Importance Of Raag

without_a_name

once naradmunni went to the nagri of raags .... what they saw was some raags got there legs broken some got broken arms .... they asked how this happened .... they said most of raagis of kalyugh have no knowledge of raags ....

when ever they wish they started calling us and we need to be there .... they dont know right time ....

then naradmuni ji told all raags that on maatlok shri guru arjun sahib ji is compiling adi guru granth sahib only they can help u ....

then all the raags with there family .... and thats why raags are very impotant in guru banni ....

i dont have any knowledge of raags nor i understand them .... raags always make me sleep its true .... and if there is kirten darbar and on other side dhadi darbar .... i will always go to dhadi darbar ..... yoooh

when we say rag assa in rehras .... it tells when kirten of this banni is done it should be in assa rag ....

i cant understand how can u speak or do jaap of banni in rag ..... u cannot speak raags u can only sing them .....

like when we start rehras ....

HAR JUGH JUGH BHAGAT UPEYA ..... we read it normal .... but when rehras is done in gurudwara its sung ....

now take guru gobind singh ji s banni ... its in shands .... chachri shand bhunjag preyat shand .... we can speak in shands .... we can read banni in shands as well as sing it .....

say bhunjag preyat .... it come in jaap sahib s banni .... bhejung preyat shand means it should be read as a snake is moving up down up down up down .... how many of us read it that way ?????

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets not finger point, why blame 'akj' , the sikh community as a whole misses raag out, there are many sikhs who sing in raag, its not just one section ............. theres no need to argue over it , no good will come of it and the result? ...........still no ones singing in raag, why dont the people who are so touched by the subject go and learn kirtan in raag and inspire us........................

"Its a facet in Indian classical Music that ragas have certain time that they should be played.

But in Sikhi terms, because you're dealing with spirituality, you cant limit emotion to timing.

I ask you this: Do you have a certain time of the day when youre sad? A certain time when youre happy?

No. Because what you feel cannot be tied down to a certain hour."

Tanu kaur....oh right...i see guruji must have got it wrong then(!). He should have left the raags out(!).

Essentially, you are asking guruji the question- "I ask you this: Do you have a certain time of the day when youre

Pa ji, I don't know what gave you the idea that i think raags have no importance, but I assure you, that's not the case. Guru Sahibs never put a time for anything in Guru Granth Sahib was all I was saying. Raags, however, do play an important part in understanding the emotional state of the gurus at the time the Bani was written, and also a better means to understand the message of the particular shabad.

I myself only learn kirtan in the raags prescribed in Guru Granth Sahib. What I was saying was, if you read it again, that raags don't have an extreme, as the poster before me was saying.

The more we turn our back on the musical structure of Guru Granth Sahib, the more we lose our heritage.

For example, in Asa Ki //, it says to sing it under "tunde asraj ki dhuni"...does anyone even know how to sing to the tune of tunde asraj anymore?

If you want to Westernize your kirtan, that's perfectly fine. If you want to let go of the instruments given to you by the Gurus and instead use those given to you by next level Germans, that's perfectly fine. If you want to disregard completely the Hukam of Guru Sahib written at the top of every shabad and instead do what you want to do, that's all well and good.

But when you look back tomorrow and wonder where Guru's tradition went, don't try to blame the RSS or SGPC or anyone else. You'll only have yourself to blame, because it's up to you to carry on the legacy of Maharaj.

The more we turn our back on the musical structure of Guru Granth Sahib, the more we lose our heritage.

For example, in Asa Ki //, it says to sing it under "tunde asraj ki dhuni"...does anyone even know how to sing to the tune of tunde asraj anymore?

If you want to Westernize your kirtan, that's perfectly fine. If you want to let go of the instruments given to you by the Gurus and instead use those given to you by next level Germans, that's perfectly fine. If you want to disregard completely the Hukam of Guru Sahib written at the top of every shabad and instead do what you want to do, that's all well and good.

But when you look back tomorrow and wonder where Guru's tradition went, don't try to blame the RSS or SGPC or anyone else. You'll only have yourself to blame, because it's up to you to carry on the legacy of Maharaj.

:TH: d_oh.gif smacked it

I think it doesnt matter if you sing the hymns in raag or not, however it does matter if you sing the hymns from your heart for the "love" of Guru, as long as you keep Satguru in mind postively, he would be pleased that your singing his praises.

that is tru!! but sometimes singing the shabads in the raags given can make it "come from your heart"!! like raag basant......i have a wikid shabad done by Bhai Gurdial Singh Ji Rasia (and sons):

man kehaa bisaariou raam naam ||

O my mind, how can you forget the Lord's Name?

which is sang in raag basant!! but it would not sound the same if it was sung in like raag chander kauns!! u see what im trying to say!!

bhul chuk maaf

I think it doesnt matter if you sing the hymns in raag or not, however it does matter if you sing the hymns from your heart for the "love" of Guru, as long as you keep Satguru in mind postively, he would be pleased that your singing his praises.

that is tru!! but sometimes singing the shabads in the raags given can make it "come from your heart"!! like raag basant......i have a wikid shabad done by Bhai Gurdial Singh Ji Rasia (and sons):

man kehaa bisaariou raam naam ||

O my mind, how can you forget the Lord's Name?

which is sang in raag basant!! but it would not sound the same if it was sung in like raag chander kauns!! u see what im trying to say!!

bhul chuk maaf

I know what your saying, however I have heard many people say" BOHATH ANANDH AYAH" and I say what do you mean and they say "oh the way he was singing and the tabla!"

I say "ok", the gurbani he was singing was so lovely that it meant something to me and I learnt something from it, and then they look at you strangely!

Moral of the story, do we listen to kirtan because it sounds nice, or do we listen to Kirtan because the Gurbani is so sweet!