India

i want to go to India but i dont know if i should i mean is there any point i want to go back to the place where sikhi started but whats the point? i hear stories of sikhs abandoning sikhi and gettinge rid of their kesh not only from head/face now singhs are waxin :wub: but seriously i dont know if people can understand in the UK its understandable to stand out a little BUT to stand out in the place where sikhi started is quite sad in my opinion and weird. If i go there will i get the same looks i do here? what will others sikhs make of a guy who keeps kesh? i mean dont get me wrong i dont give a flick what people have to say BUT BUT BUT what i mean is will i get a good or hostile reception from sikhs in India or are they totally brainwashed by the media over there?

give me a call to .... there are loads of singhs in punjab ... and even mona sikhs here in punjab ( mostly ) apni galti mande ki kess katal karne galat and look kessadhari with much respect then most on that side who can justify their kess katal by pointing finger at ur turban ... in punjab u will get darhi cuts ... outside punjab in north india u will get darrhi pressed sikhs ( delhi kashmir ) and outside north india u will find flowing darhi sikhs ...

I went india recently the onli reason why some people stare is coz they know your from England or you are from somewhere out of India.

My advice is of course you should go, Go see the inspirational and real beautiful places of our Sikh Itihaas. You'll love it.

I don't want to start a meaningless debate on this topic. But it is funny that the topic starter mentions people in punjab being brainwashed by the media, when it seems like a lot of the kids who grow up in the west get brainwashed to think Punjab is some shithole were sikhs think they are hindu's, or they can't walk in public without police harassing them etc.

There are amazing gursikhs in India. From personal experience the jeevan's of real sikhs in india is 10000X more then us in UK/canada/states etc. I found that they were mostly jatha affiliated, (taksal, akj, nihung dals)

For example, I met these little kids who were with singhs of Akhand keertan Jatha, mostly girls, who put me to shame when it came to reading and memorizing bani. They not only did ther nitnem every day at amritvela, but included asa di vaar and bunch of other nitnem bani's all memorized. And then during hte day sukhmani sahib was never missed. I will be lucky to do one sukhmani sahib this week.

So don't always be quick to think others are being brainwashed when you might be a victim yourself. By far India has the most amazing gursikhs, you just need to know were to look.

there are hundreds and hundreds of people taking amrit in india, ask those who are in the panj piyaray.................becos there is a big misconception that sikhi is failing........... after so much that happened............ but i found that you get more respect in india for being keshdhari, and about ppl staring, they do that anyway, and more if they can see you from abroad.

I was a bit wary aswell when i recently went to India.

I went to Uttaranchal and then to Punjab.

I found that the Hindus in Uttaranchal looked at me with more respect and happiness than the Sikhs in Punjab who i had a feeling thought i was backward.