Should Age Gap Count When Your Getting Married?

Guest _Gupt_

Guest ConfusedSingh

So what gap is allowed in sikhi? 1-2 years difference? 4-5? more? Or does it depend on individual preference?

Does it say anywhere in sikhi or in the SGGS about age? The guru's married in thier age right? I had a proposal but i said no becuz the girl was like 5 years older than me. Was i wrong? I don' t think she knew my age.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what gap is allowed in sikhi? 1-2 years difference? 4-5? more? Or does it depend on individual preference?

Does it say anywhere in sikhi or in the SGGS about age? The guru's married in thier age right? I had a proposal but i said no becuz the girl was like 5 years older than me. Was i wrong? I don' t think she knew my age.

Im sure this has been answered before, on a similar topic.

Lol, no it would say anthing about this issue in the guru granth sahib jee. i think its a minor issue, and up 2 the people involved.

generally we say the boy should be 2 or three years older, or at least older than the girl. because boys take a VERY long time to mature. and us girls mature way quicker blush.gif

i dont see a problem in the girl being a bit older than the singh. i would say the girl being 4/5 years older is quite a considerable age gap, but agen its up 2 u. i know of adults wer the bibi is 6years older than her husband, and ther fine.

the main thing wen ur lukin for a partner is the jeevan, and the aim to help each other with sikhi.

age/looks/job, are all minor things.

^I don't know what you mean by 'of course you will take her side', but there was a topic just like this a long time ago and I remember posting a reply that was quite similar. Ideally age shouldn't matter. And for those who place their complete faith in Guru Saheb the material things probably won't matter either. Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji isn't a rule book so we're not going to be told Thou Shalt Marry People only of a Certain Age. GENERALLY boys mature slower than girls, so through tradition/experience from our ancestors girls usually marry someone older than them. Having said that I know a few couples where the girl is older than the guy and they're not doing too bad.