Sikh Culture - Asking Parents For Girl's Hand In Marriage

LifeIsBeautiful

Guest wallace singh
"Ager tum mujhe na milay/mili, to mai saari duniya ko aag laga dunga/dungi"
LOL.gif I hope the person starts with their own house first :)

On a serious note, get some older people involved. They don't have to be like 50 or anything, just someone older and wiser. I don't think its a smart idea if you approach the parents yourself, ESPECIALLY if you are a girl (blame our culture for that)

:nihungsmile:

And you guys think I hang out here because of your age?!

Bwahahahahaha !!!

try bollywood style:

"mein tumse pyaar karta/karti hu aur tumse shaadi karna chahta/chati hu"

Hope this helps...

lol yea right, and then be ready to get shot at by the girls dad.

the best way bro, if you really know for sure, just talk to your parents, and tell them, to talk to the girls parents.

thats the best/safest way to do it.

good luck bro.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

There are two ways that I would think might work: either ask ur parents to ask their parents, or ask your potential partner (assuming they agree with you), to ask their parents on their own behalf. As long as its mutual, that may work out just as well.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

just recently got married and can tell you the inside info (desi angle):

ok, first thing is to get as much info about the girl's family from the girl as possible. this includes things which may sound irrelevant to you, such as, what pind her family belongs to back in Punjab, also where her naanake are(mom's pind), the reason being because according to punjabi customs, people don't marry in their naanke and daadke pinds, all people from those villages are supposed to be regarded as your brothers and sisters.

also, what her parents do, number of siblings, etc etc. also, you may want to know if her family believes in any sant babas or anything, like radha swami etc etc, this can cause issues when the families meet. depending on your family's makeup, you may also want to know if they have links to any poltical parties or punjab police etc etc etc, again these thinsg cause issues for some families.

If you parents are punjabi sikhs, then these thinsg most likely will come up, so its good to have the answers on hand.

after you give all this info, your parents should contact her parents. it is considered better for the guy's family to bring the rishta(proposal) because if the girl's family brings it and your family declines, it kind of looks bad, again, just a desi thing....

the families meet, the decision is usually pretty fast if the families click, and bam, you have a ROKKA, where the girl basically is yours from then on and the family doesn't look for any guys for the girl anymore. sweets are eaten, then the ball gets rolling.

this is the typical punjabi sikh format.

if your a gursikh with no punjabi roots, then ignore everything i just wrote :)

good luck.

peace.