Maharaja Ranjit Singh In The Eyes On Non-sikhs

Bijla Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh

In the eyes of non Sikhs, great input here, don't see it often. I just want to mention Maharaja Ranjit has been quoted on saying about his own eyes " The almighty has given me one eye, perhaps so to look at everyone with one eye ,all equal" He certainly did that, and there is no doubt his vicotories lay due to rehat dahri Khalsa such as Hari Singh Nalwa and he mentioned this countless times.

Final thoughts -- we all are not perfect and can make mistakes no matter how high our Sikh jeevans become because the almighty has uncanny ways to test our faiths and 99.9% of us fail. Maskeen Ji has mentioned many a time out of 1000 Sikhs you could find one sadh. And out of 10000 Sadhs one could find 1 true sant. Not to deviate from this discussion, what's important is how and where do we stand today compared to our previous generations , are we just comfy and lazy and write on forums such as myself or are we contributing to Sikhe in some sort of way in our lives for its progress??

Dear Punjabi Link and dalsingh, I am not stating my opinions or trying to rewrite history. I am simply showing his good side. Every person has good and bad sides. I never stated that he was a good and a spiritual Sikh but he was a human being who knew what morality is. He did not oppress his people or gave out death sentences. Hindus and Muslims alike enjoyed freedom which is not found in today's India. We all know his bad deeds and anti-sikh practices. In my first topic I stated that I will be posting new info I found about him. If you don't like it then don't post under this topic. We are not discussing whether he was a Sikh (he wasn't in my opinion since he did not keep rehat) or not but who he really was as a king and how he managed his kingdom. Once again, all the information is coming from sources as listed. Nothing is made up by me.

Shiva Ji Maratha bribed brahmins to become a king and he oppressed his own people. Look how much he is being praised today just because he was a king. Ranjit Singh was much better person than he was and yet we are keeping insulting him just because he wasn't a Sikh. His contributions are much more than all other kings combined. Why insult him and always focus on his bad side? Why such an intolerance? Don't misinterpret the purpose of this topic. I find it funny that Amritdharis (who are always blamed for intolerance) on this forum are not being intolerant as you two are. Your lack of understanding is not my fault. If you want to post negative stuff on him or argue over him you can start a different topic. Someone asked me for the info so I am posting it here. Take it, learn it or reject

it. Your choice.

If people don't like it I won't post anymore. It doesn't hurt me in any way.

Sat Shree Akal Bandhu ...

I am Maratha from Maharashtra....Bandhu i have deep respect for sikhism as equate it with humanism.

We have deep respect for those punjabi sikhs(earlier whole ancestors were HINDUS) who had sacrified their lives for whole Nation(not Just PUNJAB)......

U have very wrong information about the Shivaji Maharaj...U said that he bribed brahmins for corronations and he oppressed his own people..this indicates ur less knowledge about Shivaji Maharaj...

He was king of people....Just bcoz of him we are Hindus...

And remember just bocz of we Marathas PUNJAB was made free from 800yrs of Muslim dominations

Dear Punjabi Link and dalsingh, I am not stating my opinions or trying to rewrite history. I am simply showing his good side. Every person has good and bad sides. I never stated that he was a good and a spiritual Sikh but he was a human being who knew what morality is. He did not oppress his people or gave out death sentences. Hindus and Muslims alike enjoyed freedom which is not found in today's India. We all know his bad deeds and anti-sikh practices. In my first topic I stated that I will be posting new info I found about him. If you don't like it then don't post under this topic. We are not discussing whether he was a Sikh (he wasn't in my opinion since he did not keep rehat) or not but who he really was as a king and how he managed his kingdom. Once again, all the information is coming from sources as listed. Nothing is made up by me.

Shiva Ji Maratha bribed brahmins to become a king and he oppressed his own people. Look how much he is being praised today just because he was a king. Ranjit Singh was much better person than he was and yet we are keeping insulting him just because he wasn't a Sikh. His contributions are much more than all other kings combined. Why insult him and always focus on his bad side? Why such an intolerance? Don't misinterpret the purpose of this topic. I find it funny that Amritdharis (who are always blamed for intolerance) on this forum are not being intolerant as you two are. Your lack of understanding is not my fault. If you want to post negative stuff on him or argue over him you can start a different topic. Someone asked me for the info so I am posting it here. Take it, learn it or reject

it. Your choice.

I am Maratha from Maharashtra....Bandhu i have deep respect for sikhism as equate it with humanism.

We have deep respect for those punjabi sikhs(earlier whole ancestors were HINDUS) who had sacrified their lives for whole Nation(not Just PUNJAB)......

U have very wrong information about the Shivaji Maharaj...U said that he bribed brahmins for corronations and he oppressed his own people..this indicates ur less knowledge about Shivaji Maharaj...

And remember just bocz of we Marathas PUNJAB was made free from 800yrs of Muslim dominations

Punjab's freedom was gained by Punjabis and nonPunjabi converts to Sikhism. Please don't play on the Hindu card, we are Sikhs and that is that. I for one don't consider myself Hindu and seeing as one of my ancestors must have discarded Hinduism at some stage to convert to Sikh, I don't see the relevance of what you are saying. I have respect for Marathas but subtly implying Sikhs are Hindus is wrong. People are free to do what they want but if people in my family worshipped cows and monkeys I would be upset.

Where were the Marathas when the SIkhs were fighting the British? They had long since been conquered. If the whiteman wasn't there Ranjit SIngh's kingdom would have been much larger than it was. So you are lucky. Plus I recall reading about Holkar running for his life to Punjab trying to get away from the British, so he can't have been that tough.

Wel well well

Do you know what you are saying.

Marathas free Punjab. Its hard to digest.

So just for your information.

The Ahmed Shah Abdali defeated marathas in Panipat, its the sikhs who defeated them.

A Maratha leader comes to Ranjit Singh for help, in order to fight English, But Ranjeet Singh treat him well but do not want to fight British so he refused to send his army. If he help marathas the scene in India will be different.

So read some Histroy first.

Maraths liberate Punjab, Some people make me laugh, if i say Sikhs Fight in maharashtra for maratha rule.. Will you be able to digest this non sence.

You will be talking about Timur, But first read history and then come back.

Regards

it. Your choice.

NO IT WAS BECAUSE OF US SIKHS THAT PANJAB WAS FREE.DON'T YOU DARE TRY DISTORT HISTORY,another Hindu trying to distort Sikh history. How do you know that our ancestors were all Hindus,they could have been Muslim,Athiests we don;t know,why are you sooooo keen to point that out??????????????I don't care about your Sabji Maratha ,Ranjeet Singh was a million times better than any other Ruler South Asia or indeed the World has ever had.Did your Sabji Maratha have treaties with Russia,China,& other nations did he have embassies in these States?No I did not think so,Ranjeet Singh did,in the form of Sarkar E Khalsa.The Khalsa freed Panjab,the likes of Banda Singh Bahadur and other great Shaheeds not Sabji Maratha.

How can you have the nerve to state such lies??

To other Sikhs,Ranjeet Singh may not have been a proper pure orthodox Sikh,but how many of us are?We wouldn't even donate our House to the Panth,while Ranjeet Singh dedicated his whole kingdom to Sarkar E Khalsa.The Raaj and Freedom we yearn for today in the form of Khalistan was already there in his time.It was one of the most Socially,Politically and ideologically advanced States in the World,from what I know no one was ever hanged,crime was low,everyone was treated equally,no matter what religion they were.It was a just and fair democratic State.Ranjeet Singh used to go out at night and help people carry goods on his back,such was his moral character on the subject of equality.Certain people like the cunning Hindu dogras

betrayed this vision of equality and took advantage and caused chaous in Panjab after the death of Ranjeet SIngh and ultimately helped to bring the Sikh Raaj to an end,the effects of which we feel today.So even if Ranjeet Singh was not a ideal Sikh,he had the thinking of one externally if not personally,he incorported Sikhi with Raaj,he was a great visionary and ruler

He will always remain a shining symbol of Sikh Sovreignighty and freedom

In 1756, the Marathas under Raghunath Rao defeated the Afghan Ahmed Shah Abdali on his first attempt at conquering India. The Marathas chased the retreating Afghans back to Attock. The Sikhs and Khatris (the dominant groups of Punjab) were co-operative to the Marathas for having successfully removed the Muslims from their land and signed formal treaties of friendship. At the formation of the Dal Khalsa in 1748 at Amritsar, the Punjab was divided into 36 areas and 12 separate Sikh principalities. From this point onwards the beginnings of a Punjabi Sikh Empire emerged.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab_region

Is this true?

In 1756, the Marathas under Raghunath Rao defeated the Afghan Ahmed Shah Abdali on his first attempt at conquering India. The Marathas chased the retreating Afghans back to Attock. The Sikhs and Khatris (the dominant groups of Punjab) were co-operative to the Marathas for having successfully removed the Muslims from their land and signed formal treaties of friendship. At the formation of the Dal Khalsa in 1748 at Amritsar, the Punjab was divided into 36 areas and 12 separate Sikh principalities. From this point onwards the beginnings of a Punjabi Sikh Empire emerged.

Is this true?

Okey this is Impartial view from reading History.

When Abdali first invaded India he crushed the weakened Mughal Administration (Maratha's and Sikhs took out the Empire in thier respective areas) and his sole reason was to sack delhi and loot its treasures (this is where sikhs got involved which led to attack on Harmander Sahib in 1757 by Abdali and so forth) but anyhoo a void was left in Delhi and the expanding Marathan Empire filled it and disposed the puppet left by Abdali, they took Delhi in 1758...sikhs had no problem with this as they were actually dealing with Abdali taking Women and Treasure back to Kabul/Lahore and already invaded Delhi.

So from the years 1747-1759 it was sikhs mainly protecting Punjab and fighting the Afghan invaders.

Now Obviously Abdali hated the fact that Hindus were now ruling a former Muslim City and he wanted money etc...so in January 1761 the Marathan Empire and Abdali commenced a war "Battle of Panipat" the Sikhs were not involved. This was a battle of two Empires and even though Marathan's outnumbered Abdali's Army they were crushed.

The Sikhs and Marathans did have a peace deal, and it is true that the Marathans may have driven back Abdali in short spells BUT they always retreated when Abdali himself came to loot Punjab, they only pushed Abdali back in a sense they claimed Punjab.

I mean the above article claims Marathans took Abdali out in 1756? then how did he manage to attack Amritsar in 1757? rolleyes.gif Martha Empire took control of Punjab in the wake of Afghan withdrawal caused by Sikhs.

Maratha Confederacy collaspased after the Rajputs and and Suraj Mal quit the Alliance and after the Battle of Panipat in 1761 they didnt recover.

Sooo with the Hindu Maratha Empire out the way, Abdali launched an Invasion on Lahore and Amritsar again in 1762 which were now Sikh strong holds....he succeded but Sikhs took control again in 1764. It was essentially Jassa Singh Ahluwalia who freed Punjab and actually caused Heavy defeat to Abdali's forces to the extent he never recovered.

Check Wikipedia for Ahmad Shah Abdali and Maratha Empire. Soz for waffling. I like history :awesome

As for Shivaji who basically got Marathan Empire going; the stories vary but every crediable Historian agree's that the Brahmins for certain did not accept him...some say he payed them to crown him, others say the Brahmin put the tilik on with his big toe...and this was at a push.

Nevertheless for even the crowning to go ahead They had to Fabricate a story that he was Kshatriya Decendent from the line of Ranas of Mewar; wether this is in line with Hindu teachings or not I dont know...but everyone knows that the Brahmins kicked up a fuss...no-one can deny that.

Is this true?

And also Ahmed Shah Actually crossed the Indus River in 1748...with intent to invade and loot; this was the first time he sacked Lahore (1748); so how was 1756 his first attempt at conquering India?

Okey now I know a dimwit wrote that above. jamdoot.gif

P.S sorry admin for ruining thread...maybe a new one can be created? I was once confused by RSS propaganda (and Im not just saying that because they are the ones that promote the view that Maratha's got all of India independance from Mughals and that Sikhs were just by-standers!)