V

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with mr.singh....

we should look at the root cause, not just the outside,,,

sure the kids in india are gettin away from sikhi, so its easy to blame them, but we should look at why they are gettin away from sikhi...

i beleive its becuz of a lack of role models such as their parents ... and a lack of guidance...

sikh history is full of role models like all the brave shaheeds,,, but im talkin about like role models who the kids can see everyday, how can u expect a child to become a tru gursikh when all the elders areound them trim their beards, or have a peg each nite...

i believe our parents generaation is the WEAKEST link.... wat i mean is they have gotten away from sikhi the most,, a lot of families got split up back than, and overseas, they tried to assimilate into their new homes, and the people left back in india saw their relatives over seas and there goals became to EMULATE and try to be like them....

in this whole process SIKHI was lost upon them..

so wat are these people suppose to teach their children???

somewhere along the way for a lot of families sikhi got lost between generations and a transfer of knowledge about sikhi to the new generations in families didnt take place

i agree its also the fault of parents, while Mr §ingh says its all the fault of the parents.

i think western culture has a big thing to do with it.

the religous adults try teaching they're children, but they can only do so much, when a childs friends are not religous and all the things he or she likes are suppose to be avoided. on sundays at our local gurdwara, there ae only a few sikhs in they're teens.

i don't know as many religous kids as you maybe do, but here are some i know.

-the president of our gurdwara, is not much of a polition, he's a very religous man. his boy has lots of knowledge about sikh and had a turban until grade 9, then he felt the pressure, and cut his hair, started going out, starting drinking and doing drugs.

-there is this girl, her father is one of the main members at nanaksar, in india. she has tons of knowledge about sikhi, more then most of the people on this forum. but when she came here, she started watching hindi movies, listening to bhangra, and other things i would rather not mention.

-theres thing one guy from india, he took amrit in his early teens. but when he came here, within a year he started eating meat and drinking. his older brother did the same. and now he's planing to cut his hair.

- theres this one guy, his dad takes him to the gurdwara, every sunday. this guy is very knowledgable. but since he came to high school, he has had sex a few times already and now drinks like crazy.

-there are a few more people i know that have lots of knowledge, but have cut they're hair during or after high school and now drink.

so, these are the sikhs i know personally that have been taught ab

out sikhi by they're parents.

and consider this, there are about 10 000 sikh adults with turbans here, and about 100 teens. i think more then a hundred sikhs have been taught about sikhi (in calgary). and the sikh population here is about 70 000.

Gill

Compared to Canada the situation in the UK is much better. There are lots more youth who have kept their hair in recent years and have gone on to take Amrit. I know of at least 15-20 people who have kept their hair in the last 6-7 years. This is due to a number of factors-;

1. Sikhi camps, there are at least 10 Sikhi boarding camps held in the UK each. There are many more weekend or daytime camps held in Gurdwaras. Many Kesdhari Sikh youth take their monay friends to the camp and many of these monay then keep their hair due to the Gurmat influence they felt at these camps.

2. Visits of Babas to the UK. Although this is a contentious issue but there is no disputing that Babas like Baba Maan Singh Pihowawale and others have brought many monay back into Sikhi.

3. Attacks on Sikhi by other religions, mainly Muslims. When Sikhs who do not have a grounding in their religion get approached by Muslims mainly attempting to place doubt into them about Sikhi, these youth will use the internet and other resources to research their religion.

4. Youth helping youth. Many Gurdwaras are forunate enough to have youth volunteers who conduct Sikhi workshops where youngsters can find out about their religion.

5. Many Gurdwaras now also have Simran early in the morning which many people attend and which reinforces their faith within the Sangat.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Guest SikhForLife

Gill everytime u blame western culture.. .. tell me which place does not have influence of western culture!!!.. dont blame something that cant be fixed.. blame the parents! thats all

Sant baba attar singh was staring at the sun when it was about to set. One of the singhs came up to him and ask baba ji what ru looking at they said " The sun of sikhi is gonna set in punjab but rise in the west. So he said that sikhi is slowly going away in Punjab but slowly coming in to western countries. The panths relies in our hands ppl.

Yeah agree.. But then on other hand why live in west hana.. I mean why we are living in these western world.. just say like calagary tongue.gif .. For those who think western ppls/society is the problem, then why not move to eastern world ?? Simple as that !

its not about the location, western culture is hurting punjab too. i was born here, so thats why i remain.

its more about weather the culture influences you