YOGA?

"Off topic, but I heard from a Gursikh that the "Gore" Sikhs immersed the ashes of Yogi Bhajan in the Ganga river, is this true? "

Mann kaum layee kurbann ji the above statement is absolutely false. They immersed Yogi ji's ashes at kiratpur sahib. I met an american sikh lady during my way to Espanola( hub of goree sikhs), she told me that she went to India for this purpose and she told me tht kiratpur sahib is an amazing place.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sat Sri Akal:

Yoga utilized as an exercise is nothing bad, which is what the majority of Western Sikhs are using it for, along with getting better concentration to meditate on the Almighty better.

What is anti-Gurmat is when a Sikh consider his/her religion to be yoga and sets aside the Almighty in that path.

104955[/snapback]

Well said!

I do Yoga myself, for three main reasons. First, I had an injury a few years back, which stiffened me up badly so I want to get my flexibility back and add to my exercise program. Second, I work in a highly stressful job and like the outlet. Third and biggest, I have ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.) Concentrating and focusing and Naam Simran is very, very hard for me. The poses and meditations do help loosen me up and concentrate so my mind's not flying all over the place when I should be talking to God.

Yoga is not my faith. I'm a Sikh. I thought Guru Nanak said that Yoga without Naam is useless. Yoga is a tool, like this keyboard I'm using is a tool to help me speak; but the keyboard is not my mouth, or mind.

I dont think that streching my back will help me find God, meditating "nothing" will not be bring me closer to God. But reading listening or repeating phrases of God will, thinking of HIM will, but trying to make my forhead touch my knee wont!

I tried posting the staring post on Sikhnet and they rejected it. grin.gif

105050[/snapback]

What is Nothing? What you speak of is Bhagti-Marg, Bhagti of God and there are many other types of Marg which have their own methods.

"Off topic, but I heard from a Gursikh that the "Gore" Sikhs immersed the ashes of Yogi Bhajan in the Ganga river, is this true? "

Mann kaum layee kurbann ji  the above statement is absolutely false. They immersed Yogi ji's ashes at kiratpur sahib. I met an american sikh lady during my way to Espanola( hub of goree sikhs), she told me that she went to India for this purpose and she told me tht kiratpur sahib is an amazing place.

105066[/snapback]

Thank you for the clarification singh. I guess there is a lot of misinformation out there among our community. The above statement was made by a prominent member of our community at gurdwara sahib so I think this should be brought up so lies are not spread. Anyways thanks again.

Fateh!

About meditating on "nothing", isn't the whole point of meditation to still the mind? Isn't the purpose of reading scriptures so that the mind goes into absolute stillness?

105146[/snapback]

No, the point is to be connected with god 24/7, u can do this while living a family life, while working, while doing anything...

eg. Satn jarnail singh ji use to do jap ji sahib paath while working on the farm...

u dont have to sit at one spot...

back in the days Singhs never use to close their eyes when doing keertan or ardas in guru jis darbar, they use to stand alert with eyes open, becuz sometimes moghuls would dress up as singhs and come attack ppl in teh darbar... singhs always use to do ardas eyes open with a kirpan in their hands...

u dont gotta be `stiill`only thing u gotta do is connect ur inside...

hmmm....i dont think theres ne thing wrong with yoga. I really like it! I think its a great way to learn how to control your mind, so when you read bani, you dont just say the words with your mouth, you listen to them with your ears and understand them without your mind wondering off to various places. And I know lossa ppl who, while doing yoga do simran. They connect every breath with Waheguru...just my thoughts tho...but i didnt know it was anti gurmat.... grin.gif

Guest A Singh.

Before arguing on whether or not Yoga is anti Gurmat, it has to be established what Yoga is. The Yoga commonly practised today, primarily focussing on the physical element, is not neccesarily the Yoga that is spoken about in Gurmat. Modern definitions of what "Yoga" is cannot be applied to what "Yoga" was 500 years ago.