Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Description

Fateh,

Listen to this description about physique and personality of Kalgidhar patshah Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Though i'm surprised know how yogi knows so much, about the source.

It's on the main page of http://www.sikhnet.com under the heading jaap sahib course. The audio's named "Being in the court of guru gobind singh ji"

Guest Dancing Warrior

A good way to find out will be to measure the length and structure of his personal shastras they would have been made to measure according to his arm length, hand etc. I have been told before that Guru Ji was about 5ft4. You have to remember that people were generally shorter in Guru jis time, that’s generally, globally. As life expectancies, nutrition, medicines have improved, physically, structurally human beings have become taller. One example is in most instants if you look at your parents you will see that you in most instants when fully grown will be a tad taller your parents, subsequently they were probably a bit taller than your great grandparents. As with all living things humans are also evolving all the time.

On another level, the mind set of tall, sharp featured, pal white gora, burly, Gurus as being angelically visually appeasing is nothing but European influenced stereotyping, two hundred years of British subcontinent rule has been pretty good at doing that. Also depictions of our Gurus looking like Anglo-Saxons with Aryan features as depicted by Sobha Singh is most misleading. The reality being when Sobha Singh was contracted to do the paintings of the Gurus he painted Guru Nanak Dev Ji wearing a Kashmiri type sili topi which is what he actually wore the S.G.P.C asked him to change it in to a round type distar. Maybe they were worried that people may see it as green light to wear topis, I don’t know. From what I know the original with the topi was also printed. From what I understand the picture of Guru Gobind Singh ji in Hazoor Sahib is a close resemblance to Guru ji. In the paining one can see that the dimensions and proportions seem more genuine and also the karas and attire are more correct and intone with a the period also you will notice that Guru jis Tegh/Kirpan is placed correctly curved down in a knotted kamarkusa.

I agree with you about the Seli tipi and the depiction of a westernised image (it has happened totally for Jesus), but from what I know Guru Gobind Singh Ji was not of a small stature, they were tall and wirey. Also if you look at the chola of Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji they were well over 6 feet, some say 6'4 some say 6'6, Guru Tegh Bahadure Sahib Ji was also tall, so it was trait that ran in the family.

I can understand the concern about the seli topi, and I have seen the picture, but if Guru Ji wore it then I have no problem with it.

I don't know if 5' 4" is correct. I heard in kathaa that Mataa Sahib Kaur was 6ft and Maharaaj was 6' 2" I think it was kathaa by Gyaani Thakur Singh at Baba Sang Guroo Ghar maybe a year ago about 1984.

Also 6th Paatshaa, I heard was close to 7ft but its hear say. I guess if one looks at his chola and kashera you would get a better idea.

Also cannot recall where I heard this one but apparently 10th Paatshaa's bunga was tall, something like 18 inches.

Don't quote me on anything I just posted, its just what I have come across over time. Only those who have had the darshan of our fathers could tell you from what they have actually seen.

what difference does it make how tall he was..................why, is your love for him determined by his hieght please lets talk about serious things