Different Expressions

Bundha

I was wondering if you have come across words in Punjabi that you use that others never use or others use that you have never heard off.

When I was a laddi my mum used to put some sabzi on a roti and roll the roti up into a long roll, we used to call this a ‘kugoo’.

We used to call guests – paraunay but I have heard others call them magaynee (African in origin I think)

We used to call onions – gunday but I have heard others call the piazz (used in Indian restaurants)

We used to call the sly (steel rod) that you use to tidy your hair into your pag – Khalsa Meter.

We used to call tinday – false aloo, because they looked like aloo in the sabzi but when you bit into them they were something else.

We used to call karalay – rats.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a laddi my mum used to put some sabzi on a roti and roll the roti up into a long roll, we used to call this a ‘kugoo’.

We call them 'punee'

We used to call guests – paraunay but I have heard others call them magaynee (African in origin I think)

We call them 'paraunay' too...

We used to call the sly (steel rod) that you use to tidy your hair into your pag – Khalsa Meter.

:lol:

I have a relative who calls Rajaai (Duvet) Jaraai.

The term Piazz is mainly used by Pakistanis - Does anyone else not like Maki di Roti? (that yellow one) It's revolting. But man do i love da saag

*Rubs tum tum*

Isn't onion meant to be GAThAA?

Someone told me that Ganda Singh was the nickname given to an onion or food provisions when the Singhs were hiding in the jungle. As there were so many spies they would use codes words to confuse the enemies. When a Singh was meant to come they would say such and such Singh are coming down along with Ganda Singh. Singhs would understand that this meant food would be brought down. The Dushts would think that some hardcore Singh called Ganda Singh would also be coming down!

Not sure if this is true or not, thought I'd share it with you