Heavens and Hells

Jkaur

all this while ive got this perception that in sikhism heaven and hell is when ur doing sthin bad ur couinted to be in HELL and when ur followin guru's order ur in HEAVEN... is this also counted to be a type of heaven and hell??? :T:

Gur Fateh!

Hell and Heaven, in protestant Christian thinking, is not the hell and Heaven that the Sri Guru speaks of...J Kaur Ji, I personally agree with your understanding.

Sardar MKhalsa Sahib mentioned many interesting versions of this and I'll like to expand on his statement with 2 things...the descriptions he gives of the Islamic experience is probably not too different to the visions that Guru Ji describes in the 'Sodar'...

...Gavan tudh no Mohinia Munn Mohan...et al (Sodar Raag Asa M1, Sri Guru Granth Sahib)

which incidently also appear to be quite similar to the descriptions of the Mahayana Buddhist concepts of 'Sukhavati'...the region of pure forms...however there is plenty of references elsewhere within the Sri Guru, indicating that this is not the final resting place and not to get distracted here...

...these are not however all related to the 5 Khands...which are realms of Spiritual practice and progression...Gur

u Gobind Singh frequently makes mention of the 14 worlds (Lok CHaude ke bikhe jag jaap hi ke jaap... -Rual Chand, Jaap Sahib) which can simplistically be thought of as seven skies or worlds up in the sky and similarly seven netherworlds or worlds underneath the earth surface, which I believe Muslims also believe in (seven 'Tabaq' or worlds in the sky and seven hells down under)...

...or more explicitly, as per Mahayana thought...the triple world such that:

1) kama dhatu (Desire): From 6 states of hell upto and including the six states of heavenly desires of the gods

2) rupa dhatu (Form): celestial existance superior to those in (1)

3) arupa dhatu(Formlessness)

Forgive any errors in the foregoing...

-I remain the Charandhoor of the Sadh Sangat-

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup there sure is heaven and hell.. there are tons of gurbani tuks which prove that.

rMgu n lgI pwrbRhm qw srpr nrky jwie ]5]

ra(n)g n lagee paarabreham thaa sarapar narakae jaae ||5||

Even so, if they have not embraced love for the Supreme Lord God, then they shall surely go to hell. ||5||

nrku surgu duie BuMcnw hoie bhuir bhuir Avqwr ]2]

narak surag dhue bhu(n)chanaa bahur bahur avathaar ||2||

You are subject to both heaven and hell, and you are reincarnated over and over again. ||2||

guir pUrY aupdyisAw nrku nwih swDsMig ]1]

gur poorai oupadhaesiaa narak naahi saadhhasa(n)g ||1||

receives the Teachings from the Perfect Guru; he joins the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, and does not fall into hell. ||1||

nrk surg rhq Aauqwrw ]

narak surag rehath aouthaaraa ||

They are exempt from incarnation into heaven or hell.

keI koit nrk surg invwsI ]

kee kott narak surag nivaasee ||

Many millions dwell in heaven and hell.

koaU nrk koaU surg bMCwvq ]

kooo narak kooo surag ba(n)shhaavath ||

Some have gone to hell, and some yearn for paradise.

What I understand from gurbani and gusikhs I have talked to is that According to sikhi we believe in 3 things

1. Sachkhand (God Lives there and you don't have to recarnate once you are there)

2.Heaven(you earn ur time in paradise according to ur good deeds)

3.Hell(you are punished according to your wrong deeds)

The first one is for the gurmukhs who live their life walking on the sikhi path and devote their lives to waheguroo.

Second and third is basically for people who are not lucky enough to live their lives as gursikhs. People who go thru recarnation. Heaven and hell for those people.

The AIM of A SIKH!!Do Naam Simran and >>>>> GET TO SACHKHAND!!!!!!!! ( just my thinking)

nwnk nwim ibswirAY nrk surg Avqwr ]9]

naanak naam bisaariai narak surag avathaar ||9||

O Nanak, forgetting the Naam, he is reincarnated into heaven and hell. ||9||[/i]

Guest balwinderkaur

aww comeon veerjees and bhainjees///dont be so pessimistic...lets juz work our way and try our best to get a ticket to sachkhand.......alt. i daresay hell is the first place the jammdoots will put my soul into. :):(

Guest balwinderkaur
urnot alone vicky.. this moorakh is also goin to hell

hehehheeh okay then we'll all meet each other in hell and greet each other with this : Yo mate howz the torture going??? :) (if our souls have the strength to greet after being punished in a MAX way) :@:(:@:(:D ;)

Whatever it is, lets not be pessimistic. :( Now we know that hell,heaven and sachkhand do exist, lets sign a contract with ourselves that we will do our utmost to get into sachkhand. Letz make it our ambition.....thatz what we were sent to Earth for...so our aatmaas could one day merge into the param-aatma i.e. VAAHEGUROO. :@

Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji says in Japji Sahib, "Sach Khand Vasey Nirankar". So Sachkhand should be our optimal destination, but for some reasons, I don't know why I don't want to merge with God. I don't know I have this feeling, that everything will be lost if I merge with God, just like a drop loses it identity and separateness when it merges in ocean, i will be destroyed. There there won't be me anymore. God will be me and I will be God, no difference, but there is one thing that I don't understand and that is, i have this feeling, that if i merge with God, i won't know who i was and who i am now, it willl all be mixed up. For some reasons, I don't have desire to merge with God. I know this is a not a good feeling for a Sikh to have, but I have it. I don't know why. Can someone here explain merging with God and whole Naam Simran concept. It is soooo confusing and unhappy for me.

Thanks,

Jaswant Singh

Virji, this world that you and I are livin in is just an illusion... this is a place where we are given a chance so that we can do as much of bhagti and sewa so that we can obtain mukti,,, would you want to keep coming back to this cruel world? I dont knwo about you virji, but i wont want too...