kidnapped, raped and murdered Sarah Everard while she was walking home.

Couzens is known to have committed an indecent exposure, driving round naked from the waist down in his car, when he served with them in 2015.

He has also been identified as being responsible for carrying out the same offence at a McDonald's restaurant days before he targeted Ms Everard, 33, while she walked home from her friend's house in Clapham, south London.

On March 3, he staged a fake Covid arrest, handcuffed Ms Everard and put her in his car before driving 80 miles to Kent where he raped and murdered her. Days later, he burned her body and left it in woods near land he owned. 

Now, a drag queen has reportedly accused Couzens of molesting him while he was standing at a bar in costume.

The unnamed performer is believed to have said that he did not go to the police before seeing the news about Couzens' jail term, as he did not think his claims would be taken seriously.

But the alleged victim said that he recognised Couzens 'right away' after seeing him on the TV and told his partner 'that's him'.

The drag artist reportedly said he had gone to the New Inn pub, which is close to Couzen's Kent house, to watch a band when Couzens inappropriately touched his backside at the bar. 

He told Sunday's People: 'Then he [Couzens] went round to my groin and I went, 'Oi, stop that. My partner's over there.' He went 'Do you know who I am?' and I went, 'Do you know who I f***ing am?'

He alleged that he told Couzens his stage name, to which he replied that he was a police officer, and the unnamed drag queen told him again not to touch him.

The performer alleged that Couzens then asked him to go around the back of the pub where it was 'dark' to give him a 'b***job', after which the artist told him to 'p*** off' and walked back to his table and told his partner what allegedly happened.

He said he has not told any of his friends about the alleged incident as he is 'embarrassed', and claimed that he is now too afraid to go to a bar or 'wander' off by himself after the alleged assault. 

Speaking about recognising Couzens, he said: 'Can you imagine if I went down that alley? My partner has said to me, 'You could have been stabbed in the alley and left somewhere else'.'

He reportedly made a formal victim statement on Tuesday naming police officer Couzens as the alleged attacker. 

Metropolitan Police confirmed that it had received a crime report from Kent Police in relation to a sexual assault that allegedly occurred at a pub in Deal, Kent in the summer of 2018.

A spokesperson added that detectives are assessing the information and enquiries are ongoing. 

The Met has faced a wave of criticism over missed opportunities to expose killer cop Wayne Couzens as a sexual predator before he went on to rape and murder Sarah Everard.

It emerged the 48-year-old was known as 'the rapist' by staff at the Civil Nuclear Constabulary because he made female colleagues feel so uncomfortable.

He had been accused of indecent exposure in Kent in 2015 and in London in the days before Ms Everard's murder, but was allowed to continue working.

Priti Patel has announced there will be an independent inquiry into the 'systematic failures' that allowed Wayne Couzens to serve as a Met police officer and murder Sarah Everard.  

The Home Secretary said that 'recent tragic events have exposed unimaginable failures in policing'

S

he said that the public 'have a right to know' why Couzens was able to be employed by the Metropolitan Police. 

Addressing the Conservative Party conference in Manchester, Ms Patel said: 'I can confirm today, there will be an inquiry, to give the independent oversight needed, to ensure something like this can never happen again.'

The inquiry will look at Couzens' career in the Metropolitan Police and determine if red flags were missed to identify him as a threat.

The probe is likely to be viewed as a warning shot at Met chief Cressida <banned word filter activated> who has faced calls to quit following the murder of Ms Everard. 

The inquiry will be split into two parts, with the first examining Couzens' previous behaviour.

It will seek to establish a 'definitive account' of his conduct leading up to his conviction, as well 'any opportunities missed'.

The second part of the probe will look at 'specific issues raised by the first part of the inquiry'.

That could include examining wider issues across policing, including vetting practices, discipline and workplace behaviour.

Ms Patel will also write to the independent police inspectorate HMICFRS to commission a 'thematic inspection of vetting and counter-corruption procedures in policing across England and Wales'.

This will look at how forces detect and deal with misogynistic and predatory behaviour.

The Home Office said the inquiry will be established on a non-statutory footing but 'can be converted to a statutory inquiry if required'.

A chairman for the inquiry and its terms of reference will be announced by the Government in due course. 

In light of Ms Everard's murder, all sexual and domestic abuse allegations against Metropolitan Police officers over the last ten years will also be reviewed.

Dame Cressida <banned word filter activated>, commissioner for the force, announced on Friday that an investigation is being launched into all current cases of sexual misconduct or domestic abuse allegations against London's police officers.

Dame Cressida, 60, also revealed similar allegations that have been made against both officers and workers at the force over the last ten years will be reviewed.  

Officers from the force's Directorate of Professional Standards will analyse each of the cases internally and will undertake a check of the vetting history of the staff involved in the claims.

The under-fire commissioner, who is resisting calls to resign, said: 'We'll be reviewing them [the allegations] to make sure that the victim has been properly supported, and that the investigation is suitably thorough.

'We'll also be going back to look at some of those [historic] investigations just to make sure that the processes that should have taken place have taken place and that we are taking the right management action after the case is closed.'

The force said in a statement the examination, which has been launched in addition to an independent review into the Met's culture by Baroness Casey of Blackstock, was being held in the aftermath Ms Everard's murder. 

Dame Cressida said she was 'delighted' to announce Baroness Blackstock will be in charge of an 'independent and far-reaching review' lasting an estimated six months.

She said: 'She will be looking at our vetting, our recruitment, our leadership, our training and all manner of processes to see how they reinforce the best possible standards. 

'She'll make a public report, and public recommendations, so that we can improve and make sure that the public have more confidence in us.'

Dame Cressida said Baroness Casey - who has been leading an inquiry into how England yobs were able to break into Wembley during the Euros final - was a strong candidate for the job.

'I think she's got the right character, and the right expertise, and the right background, to do this review,' she said.

Baroness Casey said: 'Trust is given to the police by our, the public's, consent. So any acts that undermine that trust must be examined and fundamentally changed.

'This will no doubt be a difficult task but we owe it to the victims and families this has affected and the countless decent police officers this has brought into disrepute.'

The spotlight will also be shone on the force's Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command - which killer Wayne Couzens worked for - with a 'root-and-branch review' looking at whether there are any 'specific issues' within the unit.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan has welcomed the appointment of Baroness Casey to lead the independent review into the Met's culture and standards.

In a series of tweets, Mr Khan said: 'Baroness Casey's review must look into the wider culture of the Met Police, including issues of misogyny, sexism, racism and homophobia as well as thoroughly examining recruitment, vetting, training, leadership and standards of behaviour among officers and staff.

'I've been clear with the Met Commissioner about the scale of the challenge we face and the change that's needed, and I will continue to play my full part in holding the Met Police to account on behalf of Londoners.' 

In the wake of Couzens' life sentence for murder, it was revealed more than half of Met officers found guilty of sexual misconduct over a four-year period to 2020 kept their jobs, a total of 43 officers out of 83 or 52 per cent.

Along with the handling of the Everard case, the Metropolitan Police are also facing heat over an independent panel's finding of 'institutional corruption' in the investigation into the unsolved murder of Daniel Morgan in 1987.

The private investigator was murdered in a south London car park and the panel found that the Met concealed or denied failures in their investigation. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10076603/Wayne-Couzens-molested-drag-queen-bar-near-home-demanded-dark-alley-sex.html

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-news/figures-reveal-35-met-police-21771701

Metropolitan Police data has revealed that 36 officers within the force are currently earning more than £100,000 a year - and all bar one are white.

According to the Ethnicity Pay Gap Analysis - 2020 report, BAME (Black and Minority Ethnic) Met officers earn on average £1.45 less per hour than their white counterparts - a difference of 7.54 per cent. This figure remains unchanged since 2019.

And in the £90,001 to £100,000 bracket, there are a further 62 white officers being paid that amount compared to just eight BAME officers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59045471

Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman: Met Police to apologise to family of murdered sisters

Published
14 minutes ago
Bibaa Henry and Nicole SmallmanIMAGE SOURCE,HENRY/SMALLMAN FAMILY
Image caption,Sisters Bibaa Henry (left) and Nicole Smallman were found in bushes by friends

The Met Police will apologise to the family of two murdered sisters for failings in the way it responded when they were reported missing.

Danyal Hussein, 19, killed Bibaa Henry, 46, and Nicole Smallman, 27, at Fryent Country Park in Wembley on 6 June 2020.

Their bodies were found there by Ms Smallman's boyfriend the day after they had been reported missing to police.

An Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation found the police response was "unacceptable".

Commissioner Dame Cressida <banned word filter activated> said a better response would have saved their family and friends "immeasurable pain".

"While we know that very sadly Nicola and Bibaa had been murdered in the early hours of Saturday 6 June 2020, before they were reported missing, if we had responded better we may have saved their friends and family immeasurable pain," she said.

"I am very sorry that the level of service we provided fell short."

The pair were reported missing on Saturday, 7 June after attending a birthday celebration the previous evening but an inspector closed the logs after receiving information that was not accurately recorded.

The IOPC said a search by the sisters' families and friends of their last known location led to the discovery of their bodies in Fryent Country Park, Wembley on Sunday - 36 hours after the party.

Speaking about the apology, the sister's mother Mina Smallman said: "We're not the only parties who suffered mental anguish at the hands of Met's incompetent, reprehensible and blatant disregard of agreed procedures regarding missing persons."

Nicole Smallman and Bibaa HenryIMAGE SOURCE,NICOLE SMALLMAN AND BIBAA HENRY
Image caption,This is one of the last photographs taken of the sisters, only moments before they were attacked

She added that the on-duty call handler had made "inappropriate and manipulating assertions, which led to cancellation of the missing persons report.

"We're also of the view that his unprofessional comments about the picnic suggests racial profiling, misogyny or classism."

Dame Cressida has said she contacted the family to ask if they would allow her or another senior officer to visit to apologise in person.

However, Ms Smallman said: "Sorry is something you say when you comprehend the wrong you do and take full responsibility for it, demonstrating that by taking appropriate proportionate action - which to our minds is not going to happen.

"The investigation was not handled appropriately. The apology should have been done face-to-face and not nearly 10 months later."

Bibaa Henry (L) and Nicole Smallman (R) - photo taken on night of killingsIMAGE SOURCE,MET POLICE/PA MEDIA
Image caption,Bibaa Henry (L) and Nicole Smallman were celebrating a birthday before they were killed

The IOPC investigation found an inspector closed the police logs after receiving information about the sisters' possible whereabouts from a family member.

However, that information was "inaccurately" recorded by a communications supervisor, so the inquiries were not progressed properly.

'No racial bias'

The inspector told the IOPC it had been one of "the most challenging shifts of his career" with 16 missing persons reports and an under-capacity unit due to the pandemic.

The force said it agreed its service the weekend the sisters went missing was "below the standard it should have been".

It said no misconduct was found by an officer and two members of police staff but there would be action taken over their performance, which was found to be inadequate.

There was no suggestion racial bias played any part in how the missing persons reports were dealt with, it said.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to British Police Misdemeanours (Sarah Everard case onwards)