How Did U Find Him?

Heera Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Reading these inspirational stories has made daas want to share his as well. Though it is not important, but here daas goes.

As a child growing up in Surrey, BC daas didnt have any Sikhi what-so-ever. As daas started to grow up, daas was always angry, to much kaam and krodh. Childhood was bad for daas and daas' parents as daas was a very big and annoying brat. Nothing would change me, daas was too stubborn.... until Guru ji put daas onto the Sikhi path.

It was just overnight or anything, it takes time to come into Sikhi, Guru ji makes us all take many tests to see where we are at and what we need to improve on. In actuality, daas was a Sikh by name, not by religion though daas knew some little itty-bitty stuff about Sikhi due to grandparents, parents and chacha-thai's.

The real change happened in elementary school. For some odd reason, Guru ji wanted daas never to be part of the "cool" people. Even if given the change to, daas would stay with the "cool" people but didn't like their sangat as the "cool" people would always be mean and mock other people which hurt daas a lot. Then sometimes people would always ask daas, "why do you keep your hair, why don't you cut it?" and "oh, that other boy cut his turban, why don't you?" Daas would answer saying that its part of my religion to not cut my hair and those who do are bad and sinners. This happened around grade 5-7. Daas' Sikhi was growing, but slowly. Daas remembers lecturing his teachers on Sikhi and how great it was. Daas remembers his teacher saying "Wow, what a great religion." As daas got into High School, again daas didn't really like the cool people, but because daas wasn't really into Sikhi then, daas wished to be with them. Also, daas thinks this effects everyone at some point in their life, is the fact that in High School the people you see have all changed. The girls are "innocent" anymore but they change and wear provocative clothing or clothing which our Kaam finds very good. For daas, kaam had always been a problem. Daas hated it, but didn't know how to fight it. So, eventually daas would always "let go," not fight back and accept kaam. Daas would always think tio himself, "why aren't i cool" "why don't girls like me" etc, all due to kaam. But, as Guru ji willed, daas would never be a part of the "Cool" people and stay with his other, elementary or "low class" friends daas made (please note daas doesnt consider these "low class" friends as low class but just saying as daas knows the "cool" poeple thought them wierd and unfit for them to be around.)

After awhile, since daas' sister and daas were in High School, daas' parents decided to buy a computer. Now thanks to the internet, daas was connected to the world, especially Sikhi. Daas found many websites on Sikhi and what Sikhi is, 5 kakkars and their significance. But then at the same time, other worse things would happen to daas while on the internet. It was an on-going battle. At school, daas would always start religious conversations with followers of different faiths or athiest's. It was really futile talking with them, but daas got a reputation for being "Religious" and people would say "oh, don't mess his giani" etc etc. Grade 8 went by and then grade 9 and so forth. Each year daas would have gains in Sikhi, yet have faults at the same time (Daas thinks this happens to everyone at some point in School or just in life in general.) Grade 10 came along and daas did a really stupid thing. Daas sent a "love" letter to a goree girl whom daas liked. It was the stupidiest thing daas could do, but daas did it. Why?, because daas was in bad sangat and the sangat told me to do it. So daas told one of his friends to give it to her. The girl received it and she was shocked that she got the letter. She was even more shocked at how "cheesy" the letter was. The friend who daas gave the letter to told some people and in the end the girl found out. After that day, we both have never been the same. We always look away from eachother, never make eye contact, etc. That was the stupidiest thing daas did in grade 10. Then, amazingly after that day daas just let go of things, just concentrated on Sikhi mostly and school. As the summer came, daas would spend his time on the computer looking up on Sikhism. Daas would spend hours and hours and hours on the internet just to make a connection with Sikhi and Guru Sahib ji. Daas would read inspirational stories on Gursikhs and be amazed at how they lived their lives accoriding to Rehit and just how much INTENSE love they had for Waheguru Ji and Guru Sahib. Daas always wished he could be at that avastha too. Then one day, daas met someone. Daas would like to keep their identity gupt. But this individual changed daas' life. In grade 11, while on in the internet, daas went to a forum site and there was someone who just stuck out at daas. Daas, amazingly got hold of their email and added them to his msn. Know, for personal and private reasons daas wishes to keep what we talked about private, but this person was so in love with Waheguru ji that daas could not believe it. Their avastha was sooooo high, yet they were young at age. Not even amritdhari, yet did amritvela. It was amazing! Honestly, what daas is saying is nothing compared to how daas FEELS when talking about this individual. Then, after awhile it so happened that daas and this individual would not talk, due to certain issues (no, there was no kaam just other reasons that are best kept gupt.) Later on, on the same forum site, another Gursikh stuck out to daas and daas sent them an email. The most amazing part was, when they asked me where daas got their email from, daas said that if you clicked their name their email would show because they typed it in the box where it says they want their email to be displayed (Tapoban Forums.) They sent daas an email back saying that was strange as they NEVER put their email up on those forums (it was as if Guru ji wanted us to know eachother, its hard to describe.) The Gursikh and daas started talking, again please forgive me but what we two talked about is something which should be gupt and it was only told to daas. This Gursikh's avastha is very high and he told daas some very amazing things which daas is not allowed to disclose. Eventually, daas and this Gursikh were not meant to talk due to the Gursikh saying that they would like to decrease their time on the computer and focus more on Simran and Bani (Sikhi.) But, those conversations we had changed daas and left daas wanting more. Due to this Gursikh and the previous Gursikh daas met, daas was changed forever. Daas started to also, at this time, come to know of the Akhand Kirtani Jatha and Bhai Randhir Singh. Daas loved the Akhand Kirtani Jatha and was amazed and breath-taken at the amazing Gursikhi and Prem for Waheguru filled life of Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh Ji. Daas got more and more influenced by the Jatha. The day daas took amrit, daas didn't even know it was going to happen, yet daas did. Something strange happened to daas, daas does not know whether to talk about it or not, but for now daas will keep it gupt. All daas can say is that Bhai Sahib Bhai Randhir Singh is a part of it. On April 23/2006 daas was iniated into the Khalsa Panth. But before taking amrit, daas was nervous and scared and didn't know whether to take amrit or not. So daas took a Hukamnama which was taken from www.SikhiToTheMax.com. It was Bhai Gurdas Ji and Bhai Gurdas said:

namasakaar guradhaev ko sathanaam jis ma(n)thr sunaayaa||

bhavajal vchio(n) kaadtakae mukath padhaarathh maa(n)hi samaayaa||

janam maran bho kaattiaa sa(n)saa rog vijog mittaayaa||

sa(n)saa eih sa(n)saar hai janam maran vich dhukh sabaayaa||

jamadha(n)dd siro(n) n outharai saakath dhurajan janam gavaayaa||

charan gehae guradhaev kae sath sabadh dhae mukath karaayaa||

bhaae bhagath gurapurab kar naam dhaan eishanaan dhrirraayaa||

jaehaa beeo thaehaa fal paayaa ||a||

I bow before the Guru (Guru Nanak Dev) who recited the satinam mantra(for the world).

Getting (the creatures) across the world ocean He raptly merged them in liberation.

He destroyed the fear of transmigration and decimated the malady of doubt and separation.

The world is only illusion which carried with it much of birth, death and sufferings.

The fear of the rod of Yama is not dispelled and the sakts, the followers of the goddess, have lost their lives in vain.

Those who have caught hold of the feet of the Guru have been liberated through the true Word.

Now being full of loving devotion they celebrate the gurprubs (anniversaries of the Gurus) and their acts of rememberance of God, charity and holy ablutions, inspire others also.

As someone sows, so he reaps.

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...41&Format=2

After reading this, daas knew there was no other option but to take amrit. The Sanchaar was held by the Akhand Kirtani Jatha at Khalsa Primary School just across Khalsa School in Surrey, BC. At 1:00am in the morning, daas was a new born child rescued by Guru Gobind Singh ji and Mata Sahib Kaur Ji. Now, daas tries his best to follow Sikhi and thanks to Guru ji, daas has found the True Sangat and now is free from everything. Dhan Guru, Dhan Guru Pyare. What more can daas say. Everything happens as Guru ji wants it to happen.

(please note there have been some things which have not been mentioned, they are not bad but daas wishes they remain gupt. Maaf kardo)

Now all daas has to say is that we should all, as a Panth Jap as Much NAAM as we can and save ourselves from this TERRIBLE World Ocean which is drowning us.

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

*Wahe Gurooooo*

Bhul Chuk Maaf karna sangat jio.

- daas

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

VGJKK VGJKF

Before posting my story I would just to say that the above stories and posts are amazing. I was in tears after reading them.

My story is no different than most of the above. I was born and raised in a family where it was partying, drinking and eating. You know the typical Punjabi family. However the best thing happened to us (my family and I) about five years ago. My dad met this person at work with whom he became really close and I got to say this person changed our lives for the better. They say God sends angels for each and every one of us, I always thought this was not true till out angel came to help us out. This person told us about the weekly sangat which was held in Mississauga and basically what it was all about. So one day my dad asked us if we wanted to go and we all seemed interested and off we went. When we got there and sat down to listen to the kirtan the first thing that popped into my head was “wow”. It was all I could say about what I had experienced that day, it seemed as though I was missing something in my life. There was something about Sangat which made it so beautiful and just starting to attend it I had no idea what it was.

We started going regularly and made it a must to attend every weeks sangat. It was here that we totally stopped eating and became veggies. My dad one day just said ths is wrong but he didn’t stop us from eating. He said if you feel it’s right go ahead but outside not in the house. It’s funny because since my dad stopped eating so did everyone else, it just didn’t seem right any more and after constantly going to sangat we learned that we were living such a wrong life all along. At this time I did not know how to read Punjabi so I used to get my dad to read the Gurbani to me or whenever he was reading it I would go sit and listen and question him when I didn’t understand anything.

Attending weekly Sangat would have to be the best thing that happened to me but I always wonder while I was there what was it about this place that attracted me so much? I always gave it great deep thought but still no answer, then we started attending samagams and other kirtan programs and that’s when it hit me. There was something different about sangat and that was the fact that it was about togetherness. I mean when we did kirtan everybody sang along. There was just so much love in Sangat, it was a kind of love I would never have gotten anywhere else. My dad recently took Amrit in Atlanta and I will never forget that day because when he called to tell me this I cried over the phone. I cried because I was so happy for him, he had always wanted to take Amrit and he finally did, I had to just cry. Some more time later came a day when I was sitting in Sangat enjoying the kirtan and I thought about how much my life had changed since we started coming here. That’s when I looked around and said to myself ‘I am going to take Amrit.’

Well it was really easy to say but when I had the opportunity I let go of it because, over time, I lost that inspiration. I don’t know why but now I didn’t want to do it however we still continued to go to sangats and samagams. Most recently the Toronto Samagam took place and man I got to say it was the best because I was inspired so much that I’m now preparing myself to take Amrit. So I have made a promise next Samagam where its gona take place, I’m gona be there taking it.

And I have got to add that sangat has changed my life for good. Its help me grow in so many ways and I’m so thankful to all those who helped me get where I am right now. That’s for my story sorry if I bored any of you. If there are any spelling mistakes bhul chuk maaf.

VGJKK VGJKF…………….DGN…………WAHEGURU

• 6 months later...

alright guys, its noobie time. heres my story. = )

So I was born in a Sikh family with two older sisters. Some of my early memories remember my dad in a pugh, and others remember him with cut hair. He decided to keep his hair shortly after my birth. Everybody else in my family, mom and sisters and i, kept our kesh since birth. :) hehe. My mom was always into Sikhi, and luckily, it rubbed off on me. d_oh.gif :TH:

I was originally born in New Jersey. :cool: As a typical Sikh family, we would go to Gurudwara every sunday, occasionally on GurPurabhs. ( occasionally :sady: ) You guys know how 6-7-8 year olds are; or atleast how i was. I would sit with my mom anad sisters, pay no attention to the kirtan going on, look forward to receiving parshaad cause if its sweet taste. hehe. I would quickly eat langar so that I could get up and go spin in the circles where no-one was sitting with all the other kids. yea. i would spin in circles. lol. :umm:

I would go to school with my joora and patka on my head, but I knew nothing of my religion. I knew nothign of myself. People would ask, and I would give short, quick answers. shortly after giving the answers, i would ponder myself if my answers were correct; recess would always help me forget about things though. LOL.gif

When I was...around..8 years old, me and my family moved to our current location. Houston, Texas.

let me clear things up. not everybody wears cowboy hats. There aren't snakes roaming around the streets. (well..there are, but they are usually in the gardens. lol.) and we do not ride horses to school. :)LOL.gif

Yea. So. Houston. Bigggg change for me. Honestly, for the better. The sangat here opened my eyes. opened my eyes verrrrry widely. In houston, i actually had/have cousins with their full kesh, and that changed my view on myself as well as Sikhi completely. I would go to Gurudwara with them, and instead of spinning in circles, i would see them doing seva. slowly, i started passing out spoons and napkins. I would sit upstairs during the kirtans with them, and they would explain the shabads to me. Slowly and slowly, more and more interest about sikhi came to me. I would go on the computer and look things up and ask around about things. It just kept growing and growing. It got to the point, where my older sisters would come and ask me questions about sikhi, and i would generally, straight-forwardly give them an answer.

When i was around 11 and a half ish, i started waking up amrit vela. i started doing my nitnem daily. Amrit was constantly on my mind, but i needed to to mentally know if i was ready and if i was committed. I kept up with my rehit, and continued to listen to Kirtan whenver i go the chance.

When I was thirteen, I took a look at myself. and saw a change. I wasn't that little unsure bachaa with a patka and his pants up to his neck. ( typical . mom always made me pull up my pants. lol) I wasn't listening to hip-hop/rock/..everything. I basically wasn't listening to american music anymore, and all i had was kirtan on my mp3 player. A feeling overcame me, and I decided I was ready to take Amrit. My mother and I took Amrit in april of 2006.

Its about to be a years since then, and i can honeslty say, i personally feel im living for a better reason now, then to go to Gurudwara to spin in circles. I have been keeping up with my rehit and doing my nitnems. yet, I still learn something new about Sikhi everday. Every single day. Thats how I know that Sikhi is the religion for me. and all in all, thats how i met/ hope to meet Him. ( hehe. title of thread)

My two cents.

Bhull Chuk Maaf Karni.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!!

okay so a lot of people have been complainin bout the 'lack of inspiration' on this site... however i can argue there's A LOT of it.... even refert to humble kaurs post...

anywhoo... i know one thing that works for me is hearing how other people got into sikhi... every time i talk to sum1 and they tell me how they found Vaheguru that's a HUGE inspiration for me.. and referring to humble kaurs post, we remember Guru jee when we're in pain, but we forget Guru jee when we're happy and everythings goin peachy..

So i was thinin to start a thread on 'life stories'..... basically how everybody found Guru jee, how they found sikhi, and what inspired THEM to become a Sikh...

hope to hear a lot of stuff :) ...

Vaheguruuu..!!

Jap man sat naam.. sadaa sat naam!

Friend,

Lucky are those who get picked by him to Jaap his Naam and luckier are those who have found him..

I went deep into sikhi.. inspired by Kalgidhar Patshahji's sacrifices. I felt that a person, as true as him, cannot sacrifice his entire SELF for a worthless purpose.. So great are his sacrifices that when I imagine his tiny Saahibzadas being bricked alive, I say *dhan ney ae nikke sahibzaade they dhann dhann ne aena di maata ji jinaane aenaa noo kaum layee jammeya.. dhaan ne patshahji, jinna ne keha.. ki kaash mere hor saahibzaade hunde tey unna noo vi kaum toh vaar sakda*

I pray to guru ji.. to keep me near his *charan* and that I may always be a sikh... and may I bring my guru ji to pride.

*vaddaah mera gobind.. agam agochar*

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji!