Children

sikh_youth_uk

The Gurdwara institute will always be there, it will work for some and it will not work for others. Some people will see the Gurdwara as the door to the Guru and others will never see that. Some people will do the hoover in the Gurdwara because they see it as their responsiblity and some will never lift a finger because they dont see it as their responsiblity.

The most influential teacher a child has is their parent and certainly in the early day a child will believe everything their parent tells them.

Eventually the individual makes his/her own choice. As someones already mentioned Guru Nanak Dev Ji clearly tells us "Karmi Apo Apni, Ke Narayray Ke Door". Depending on ones actions they will be close to Akal Purakh or they will be far away.

What our responsiblity should be is to become strong role models and provide support for the next generation. Children need to look up to the Sikhi saroop and feel they are part of something big. There should be a sense of self pride seeing a rehatvaan Sikh.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What our responsiblity should be is to become strong role models and provide support for the next generation. Children need to look up to the Sikhi saroop and feel they are part of something big. There should be a sense of self pride seeing a rehatvaan Sikh.

:TH:

A pinch of fear gets results - fact

Perhaps you should write us a textbook. Or maybe even join the Dettol advertising team if you're UK based.

And if you're talking from personal experience, I think with the first two posts in this topic, you proved yourself wrong. Come to think of it, you didn't mention if by results you meant 'good results' or 'bad results'.

Sikh_youth_uk,

When you become a parent yourself, I really think you will then understand whether the canning thing is really that effective.

Cane your child after he's done something wrong and honestly tell me how you feel afterwards! Children will always make mistakes, they have not developed social understanding skills yet. We do not need to beat the religion in to anyone, that's barbaric and there are cultures in the middle east that do this. I'm sure you already know this.

Maybe think about emigrating to the middle east, i think you more suited to that cultural climate than here.

You guys need to look back at Sikh history for your answers:

Guru Ram Das had major issues with his older son when he gave the gurgaddi to Guru Arjan Dev ji over him.

Guru Nanak's own children didn't follow his path.

Guru Har Rai sent his son Ram Rai to the Moguls and he sold out because of fear.

If our own Gurus couldn't guarantee their own children following them, what the hell chance have we?

Personally I believe we should aim at first making them decent human beings and let that lead to amrit. Doing it the other way sometimes has the effect that the original poster mentioned where the children rebel and go completely the wrong way.