Sikhism/chrisitanity

tkkookar

I can help you with that! my family is christian, and i was raised christian... but surprize, surprize...! lolol

Timeline overview:

All this started off from Judaism, the first prophet named Abraham was given visions from God, that there is only one God... and to bring his family and followers of One God, to the Holy Land of Canaan. Then, Jesus came, born from a jewish family and saw all the corruption around him, wanted to bring peace and love back so he began preaching to the common people, and was proclaimed to be the Massiah (savior). - later in history, islam was born, coming from the same origins as judaism and christianity.

There are 2 main divisions: Catholics and Protestants

All Christians beleive:

- in One God (omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient).

- that Jesus was sent to Earth (as a messenger, though some call him the son of God - Jesus himself didnt say he was the "Only" son of God; he meant we are all children of God) to spread the -good news- that God exists and loves them, do good deeds, etc.

- that Jesus is the Massiah, described in the Jewish Scriptures; the old testament, the Torah

- that jesus gave his life, out of love for his people, and to carry the sins of the world, so that the gates of heaven may be openned. (symbolically speaking)

- in the concept of heaven and hell (though, interestingly enough the early christian church beleived in reincarnation - somewhere along the lines of history that changed)

- that one should: spread the good news that jesus brought, be a good person, help others/share... love your enemies, an eye for an eye...

- that one should obey the ten commandments given by God to Moses (a prophet of judaism):

1-I am the Lord thy God and thou shalt not have other gods besides me. (dont worship idols)

2-Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

3-Remember the Lord's Day (Sabbath - sunday) to keep it holy.

4-Honor thy Father and Mother.

5-Thou shalt not kill.

6-Thou shalt not commit adultery.

7-Thou shalt not steal.

8-Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

9-Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife.

10-Thou shalt not covet (thy neighbours goods). (dont be be greedy)

Catholic Christians beleive:

- that Mary, the mother of Jesus was a <admin-profanity filter activated> when she became pregnant with Jesus - that infact God had given her a holy child by immaculate conception

- in saints blessed by God and in miracles performed by jesus, saints, and by God.

- in the Trinity : God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit (3 aspects in one)

- in communion ("this is my body, this is my blood, take this in rememberance of me") The ceremony that happenned on Good Friday, the last supper jesus had before he was crucified.

- in Forgiveness; that by confessing one's sins, you are purified and forgiven, and may enter the kingdom of heaven.

Protestants:

(this is a branch created by King of England: Henry the 8th)

-that divorce is ok

-mary wasnt a <admin-profanity filter activated>

-dont beleive in saints and stuff

(besides that, same as above)

(part 2 is coming: the differences with sikhism and christianity)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Differences:

- Jesus and the previous prophets or the Gurus

- the bible or Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

- one life, vs the concept of reincarnation and karma

- heaven and hell vs the concept of becoming one with God

- Sunday Sabbath (church going) vs rehat code of conduct, nitnem, simran, bana 5K

- Final Judgement vs Remembering God and Becoming one with God with his grace

- Baptism with holy water or Amrit ceremony when one is ready to take it

- Communion by taking a host, or communion by rememberance and love

- God the Father, or Gurdayv Mata, Gurdayv Pita

- God as apart from, or God as trancendant

- beleif in Satan, or not

- Church or Gurudwara, priest or gyani

- Dont cover your head, or cover your head (actually, in Christianity until about 75 years ago, women were supposed to cover their head in church)

- Scriptures written by the followers of Jesus - about jesus, or Scriptures written by the Gurus themselves

ah....... i could go on and on.... lololol but if you want to really know, go to a service yourself and see the difference there. and look in the bible and see the differences there also... lol

WJKK WJKF

And also i would lyk to add a lil comment i herd frm one of my veerjis/penjis in my own words..

Jesus's sacrifice:

- For his own people

- Asked God y he went thru such suffering

- REsurrected aftawarrds

- Not forgetting to mention: his 12 disciples denied that they follow Jeses to save their live (which is y 13 is bad luck since jesus was 13th person)

Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji;s sacrifice:

- For DIFFERENT religion, for freedom of mankind

- Thanked God and said the toruturing was blissful (tera keeya meeta laage)

- Dint resurrect, but what he did create was a family full of sacrifice, so more than 1 resrection, it was ressurection x 5! (His son, 4grandsons)

- Bhai Mati Das, Sati Das and 1 other 1 forgot the name (sorry!! blush.gif ) burned in cotton wool, boiled to death, and cut in half!!

Soz if i sound biased but isit this true? i respect jesus for his sacrifice but nothing can compare to our Guru Ji;s sacrifice :) this is not a comparison, but a CONTRAST.

WAHEGURU!!!! :doh:

WJKK WJKF

hmm .. none other religious books tell us about our five evil things .. kaam karodh lobh moh ehankar.. and how to over come them .. and what is life .. only shri guru granth sahib ji tell us ... hindu christian and islam .. says same things .. love god .. do good deeds.. and go to heavn ..there is god .. but guru ji came and told us that besides all these things .. there is sach khand and reality of life ...

one question for ambrosia .. does christian believe in give equal rights to women .. as sikhism does?????

some r th fact that god is said to look like a man

mans form

which sikhi says vaheguru is bharppoor, all prevaiding

another wud be that jesus is only tru son of god, in sikhi we are all equal children of god

another is the conecept of what heaven is, in christianity, heaven is a place where u live with ure family in paradise, no disease, alays food, etc., no death  nothing

sikhi says sach khand is complete absorbtion into akaal

u become one with akaal, like water with water, sun rays with sun rays, and u expierenc anand beyond words, with akaal everywhere, and inside and out u see akaal, everywhere, and u hear anhad shabad, and naam, and just anand

it is just u becoming one with vaheguru

that is sach khand

and another is hell/heaven vs reincarnation

sikhi says  there is hell, narak, and heaven, and khands, and brhamands, but above all is sach khand, oness with akaal, and there is a place where u are tortured for sins, narak, but after u are judged in dharm rias court u ar sent to a place for a set time, then after that u are back in the cycl of reincarnation for a set time for each joon, and then with vaheguurus kirpa onl u can break this cycle and beocme one with him, sach khand

and all heavens do exist, but all r lower than sach khand, which is comepltly becomeone one with akaal

a common thing is both say have complete love for god, devotion, path of love, this is most important thing, jin prem keeo thin he prabh paaao

plus both preach good deeds to fellow man

never hurt anyones heart

love

complelte faith, no doubt, no bharm

theres a lot more common things, and some mor different things

if u look in more deeeply

but i think thes are some comparisons

bhula chuka maf

112445[/snapback]

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh

gupt daasan ji i daily hear katha of late gyani sant singh ji maskeen

he several time mentioned that there is no heaven no hell.a person living with all the worldly pleasures is living in heaven .on the other hand a person born on street

living on street sufferring from diseases is living in hell.so sikhism does not beleive in heaven or hell.both the places are on earth.

bhul chuk maaf

rang na lagee parbrahm

tha sarpar narkai jaae

whoever is not coloured with pyaar for vaheguru je, will be sent to narak

so there is a place guru je is sending us

bhai sahib also in his book says it is wrong to think these realms are just imaginary, they do exist

u shud read the book

a gursikh doesnt go to either narak or svaarg

they go to sachh khand, completly becoming one with akaal

one who wants to go to svaarg, heaven, is not smart because he will end up reincarnation into svaarg and narak again and again

we shud merge into vaheguru je

not aim for svaarg

but there is a svaarag and narak, sach khand, etc.

bhula chuka maf

That is true. In Sikhism, Hell is living while being detached from God and perfrming wrong actions. Heaven is living in will of God and living with honesty, integrity. WOrking hard to earn a living. Remembring God at every step. Hell is taking drugs, commiting sins and crimes, smuggling drugs, taking Gurudwara money or living in another life form such as a dog or cat. Once again there is no heaven or hell like the one mentioned by other religions.

Diff. Between Christianity and Sikhism.

Aside from the ones mentioned.

Christianity ------------------------------------ Sikhism

Cutting hair ok-----------------------------Cutting hair big sin

Fasting -----------------------------------Fasting is anti-Sikh

Living as a renunciate--------------------- No need for renunciation

Renunciation is greater -------------------Family life is greater

Jesus only son of God -------------------- Everyone is God's child

Waiting until judgement day --------------Death is the time when the decision on

to know where to go -------------------where to go is made

Musical instruments banned by -----------Music very usefull in remembring and

traditional Christianity --------------praising God

Hell and Heaven-----------------------------No hell or heaven

No Sachkhand ---------------------------- Sachkhand

Mean Jealous God ------------------------Sweet and Nice God

God hates non Charistians ---------------God loves everyone

Jesus forgives sins in a second -----------Sins don't get forgiven easily (only God

(commit as many as you want)-----------can forgive sins)

----------------------------------------------- This only happens when a person vows

------------------------------------------------0not to commit the siin again and does

----------------------------------------------- good deeds and praises God

There might be more which I don't know of or don't remember now.

biggest difference between Christianity and Sikhi is that christianity's goal is to make it to heaven and on judgement day be saved by jesus christ( So basically Jesus has done everything for you so just chill lay back and relax).

Sikhs' goal is to conquer the mind(fight five vices) which keeps us away from realizing our oneness with Akaal Purakh or God.

Sikhi is a scientifiaclly sound faith, i mean look all around you, how many people attend therapy to solve their issues. The therapists basically probe the individual's mind, thoughts etc. Sikhi has always known that all problems begin with the mind.

Man Jeeta Jag Jeet, conquer the mind conquer the world. No faith has ever realized this.

peace.