Sitting next to a meat eater?

Pheena

On the meat issue I really couldnt care less what rehatnamas say.

Guru sahib has given me the answer already.

Maas Muchee Dae Nerae Nehi Avanaa

Hukamanama Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Jee

And this isnt only on one hukamnama, no siree. Guru Sahib appended this to his signature on EVERY SINGLE HUKAMNAMA HE WROTE!!!!!!!!!

HE SAID IT, I FOLLOW IT, END OF STORY.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of my friends.. eat meat and do not follow sikhi deeply (besides going to gurdwara etc..) but that doesn't mean i can't hang/stay with them.. It doesn't effect me in anyway, as long as my soul doesn't see any problem with that.. then i guess i will stick with them. tongue.gif

i respect your reply khalsa veer. I guess I am just such a manmukh that i cannot give up eating meat. I guess when one just reaches that level of devotion the answers just come to you. Sikhi is so beautiful, I cannot argue with you guys who have taken amrit and are part of the khalsa panth, i am a mere bystander struggling with my inner desires and manmat. Meat or no meat we can all agree that Waaheguru is so loving and our Sikhi is so precious. I am glad you did not get in a heated debate with me over this as some of our fellow sikhs start attacking each other, I pray to waaheguru that the whole panth lives with such love for eternity. ^_^

(Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1289-1290):

mehlaa 1.

First Mehl:

maas maas kar moorakh jhagrhay gi-aan Dhi-aan nahee jaanai.

The fools argue about flesh and meat, but they know nothing about meditation and spiritual wisdom.

ka-un maas ka-un saag kahaavai kis meh paap samaanay.

What is called meat, and what is called green vegetables? What leads to sin?

gaiNdaa maar hom jag kee-ay dayviti-aa kee baanay.

It was the habit of the gods to kill the rhinoceros, and make a feast of the burnt offering.

maas chhod bais nak pakrheh raatee maanas khaanay.

Those who renounce meat, and hold their noses when sitting near it, devour men at night.

farh kar lokaaN no dikhlaavahi gi-aan Dhi-aan nahee soojhai.

They practice hypocrisy, and make a show before other people, but they do not understand anything about meditation or spiritual wisdom.

naanak anDhay si-o ki-aa kahee-ai kahai na kahi-aa boojhai.

O Nanak, what can be said to the blind people? They cannot answer, or even understand what is said.

anDhaa so-ay je anDh kamaavai tis ridai se lochan naahee.

They alone are blind, who act blindly. They have no eyes in their hearts.

maat pitaa kee rakat nipannay machhee maas na khaaNhee.

They are produced from the blood of their mothers and fathers, but they do not eat fish or meat.

istaree purkhai jaaN nis maylaa othai manDh kamaahee.

But when men and women meet in the night, they come together in the flesh.

maasahu nimmay maasahu jammay ham maasai kay bhaaNday.

In the flesh we are conceived, and in the flesh we a

re born; we are vessels of flesh.

gi-aan Dhi-aan kachh soojhai naahee chatur kahaavai paaNday.

You know nothing of spiritual wisdom and meditation, even though you call yourself clever, O religious scholar.

baahar kaa maas mandaa su-aamee ghar kaa maas changayraa.

O master, you believe that flesh on the outside is bad, but the flesh of those in your own home is good.

jee-a jant sabh maasahu ho-ay jee-ay la-i-aa vaasayraa.

All beings and creatures are flesh; the soul has taken up its home in the flesh.

abhakh bhakheh bhakh taj chhodeh anDh guroo jin kayraa.

They eat the uneatable; they reject and abandon what they could eat. They have a teacher who is blind.

maasahu nimmay maasahu jammay ham maasai kay bhaaNday.

In the flesh we are conceived, and in the flesh we are born; we are vessels of flesh.

gi-aan Dhi-aan kachh soojhai naahee chatur kahaavai paaNday.

You know nothing of spiritual wisdom and meditation, even though you call yourself clever, O religious scholar.

maas puraanee maas kaytaabeeN chahu jug maas kamaanaa.

Meat is allowed in the Puraanas, meat is allowed in the Bible and the Koran. Throughout the four ages, meat has been used.

jaj kaaj vee-aahi suhaavai othai maas samaanaa.

It is featured in sacred feasts and marriage festivities; meat is used in them.

istaree purakh nipjahi maasahu paatisaah sultaanaaN.

Women, men, kings and emperors originate from meat.

jay o-ay diseh narak jaaNday taaN unH kaa daan na lainaa.

If you see them going to hell, then do not accept charitable gifts from them.

dayNdaa narak surag laiday daykhhu ayhu Dhinyaanaa.

The giver goes to hell, while the receiver goes to heaven - look at this injustice.

aap na boojhai lok bujhaa-ay paaNday kharaa si-aanaa.

You do not understand your own self, but you preach to other people. O Pandit, you are very wise indeed.

paaNday too jaanai hee naahee kithhu maas upannaa.

O Pandit, you do not know where meat originated.

to-i-ahu ann kamaad kapaahaaN to-i-ahu taribhavan gannaa.

Corn, sugar cane and cotton are produced from water. The three worlds came from water.

to-aa aakhai ha-o baho biDh hachhaa toai bahut bikaaraa.

Water says, "I am good in many ways." But water takes many forms.

aytay ras chhod hovai sani-aasee naanak kahai vichaaraa. ||2||

Forsaking these delicacies, one becomes a true Sannyaasee, a detached hermit. Nanak reflects and speaks. ||2||

my dad eats meat and drinks, my brother eats meat, they bring it into the house but it doesnt bother me, i aint drinking sharab myself nor am i eatin meat, although i have nothing against eatin meat i dont eat it as a personal choice because i gave it up near 9 yrs ago and going back to eat it would just be for the taste of it, im happy with daal sabzi B)

the main thing is concentrate on yourself, if someone else does things which you disaproove of then distance yourself from them if it makes you more confortable, if you can stand it then dont worry, guru ji met loads of bad people in their time, they didnt turn up their nose and carry on because they thought it would affect their spirituality, instead they helped them onto the right path to give up sins ^_^

mkhalsa i do agree with you, i dont understand why everyone conveniently ignores that hukamnama........how do people reconciliate this, that guru hargobind has clearly said dont touch meat or fish........i mean....its possible to interprit gurbani ur own way, or say this and that is not a real historical source....but how do u argue with the gurus word.....straight and simple?

brahmgyanis, who have had realisation of the TRUE single meaning of every line of gurbani have interprited this line "only fools argue over" etc in the same way - gurbachan singh bhindranwale, bhai randhir singh, whoever - once u r enlightened the true meaning, not interpritation according to ones mann, open up to you, and they have realised that this shabad does not condone meat but condemns hypocracy of jains etc.

I noticed that some of us who are born into full practicing sikhi family are the one who says "NO this is wrong and this is what you are supposed to do", so they don't have any idea nor they have first hand experience of having a company of ppls who eat meat/drink .. saying that one can't keep a company with the ppls who eat meant/drinks is really very very far beyond right wing conservative..

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Pyare jio, the shabad mentioned by veer J singh should be considered with the sakhee that goes with it explaining the context of that shabad. The shabad by no means advocates meat, and I would ask J singh to post the sakhee aswell when he quotes the shabad. We should not base our rehat on literal translations of shabads in english.

Pyare jio, in response to the original question about sitting with meat eaters. We need to understand this in its context. Also remember Sikhi is about your jeevan, and that is what the rehat protects. When I started University, I had just taken Amrit. As per condition of the Panj Pyare, I everyday attended Amrit vela with a enlightened Gursikh. Guru Maharaj showers so many blessings. Starting a new university, you know no-one and no-one knows you. Everyone tries to assimulate. I just left it to Guru Jis bhana.

I would sit in my free time just doing abyass. But I found so many people became friendly with me. I never said anything about rehat to anyone. You should just worry about your abyass, and let it work its magic. I found it creates an environment around you. Whenever youth were with me, they knew I only really talked about seva or spirituality, and occasionally football. Automatically they never talked about girls, meat, drugs, etc. If these subjects came up, especially girls, I would usually drift away. After time, the realised I did not like that, and when I came these subjects would stop, and sikhi subjects would start. One day I came and sat down at a table with some friends. Another lad I know happened to be eating a burger. When I sat down, he panicked and

threw it out the window next us. Everyone laughed. I asked why he did that, he replied he felt guilty eating in front of me. Something really dawned on me then.

You see I never preached sikhi to any of them, only those who came to the sikhi events. All I did was try to practice it as much as possible in my own jeevan. I concentrated on Guru sahib, and Guru sahib created the parchaar and seva, and the environment for me himself. I never had to say anything to anyone, they all just knew, even if they were not punjabi. All my friends were monas, some pakistanis, some white, one chinese, and one hindu. Somehow they just all knew me. We are all close even till today.

Some years later I met many of the punjabi lads, and found to my joy that many had kept their kesh and some had taken Amrit. It is all Guru Maharajs blessings.

The moral is I never worried about these things and just concentrated on abyass and my jeevan. Treat everyone with pyaar, politeness and respect, just how you expect to be treated. Create your own environment, not by preaching or force, or paranioa, but with pyaar and respect. You will be amazed how people come to respect you and your space, and your beliefs and intentions. Guru maharaj himself got that young lad to remove the meat, I leave these things to him. I just need to worry about where my mind is, and how much seva and abyass i have done that day.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!