Sikhs And Gaatraa

Balbir Singh

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it is interesting that everything seems to be in fives. I don't mind, because personally it's my favourite number.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for it though? Perhaps on another thread....

Ishna.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Gurdev offered Kakaars. Sikhs accepted those as Gurmat.

I am not sure if Gurdev gave Sikhs also Gaatraa.

Is Gaatraa the smart invention of human mind but Manmat?

Perhaps the new generation of Brahmins unconsciously started wearing Gaatraa, made of thread, as Janayu.

Balbir Singh

i'm not sure if wearing the gatra was/is mandatory..i wear the gatra because it is a conenient way of keeping the kirpan on your body at all times...it's a very practical thing.

my sister wears her kirpan differently than me..because for some reason the gatra always slides off her shoulder so she just ties the gatra with kirpan in it around her waist and that seems to work for her.

i also konw of some singhs who's kirpan sheaths are disigned to buckle on to their belts...so they wear them like that on their belts...seems to work for them...

Sat Sri Akal:

"Perhaps the new generation of Brahmins unconsciously started wearing Gaatraa, made of thread, as Janayu."

So...Gatraa is a method of keeping the Kirpan. I do not recall the Jeneoo holding up anything on a Hindu, unless you connect it to the Dothi...

Tell me Balbir Sahib, what do you use to keep your Kirpan on your person. You ARE a Sikh of the Guru right (so you say)? You DO follow the Rehat of the Panj Pyare right? I would be most intrigued as to how you maintain the Kirpan Rehat without a Gatra.

why is evrything in 5's?? panj shastar? panj kakkars, panj piareh, panj bani, panj choor, etc...  grin.gif

151568[/snapback]

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

yeah i asked my mom this long time ago but shes like "Nothing."

i think i was like 11 years old then.

because i remember learning about Sikhism and other stuff about Pakistan and Punjab, and a lot of "5"s came up...so i asked my mom.

but no answer...

i wonder grin.gif

peace...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Pray Truth for all and say Satsriakal!

Dear ms514 Ji!

The topic here is Gaatraa not Balbir Singh and his way of living.

It is the bliss to watch God's Will being fulfilled through all.

You wrote "So...Gatraa is a method of keeping the Kirpan. I do not recall the Jeneoo holding up anything on a Hindu, unless you connect it to the Dothi..."

Janayu, dhotee, gaatraa and kachchehraa all are made of thread. Also, those are worn similarly on the body.

Quote "why is evrything in 5's?? panj shastar? panj kakkars, panj piareh, panj bani, panj choor, etc... "

Behind all numbers the Truth is ONE.

Come to know ONE and you have it.

For example one + one + one + one + one = five

Balbir Singh