IS IT OK?

i think also Khalsa means 'independent, one who has overcome evils, self-dependent, not relying on any other human - only Waheguru, one who does not accept any other authority then the religious - Waheguru (ie. Guru Granth Sahib and Guru Panth Khalsa), who can control kaam, krodh, lobh, moh, hankar,'

Bhai Nandlal jee tells alot about Khalsa in his writings, also i believe the Pure/spiritually clean meanings come from Persian terms, while the 'independent/self-dependent' come from Arabic. i have no source of this, read it online for a year or so ago.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguru jio!

Ok i dont want everyone rushing me or anything with there thoughts against mine but i thought i would put in my little two cents too...

In the gurbani quote:

jaat kaa garab na karee-ahu ko-ee.

barahm binday so baraahman ho-ee. ||1||

No one should be proud of his social class and status.

He alone is a Brahmin, who knows God. ||1||

jaat kaa garab na kar moorakh gavaaraa.

is garab tay chaleh bahut vikaaraa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

Do not be proud of your social class and status, you ignorant fool!

So much sin and corruption comes from this pride. ||1||Pause||

There are soo many sakhis behind this ... pretty sure a lot of my brothers who are better educated than myself would know that the brahmins had a lot of haumai in them... that they are the only supiorer one... only then guru sahib had said dis....

But i think by only having a name ... dont admire urself because ur dis and dat... but just having a name does not mean anythin. Its temporary anyways init ?

All the name means is your identity in this word.... IF u use it to have pride ... then yes its wrong ... if not ... i dont see anythin wrong with it....

And why not have all singh, khalsa, everythin in ur name ... still does not mean anythin ... u can have anythin in your name ... u can call anythin u want to urself... but the truth is within... not without

bhul chuk maph! blush.gif

I also agree with Daasn Daas bro..

Ok, if you think status/caste brings ego in a person, then there are other issues you may want to resolve. Ego is the hardest of the 5 vikaars to control, there are only very rare people in this world who conquer that ego, although they don't fully conquer it, they just rise above it, instead of getting hit by it..

Same here, if you can rise above being proud of your status as a 'Khalsa', then there's no need for you to feel haumai, I can call myself just Daljeet, or just by a nickname doesn't really matter, whatever you get use to stays with you, and you get over it. Its nothing but a name, and when you die, it'll be erased, and won't mean much to many people.

I don't think anyone can really conquer their ego, 100%, because if you beleive you've conquered it, then there it is again..I beleive that you can only rise above ego, not master it..

Bhul chuk maaf!

Guest Akaal108

Here is my opnion:

I think khalsa word is really spirtual. And shouldnt be used until we get to that level where saints do like sant jarnail singh ji was a soorma thats why khalsa he used... He wasnt fear from anyone.

Now sikhs of today are willing to use "Khalsa" name but arent prepared that what khalsa suppose to have which is no fear.

Here is an typical example- I seen enuf sikhs in canada. Have khalsa in their name and they potrayed as to be paaka soorma , all tryin act harder to indian govt but when they arrive in indian airport they cant say anything. Without naam warrior is useless.

If people were khalsa who claim to be by putting khalsa in their names- As guroo maharaj mentions-

"Khalsa mero roop hai khaas.

The Khalsa is my complete image

Khalse maih hau karo nivaas.

I dwell in the khalsa

Khalsa mero mukh hai ang-aa.

Khalsa is my chief organ

Khalse ke hau sadh sadh sang-aa.

I am always with the khalsa

Khalsa mero mitr sakhaa-ee

Khalsa is my closest friend

Khalsa maat pitaa sukhdaa-ee

Khalsa is my mother, father & source of all comforts.

Khalsa meri jaat ar pat.

Khalsa is my caste & creed.

Khalsa sau maa kau utapat.

My creation is through the khalsa

Khalsa mero bhavan bhand-aa-raa.

I dwell in the khalsa who is a storehouse of all my requirements.

Khalse kar mero satk-aa-raa.

I am honoured because of the khalsa.

Khalsa mero pind par-aan.

Khalsa is my body & breath.

Khalsa meri jaan ki jaan.

Khalsa is my life & soul

Khalsa mera satgur poor-aa

Khalsa is my full-fledged Guru.

Khalsa mera sajan soor-aa.

Khalsa is my brave friend.

Khalsa mero budh ar giaan.

Khalsa is my wisdom & knowledge.

Khalse ka hau dhar-au dhiaan.

I always contemplate the khalsa prayerfully

Upmaa khalsae jaath na kahi

Eulogy of the khalsa is beyond me.

Jihv-aa ek paar nah lahi.

I cannot fathom full praise of the khalsa with one tongue.

Ya mai ranch na mithe-aa bhaakh-ee.

I certify that I have not mis-stated anything in the foregoing.

Paarbrahm gur Nanak saak-ee.

God & Guru Nanak are my witnesses to endorse the foregoing truth.

Guru Gobind Singh, Sarb Loh Granth, (MS), 519-526.

Thus every khalsa name holder should have guroo gobind singh ji jot inside because as guroo maharaj mentions "Khalse maih hau karo nivaas. ". Thus = Fearless with Naam Kaamiyie = Vaheguroo daie bhagats ie- sant/mahatama/warrior/bhramgyani.

However, if someone is using khalsa name for inspiration then its a complete different story....as 3ho uses them for inspiration....that is great... :)

Akaaaaaaaaaaal hiii akaaaaaaaaaaal

anand hiiii anand

Gur Fateh!

Caste and Surnames, whilst related are not identical, however Family Lineage and Surnames are closely tied as we find in Guru Gobind Singh's Bani (see Bachitar Natak) and also in the Sarabloh Parkash where the 4 lineages of the Gurus is once again mentioned at length.

"...nao Gobind Singh, Asi Kalaona, Sodhi Rai..."

Use of caste for religious purposes as a discriminating factor is contrary to Gurmat, use of surnames do not necessarily fall into the same bracket.

Finally, the use of "Khalsa" as a surname is somewhat a misnomer, I have seen this occur within 3HO communities and also during the rise of militancy during the dark 1980's in Punjab...whilst another topic, the use of Khalsa as a surname does appear to be closely linked to the modern translation of the word as 'pure'...perhaps explaining its usage in the two examples mentioned...

Gur Fateh!

Niranjana, N30 Singh, Khalsa jee and all others,

don't you think Khalsa is actually meant for the Panth as a whole, rather then individuals? maybe individuals who are adding Khalsa to their name are showing that they are member of the Khalsa Panth. after all it is the Panth that has been given temporal authority alongside Guru Granth Sahib that has spiritual authority/guidence.

and N30 bhaji, i really enjoyed reading the Shabad Khalsa Mero Roop Hai Khaas ^_^

have you got a manuscript of the Granth, and did you translate it yourself...and please enlighten dass with a tuk-tatkara (sorry for wrong spellings) and a brief introduction about the CONTENTS of the Granth.