Jonathan Haidt: Has Social Media Destroyed a Generation?

@proudkaur21 @Kau89r8
@justasking
ctvnews.ca/local/british-columbia/2022/1/14/1_5741259.amp.html

VANCOUVER 

B.C. woman calls for accountability after TikTok humiliations almost drove her to suicide

Published Jan. 14, 2022 9:45 p.m. ET

Sharan Preet has been a TikTok user for a year and a half. For the Surrey, B.C., mom, the app is a source of entertainment, and a place where she can express herself and her Indian heritage.

“My song collection, my makeup, I like this,” Preet told CTV News.

But being on the platform almost cost Preet her life.

At the end of 2021, Preet became a victim of video manipulation. A small number of her videos were stolen by other users, who then replaced the sound with incredibly offensive songs.…..

On Christmas Day, Preet attempted to take her own life. Her teenage daughter saw what was happening and stopped her…….

Sandy Chatha is a former RCMP officer and currently works in law enforcement. She also uses TikTok, in part to help spread information, such as telling young people how to get a career in policing.

“It was a platform for sharing and also entertainment. Of course, that makes you feel good,” Chatha said.

In late December, Chatha started hearing from women whose videos had been stolen and manipulated. She’s since been in contact with 48 women around the world.

In most of those instances, the women have South Asian heritage, and many of the videos are in Punjabi. In Preet’s case, Chatha said the words in the altered video were “very explicit, humiliating, degrading.”

“They are describing sexual acts,” Chatha said. “Very detailed, very explicit. More so degrading to the woman saying, you know, you’ll be doing this, I’ll be doing that to you.”

Chatha said the language can lead to honour killings in some families.….,

TikTok accountability

Chatha said she has made multiple attempts to get TikTok to remove the altered videos, without success………