Jump to content

Traveling in Punjab independently and safely (need good advice)


Recommended Posts

If it relates to inherited property etc ..especially in the villages re. Land. I would work backwards and sort out a local lawyer to handle your stuff...you even have firms in the west who can sort that stuff out with you.

If you are already concerned for your safety etc with nutty relatives over there ..sort out a lawyer there first.

This stuff won't get sorted in one trip. So you need a trusted party over there to handle your stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Although you have a right to fear but really, there nothing to fear. 

Only last month this Sarb Soorat Singh (I mean me) was at Delhi airport and police / security treated me just like a normal person. On top their were LOADS of Singh / Singhnia going about their Business in n around the airport. As long as u have the correct papers and travel documents should be zero problem. 

Personally, this time round I didn't enjoy India much. It's cause staying at Tai / Chachi's (and dad too, I guess) house. Bibias argue in the kitchen, can drive over there so have to b reliant on cousin, women are concerned about themselves n their own fam over cooking... no love and no logistics to travel. I announced to my parents n wife next visit I will be at a hotel... 

What is the nearest city to Moga?? You will definitely find a hotel in that city... unless Moga is a City? Then there should b a hotel there... lol I heard of Moga but can't remember if it's closer to Amritsar or Hoshiarpur? Anyways... 

You definitely will need a lawyer for this job. There may be rip offs but u will have to judge n haggle(?) 

Good luck. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/3/2023 at 4:30 PM, Singh1989 said:

Although you have a right to fear but really, there nothing to fear. 

Only last month this Sarb Soorat Singh (I mean me) was at Delhi airport and police / security treated me just like a normal person. On top their were LOADS of Singh / Singhnia going about their Business in n around the airport. As long as u have the correct papers and travel documents should be zero problem. 

Personally, this time round I didn't enjoy India much. It's cause staying at Tai / Chachi's (and dad too, I guess) house. Bibias argue in the kitchen, can drive over there so have to b reliant on cousin, women are concerned about themselves n their own fam over cooking... no love and no logistics to travel. I announced to my parents n wife next visit I will be at a hotel... 

What is the nearest city to Moga?? You will definitely find a hotel in that city... unless Moga is a City? Then there should b a hotel there... lol I heard of Moga but can't remember if it's closer to Amritsar or Hoshiarpur? Anyways... 

You definitely will need a lawyer for this job. There may be rip offs but u will have to judge n haggle(?) 

Good luck. 

 

 

 

Come on Veer Ji, don't be so lazy to do a 5 second google search :)

Moga is a city (center of its own district) and it is not especially "close" to either of Amritsar or Hoshiarpur. It is in the Malwa region, south of the Sutlej River. The closest big city is Ludhiana (about 70 km away).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 3/19/2023 at 11:47 AM, californiasardar1 said:

Getting targeted by Indian authorities for no reason may sound like an irrational fear,

Umm, that's totally irrational, bro. There are plenty of prakash-dara Singhs in Punjab (less than we'd like, but still plenty). No one cares that you are sabat soorat. It isn't 1986.

You can walk around in chola, kurta-pajama, or jeans. Whatever.

On 3/21/2023 at 3:06 PM, dallysingh101 said:

Yep, and maybe try and mimic that complete lack of style and strange sense of coordination

If you want the look @dallysingh101 is referring to, just go into a cheap clothing shop (not a Western-style mall) and buy some shirts for 250 rupees or a track suit for 2000 rupees. You'll get the cheap stuff made in some sweatshop in Bombay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can actually even go around with bana and weapons if you get a licence from dal panth after taking khanda pahul. Even dal panth Nihang Singhs should be able to supply a India certification licence booklet in USA and Canada, the booklet allows free train travel and allows carrying of weapons - so I wouldn't see problems in being sabat soorat! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

Can actually even go around with bana and weapons if you get a licence from dal panth after taking khanda pahul. Even dal panth Nihang Singhs should be able to supply a India certification licence booklet in USA and Canada, the booklet allows free train travel and allows carrying of weapons - so I wouldn't see problems in being sabat soorat! 

Bro, if by weapons you mean a rifle, OK.

Otherwise, you won't be questioned by police for merely having a full length kirpan or salotar.

You can also have airguns and air rifles without license.

The "free train travel" is in the lower class of the Indian train system. Not recommended.

Also, you can travel on airplanes in India with a small kirpan. Over your clothes or under, it doesn't matter. Keep it a reasonable small size and you can get your bigger kirpan from your luggage when you arrive.

No one bothers you and the vast majority of people are respectful.

Practically, the places you'll be going to are Punjab, Delhi, Hemkunt Sahib, Patna Sahib, and Hazur Sahib. You simply will not have any problems there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

Can actually even go around with bana and weapons if you get a licence from dal panth after taking khanda pahul. Even dal panth Nihang Singhs should be able to supply a India certification licence booklet in USA and Canada, the booklet allows free train travel and allows carrying of weapons - so I wouldn't see problems in being sabat soorat! 

There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him. 

He ended up losing his life.

Don't be like that.

Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1

ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥
Argue not with a fool. p473

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BhForce said:

There was a young Singh from abroad who went to Anandpur Sahib Hola and got into a fight with some Punjabis who were playing loud non-religious music. He had bana and a weapon or two. There were more of them than him. 

He ended up losing his life.

Don't be like that.

Not worth it to fight manmukhs. @californiasardar1

ਮੂਰਖੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਨ ਲੁਝੀਐ ॥੧੯॥
Argue not with a fool. p473

I still think about that incident now and then, just haven't heard any developments regarding what happened, just like so many other things that have happened in Panjab!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share


  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I am in big dilemma.  As we all know that waheguru ji everywhere. I also understand that it is important to go to gurudwara sahib as well. My question is that if i do ardaas at home or any other place other than  gurudwara sahib, will it be heard and acknowledged by guru sahib or it is always important to go to gurudwara sahib and do ardaas at gurudwara sahib for guru sahib to acknowledge it? I always do path and ardaas at home in front of harmandir sahib photo or hazur sahib photo  and then for important things i make a list and go to gurudwara sahib to do the ardaas there because i think that if i do ardaas in front of guru granth sahib then it will be more accepted by guru sahib. On the other hand i think that if i am doing ardaas in front of harmandir sahib or hazur sahib photo and redoing the same ardaas at gurudwara sahib, i feel that i am not respecting the authority of harmandir sahib or hazur sahib. Because of all this, I wait to find a quite time at gurudwara sahib when there is less or no sangat  so that I can open my list and read and do ardaas spend 10-15 minutes on average to do ardaas. If there are lot of people, i can't do ardaas due to people in the lineup and I don't want to block access to them while i am spending so much time doing ardaas. If i leave without doing ardaas then i am embarrassed, disappointed and sad and then OCD kicks in. Kindly help!    
    • Play/do gurbani, simran and keertan often, make sure you do your nitnem, use sarbloh and wear sarbloh!
    • process is to find a vichola and then the vichola talks between your family and theirs. The process should be similar to how rishta is done in India side!
    • No. If you read the histroy of Guru jis' times and even centuries later, usually marriages were done in childhood. Then when they were old enough to start their grihast jeevan partnership, the bride is brought over to her husbands's house in muklawa ceremony. 4-5 years engagement is silly. You get Anand Karaj now, and then after university she you do muklawa, that is much more in the guidelines!
    • you need to explain that even the devtay kept their kes, and is a part of the ancestors' culture, that sikhi is also preserving the kshatriya and dharmik cultures!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use