What Canadians Really Think Of Sikhs

Singh47

Those in power such as editors of newspapers and their corporate circles are aware that such stupid opinions don’t hold water. However, these low IQ opinions in the paper of the nation’s capital are printed to create and perpetuate opinion and certain power structures, not to REFlect opinion.

Sikhs are a psychological threat to mainstream (predominantly wealthy white) powerbroker Canadians because no matter how much they self-rationalize that they are not racist, they cannot first admit that part of their psyche is racist and comes from thoughts embedded in their brains when they were children. The racism is perpetuated due to their socially incubated lifestyle. These conservative “intellectuals” take refuge under the banner of multiculturalism to express their racism by suggesting that they are doing minorities a service by being accepting.

Sikhs are encraching on the fringes of this power structure. It is critical that they don’t sell their own out. It is critical that when Sikhs see other sikhs selling out, they call them up on it. The saddest example is monay politicians who call themselves Sikh as if it is a Jatt birthright. What more reason do you need to say the kirpan or dastar is not necessary?!! Sikhs with influence need to take a strong poised stand. This law student is a shining example.

There are so many sell-outs who will do whatever it takes simply to get into a profession. However, this soldier chose to stand out in the crowd. Credit also goes to MP Navdeep Singh Bains who spoke out on this issue, unlike cowardly politicians before him, who now claim to be “sikh” as it is synonymous with political influence, but on their rise to power did everything to disassociate themselves from sikhi and in fact called their own terrorists.

Sikhs who become professionals need to take care not to put the suit and tie (men & women of course) ahead of sikhi. The mainstream powerbroker to his/her credit upon getting to know a real Sikh often end up having great respect. This is a starting point toward saying we don’t care for their respect anymore than they care for our respect.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, these people have no idea what the KIRPAN is, they should feel very grateful that Sikhs are living in their country. I mean when they see a Sikh with a Kirpan they should know that this person is ready to give up his life to fight against opression.

129345[/snapback]

TRUE

they will only find out when THEY are facing oppression! and ges who gna protect them?? us!

O yeh but maybe theyll forget abt us helping them.. jsut lyk the loyal hindus did. "sardar ji bara baj gey" "hindu ji, teri maa bhen nu bachon lahi :) "

Gorai on the whole are always gonna dislike us, most of the time its covered up, but when you allow them to post under a fake name their real feelings come out. Even the papers are biased towards Sikhs, even if they play it of like their not...

dont look for support from anyone... realize its just a poltical game, and learn to play it...

only time someone is going to respect you is when you have more power over them

129355[/snapback]

TRUE!

Here is an email i sent to about fifty people. PLEASE we must all do our part. I didn't have alot of time when i wrote this up so please forgive me for any mistakes. Also I am seriously a moorakh and i don't know much about sikhi. Can we get some learned people to write this person back. PLZ PLZ PLZ we must flood them so we get their attention.

......................................................................................................................

THIS WAS TAKEN FROM A SIKH FORUM PLEASE FLOOD THIS NEWS PAPERS WITH EMAILS. KEEP ON EMAILING DO NOT STOP UNTIL SOMETHING IS DONE. MY EMAIL AT THE END OF THIS. FEEL FREE TO COPY AND PASTE MINE IF YOU WANT sanderson@thecitizen.canwest.com

.......................................................................................................................................

In response to the Kirpan, here's what the Canadian public has to say. What a Multicultural and accepting place! The fact that Balpreet Singh is born and raised in Canada makes no difference and newspapers like the Ottawa Citizen allow comments like this to appear:

Name: Citizen A

Email: ashamed to be Canadian

For God's sake. When are we going to put an end to this and start putting these people in their place? If we went to there country, we would have to follow the rules and customs of their nation, so why is it that when they come here they are not expect to give us the same common curtise? They don't like it here than leave. In this country, accurding to our laws and custums, carring a wepon is a crime and something that is considered intollerable. Yes there are Canadain custums and traditions, but we know little about them, because we allow immagrents and refugees to come here and do as they please. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Every other nation protects their customs, traditions and laws exept Canada. If Shikes are allowed to carry weapons, then I should be allowed to carry a weapon as well. As matter of fact we should be allowed or not allowed to carry weapons. One nation = one set of laws. If I got into fight with one of them, I would use a weapon, because they have one, period

Name: Jon Citizen

Email: n/a

If you move to a different country that is mostly Judeo-Christian and you come from the Middle East or India you must accept that our culture and beliefs do not support transporting a sabre or sword on our person (i.e. body). While Canada has been spared terrorist activities (so far) most travelers on a train or plane live in places where terrorism is a constant threat. I am always amazed that the first thing that many of these people from radically different cultures from ours learn is how to scream discrimination and how to file a lawsuit.

Name: Modeno

Why oh why does it have to be us Canadians who have to kneel when faced with some kind religion? Now as far as I know, Via rail is Canadian, so why should they try to do something regarding someone getting on the train with a dagger strung around the belt? My God! when are we going to wake up and put our pants on and tell these people that if they want to live in Canada, they will have to abide by the laws of the land. Religion was invented by men, so don't tell me that God Almighty told them to wear a dagger at all time! I really wonder what would happen if we tried to do the same things in their country? We would most probably get shot on the spot!

Name: Sean P. Hogan

Just another example of how the immigrants in this country are trying to shove their beliefs down our throats. If you have to wear a dagger as part of your religion, it doesn't say much for the religion. At the same time, they don't care about the safety of passengers, just themselves, so selfish and so uncaring.

Name: Andy

When are these people going to learn that we have laws in this country that they have to abide by if they wish to live here.

We do not allow citizens to carry weapons, religious or not, end of story.

Whether or not you worship God, Allah, Vishnu or Casper the Friendly Ghost, you will have to do it without a knife, M16 or ground to air missile launcher. If you cannot abide by these rules, there are plenty of medieval middle east countries who can accomodate you.

MY EMAIL

......................................................................................................................................

I was appalled when I came across this on an internet forum. For a Newspaper to allow such hate filled remarks based on prejudices is sickening. This so called “unbiased” journalism is contributing the degradation of our society. Every person who is or has been a victim of a hate crime, whether you be muslim, sikh, Christian, or whatever else can blame it partially on these types of newspapers. Freedom of speech is fine, but to allow comments that you know will lead to tensions betweens communities is unacceptable. It is fine if you want these types of messages on your newspaper if you allow people who are knowledgeable in sikhisim to reply back. What is sad to say is that people who allow this kind of hate to be spread usually do it because they feel the same way. On a side note maybe you want to tell these educated people who have made these comments that it is not even your country to start with. On what bases are you people saying that “these people come to our county”. What makes this more your country then someone who was born and raised here (Which Balpreet Singh is). So maybe “you people” need pick up a text book and realize that the native people were here way before you guys showed up. Maybe you need to take the core lessons of Sikhism and apply them to your lives.

Sikhsim is a faith that follows Guru Granth Sahib ji which on many occasions states the equality of people as god's children. The Kirpan is not a dagger, it is a symbol for truth and justice that a sikh who has been baptized is required to wear. Not for intimidation purposes but to be reminded of their great heritage. To help Sikhs remind themselves to always help the oppressed. Before a Gursikh starts his or her day he/she is required to wake up early and meditate on the name of God. A Sikh is to reflect on the greatness of God and God’s creation. At the end of each prayer session of a Gursikh the words he is required to utter are “Nanak Naam Chardi Kalla, Terai Bhanai Sarbatt da Bhalla” Guru Nanak Dev Ji the first Guru of the Sikhs is asking God to bless humanity. Not just Sikhs, but every single human being regardless of caste, creed or color. A Sikh is required to keep a strict code of conduct which promotes love, equality and justice. Sikhism is a faith that believe love to be the its core principle in every aspect of life.

Here are some quotes from our Gurus. "JIN PREM KIYO TIN HE PRABH PAYO" Guru Gobind Singh Ji. (Only those who love will be able to reach God". Manas ki jaat sabhay Ekhai Pashanbo. Guru Gobind Singh Ji (Reconize all humanity as One). Äval Allah Noor Opaiya Kudrat Kay Sabh Bandhae, Aik Noor Thae Sabh Jag Opaiya Kaun Bhalae Kaun Mandhae.” Bhagat Kabir Jee (First, Allah created the Light; then, by his creative power. He made all mortal beings. From the one light the whole world welled up, so who is good and who is bad). Also Sikhsim is the only non-denominational writing in history. Not only did the sikh Gurus write this scripture but they put in writings from people of other faiths. They did 'not discriminate based on religion they included writing based on the higher truth of spirituality.

I want to let you people know that I am a Sikh youth who has limited knowledge of Sikhism. But I am in the process of letting others more learned Sikhs know about this issue and they will be writing to you soon. You people being the voice for the people have a duty to inform people not contribute to hatred.. Please understand what I have said in this emai,l because if action is not taken to rectify this situation we will hold peaceful protests, flood you with emails and boycott your News Papers.

P.S I am a BORN AND RAISED CANADIAN and DAMN PROUD.

PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS ASAP!!! I BELIEVE THE EMAIL IS sanderson@thecitizen.canwest.com

What has Khalistan got to do with anything here?

Do you think people responded negatively to the kirpan in the newspapers and made blatantly racist remarks because they figured, "these guys want Khalistan"?

It is our right to talk about Sikh liberation and Khalsa Raj. The Jews can be anywhere in the world and still have strong links with Israel. Why is that not a problem but the Sikh demand for Khalsa Raj an exception?

Sikhs are a people without a home. We can get kicked around and have our rights tramppled but there's not a thing we can do about it. Khalsa Raj is a dream that has survived over the generations of a place where we can live freely and practice the teachings of our Gurus without any interference.

Khalistan is no concern of the Canadians. Giving up this dream is to accept a fate as slaves and I for one am never going to be willing to accept that.

i don't agree with playing the HOMELESS card...

i mean..i'm a canadian...i was born here...raised here..i contribut to canadian societ just as much if not more than others...this is my HOME...

sure..there may be some inequalities and unfairness...but that is something we have to FIGHT...noone will kick us out...for fighting...

the ONLY problem i see right now that could get in our way of getting our rights is if MODERATE SIKHS...the sikhs who don't follow rehit...but love commenting on those that do...if they start opening up their mouths to the media and saying stuff like...maybe the kirpan isn't needed...or offereing alternatives...that's what will be our biggest obstacle...i feel...what do you guys think?

I agree with jss that solidarity is going to be essential in fighting for our rights. If some of us compromise or others decide that they're going to speak against other Sikhs for being "too extremist" we're in trouble.

We might have differences between each other but we need to put up a common front. The minute we get some "gyani" saying that Sikhs can wear blunt 2" kirpans sewed into a pouch, we're going to have the public saying , "your own priests don't support your views, you guys are just causing problems".

My point about a 'home' is that Sikhs as a collective people have no homeland. We have no voice in the world. I am a Canadian, but I am a Sikh first. I dream of a place where my identity and my nationality are not two separate things.