HATE CRIMES DATABASE FOR UK SIKHS

HATE CRIMES DATABASE FOR UK SIKHS

Following the tragic events of Thursday 7 July in London and the growing reports of hate crimes against Sikhs it is important for the community to have basic information on the level, type and location of these crimes. This information will help Sikhs lobby the authorities to take appropriate actions as they appear to be currently failing the Sikh community.

A hate crime is when someone attacks another person verbally, via mail or email, or perhaps physically, and the crime is driven by the attacker's prejudice against a particular group of people. While more hate crime is verbal than physical, that does not mean it's not serious, or very upsetting for the person being harassed.

What should you do if it happens to you or someone you know?

Don't retaliate: you could risk violence or make the situation worse.

Do tell someone about it: hate crime is inexcusable and should be dealt with as soon as possible. If you're at school or college, tell a teacher or staff member what has happened and they'll help you sort it out and help you decide whether you want to inform the police.

In any situation, it's your right to go to the police, report a crime and have it investigated. If you're scared to go to the police there are hundreds of third-party reporting sites. These places are community centres, other public places including some Gurdwaras where you can discuss your situation with a person trained to fill in a crime form to notify the police. You can even notify the police of a non-urgent crime over the internet.

Many Sikhs are not on email therefore feel free to report second hand on any hate crimes that you become aware of in your locality.

Please visit: http://www.sikh-secretariat.com/sikh_incident_form.htm

to fill in a simple incident form.

The information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Note: The Sikh Secretariat has been asked to co-ordinate collation of the information so it can be used for the benefit of the Sikh community in getting the authorities to take this issue much more seriously.

Sikh Secretariat

www.sikh-secretariat.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has a Gurdwara in Leeds been attacked?

India shocked by attacks on mosque, Sikh temples in Britain

Sun Jul 10, 8:08 AM ET

India has expressed shock over reports that a mosque and two Sikh temples had been attacked by arsonists in Britain following this week's multiple bomb blasts in London.

"We have seen reports of attacks on Islamic places of worship in the wake of the events of July 7 in the United Kingdom," a government spokesman said in an e-mailed statement on Sunday.

"Such shocking attacks go against the spirit of pluralism and religious freedom which the United Kingdom upholds. We would hope that the perpetrators of these attacks will be expeditiously apprehended and every effort be made for the maintenance of peace and religious harmony in the United Kingdom."

Arsonists set a mosque in northwest England on fire on Saturday, police said, two days after a string of bomb attacks across London killed at least 50 people.

There were also reports in the Indian media Sunday that a Gurudwara -- a Sikh temple -- had been vandalised in an arson attack in Leeds.

According to the spokesman, two Sikh temples were attacked.

"Such attacks are an affront not only to the great Sikh religion but to entire humanity," the spokesman said.

"The Sikh community in the United Kingdom has carved out a highly respected place for itself in the British society through its industriousness and commitment," the spokesman said.

Any chance of a Sticky?

108102[/snapback]

Seconded!

108109[/snapback]

A SIKH IS A LIONESS OR A LION. IF ANY ONE TEASES A LION THEY ARE GONNA GET BIT. I DONT KNOW WHY THE MODERATERS SAY WE SHOULD NOT RETALIATE, WE ARENT SHEEPS WE ARE THE KHALSA OF SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI, IF THEY ANY RACIST THUG WANTS TO BATTLE WE WILL GIVE THEM A BATTLE. WHOS WITH ME.

Guest Faujan

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Wish I could attend........

A SIKH IS A LIONESS OR A LION. IF ANY ONE TEASES A LION THEY ARE GONNA GET BIT. I DONT KNOW WHY THE MODERATERS SAY WE SHOULD NOT RETALIATE, WE ARENT SHEEPS WE ARE THE KHALSA OF SRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI, IF THEY ANY RACIST THUG WANTS TO BATTLE WE WILL GIVE THEM A BATTLE. WHOS WITH ME.

108130[/snapback]

No one has accused you of being a sheep. No one has denied your status as a lion. You may not know why the moderators say we should not retaliate, but they are not stupid, and have good reasons that others might understand. They are sensible, and you will not lose anything by following this advice of theirs.

We are indeed the Khalsa of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj, however, as His Khalsa, we have forgotten many things. These things are vital in living the life of a true Khalsa.

One of those is how we should not lift arms until it is the last resort. Racists will not be rid of by violence. If you think so, think again.

bhull chuk maaf

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa! Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Any chance of a Sticky?

108102[/snapback]

Seconded!

108109[/snapback]

108130[/snapback]

that's just the response they want, so that they can get out of trouble with the police. People can be stupid and irrational. What you have to ask yourself, is whether or not ur just another guy that's being stupid and irrational or are you a true singh of guru gobind singh ji? A true singh would never react in such a manner.

meeting tomorrow (JULY/11TH/MONDAY) frm 6pm onwards to discuss security issues @ Guru Nanak Dev Ji Gurughar Sedgely St, W-ton

108142[/snapback]

Could you please tell me how this meeting went and what was discussed with who, Commitee, in sangat, Darbar Hall, Commitee office...etc. I would really appreciate this as I was not able to attend!

Thanks in advance!

:doh: Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!! :doh:

The police are perhaps the worst culprits.

Yesterday one singh i know had 6 police cars full of cops called up on him. Two of them held his arms and pinned him against the wall while around 10 stood around him and the rest stood by their cars.

The police said they had recieved a call of a bearded man carrying a knife.

When the police approached the guy they said that they had recieved the call but recognised him as a baptised sikh and understood that he wore the kirpan.

Yet they STILL continued to pin up up the wall for a further 5 minutes refusing to let him go as he was 'agitated'. What they expected god only knows. The guy never lost his temper but very clearly told the cops that this was a complete joke and just ridiculous.

They guy was right outside his office of work and was actually just walking in having had lunch. The police manhandled and caused a scene in front of around 300+ people wo were sitting around watching a 'terrorist suspect' being manhandled and questioned by the police.

In the end there was NOTHING that the police could charge him with since he was breaking NO laws, yet they still detained him, embarrased him and caused a scene and controversy for NO reason!! I repeat they admitted that they knew that he was a sikh who wore a kirpan within 30 seconds of meeting him!

So why the extra harrasement?

The pigs are just trying to show the public that they are active and doing something, if that means harrassing innocent people then so be it. They are clueless and are jumping at everything. They never even produced a stop and search warrant.

So, forget the PIGS, they aint going to help us.

Ill pass on the details of the incident to the sikh bodies shortly.

Advice: if the police stop you, stay VERY calm, they will aggravate you and wind you up so that you react in ANY way, even if u swear at them, they will arrest you just for the show of being active. Try not to give them an excuse, thats all they are looking for.

Ps the above took place in Birmingham city centre, which has one of the highest sikh populations in the country and where the singh has been working for the last year. If it happens here, it will happen elsewhere, be warned, the pigs are not our friends, they only looking out for themselves and their own statistics and figures.