What Is The Best Gel For The Beard

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i been using Fixo but in its mildest form, mix water and fixo to make it less stronger and then i use that. But on teh side i try out different hair gells. while most of them are pretty disappointing i came across one yesterday which seems to be the best out of them all, much easier to use and not sticky etc like fixo.

Its called

VO5

Extreme Style

Creative Glue

Concrete Hold

Took me 5 minutes to tie my darhi compared to the usual 10 ish blush.gif

Also, I would like to add that smart, unneccessary comments do not help this guy that is asking for help with his dhari. THis forum's purpose to support Sikh youth.  I was under pressure from within my own family to simply trim my beard and in looking for support about a year and a half ago i posed this same question on these boards. I was also given the same useless commentary. When I read the responses I was greatly dissapointed because what I felt was that I now had to choose between a completely free-flowing beard or a cut beard. THis is an extremely difficult position to be in in a society which places high priority on a well-groomed look and if it wasn't for an understanding family friend who showed me a way to respect my dhari but still display a groomed and composed look i'm not sure if i would be able to stand up to the pressure from society and the pressure from within my very own family. Maybe many of you come from very strongly supportive Sikh families, but you must understand that not all of us do.

P.S. Perhaps many of you would like to jump to the conclusion that my Sikhi faith is very weak, but if it was i would have cut my hair a LONG time ago.  THis board is supposed to PROMOTE sikhi and SUPPORT the youth through each difficult step of their development; NOT to chase them away towards making decision much "worse" than gelling the dhari.  . I am thankful to God that i still have kept my Sikhi saroop through my difficult times and I give no thanks to these forums.

158976[/snapback]

you are right bruv the kind of youth you talk about ............that was me, it was hard, but i realised that if you want to follow sikhi then you need to have the faith and corage in the Guru to be able to break through, nothing else worked for me, i did everything for the family, friends, society tried to meet their demands of waiting a lil longer, triming, shapeing, styling doing this doing that............but i thought to myself if i want to be a sikh then be a real sikh, follow the rehit and not be ashamed of the gurus roop, the free flowing beard is beautiful.................... i remember standing out from the crowd for the first time in my life, i was in chardi kala from that day

the advice you give will make ppl think its okay to do this , i am glad i did not have your advice when i came on this forum..............this is a sikhi forum we will tell you how it is , the truth , if we said, 'yea, yea thats fine' then we can't teach the youth the right way. I think its important we know right from rong................ i dont think any harm is intended everyone has their own veiw, i respect urs

bhul chuk di kima

Also, I would like to add that smart, unneccessary comments do not help this guy that is asking for help with his dhari. THis forum's purpose to support Sikh youth.  I was under pressure from within my own family to simply trim my beard and in looking for support about a year and a half ago i posed this same question on these boards. I was also given the same useless commentary. When I read the responses I was greatly dissapointed because what I felt was that I now had to choose between a completely free-flowing beard or a cut beard. THis is an extremely difficult position to be in in a society which places high priority on a well-groomed look and if it wasn't for an understanding family friend who showed me a way to respect my dhari but still display a groomed and composed look i'm not sure if i would be able to stand up to the pressure from society and the pressure from within my very own family. Maybe many of you come from very strongly supportive Sikh families, but you must understand that not all of us do.

P.S. Perhaps many of you would like to jump to the conclusion that my Sikhi faith is very weak, but if it was i would have cut my hair a LONG time ago.  THis board is supposed to PROMOTE sikhi and SUPPORT the youth through each difficult step of their development; NOT to chase them away towards making decision much "worse" than gelling the dhari.  . I am thankful to God that i still have kept my Sikhi saroop through my difficult times and I give no thanks to these forums.

158976[/snapback]

you are right bruv the kind of youth you talk about ............that was me, it was hard, but i realised that if you want to follow sikhi then you need to have the faith and corage in the Guru to be able to break through, nothing else worked for me, i did everything for the family, friends, society tried to meet their demands of waiting a lil longer, triming, shapeing, styling doing this doing that............but i thought to myself if i want to be a sikh then be a real sikh, follow the rehit and not be ashamed of the gurus roop, the free flowing beard is beautiful.................... i remember standing out from the crowd for the first time in my life, i was in chardi kala from that day

the advice you give will make ppl think its okay to do this , i am glad i did not have your advice when i came on this forum..............this is a sikhi forum we will tell you how it is , the truth , if we said, 'yea, yea thats fine' then we can't teach the youth the right way. I think its important we know right from rong................ i dont think any harm is intended everyone has their own veiw, i respect urs

bhul chuk di kima

159154[/snapback]

I respect your opinion as well. However, I am never ashamed to wear my dhari free flowing. And being a sikh male, i have been standing out since day one ( i love it). Yet, I am still looking in the Guru Granth Sahib for the complete rejection of gelling one's beard. Obviously, the hair is supposed to be respected, however i just can't believe that one would think gelling ur dhari is disrespectful. I proudly wear my dhari untied in front of my friends, classmates and complete strangers. But in many instances i simply like to go for the more "groomed" look (tho i know we all disagree on the definition of "groomed"). The advice I give will make people think its okay to do this!??!?!? IT IS OK. If you can show me any scriptures stating this is wrong, i would definitely reconsider my stance.

Most of all though, I would like to clarify that gelling your beard is NOT a sign of weakness of faith. Scissors are much easier to handle then all these gels. Some people prefer their dhari's more under control and, with all due respect, whether a man gels his beard is nobody else's business.