3HO

Guest SikhForLife

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gur Fateh!

I spent sometime quite closely with 3HO affiliated Sangat and yes there was parts of it that were a refreshing change from the usual Punjabi-politics and Lecturing...however, as with any organisation, stay there long enough and you’ll soon see similar idiosyncrasies and issues arising there too, 3HO is no exception.

From my experience and research into this Group they are largely misunderstood in both positive and negative ways. I do not doubt that there are those within 3HO, like any group, jatha, organisation, that do try to live as Gursikhs, however by the same token just as with any group, jatha, organisation, all is not what it seems.

I tend to find those supportive of 3HO, for example, the SGPC (as already indicated and also given the shared ‘Manual of Sikh Dharma’ web pages on Sikhnet and SGPC websites), the AKJ (through historical links with Bhai Jeevan Singh and Bhai Fauja Singh, who taught Gatka to Bhai Livtar Singh Khalsa, in turn introducing it to 3HO and more recently Bhai Rama Singh’s celebrated book Sikha Sone Da) and many l Sikhs of Indian origin (for want of a better term), tend to be over enthused by the sheer sight of an American in full Punjabi clothing with 5 Kakkars intact to be overwhelming,

I agree the commitment that 3HO show towards maintaining the 5Ks, Amritvela, their Rehit and essentially what they define themselves as (Happy, Healthy and Holy) is inspiring and commendable.

That said, it’s always worth a closer look, those critical of 3HO are quick to jump on the anti-yoga bandwagon, the role of Yogi Bhajan within the organisation, the use of mantras not commonly used or heard within other Sikh cir

cles and so on.

Having taken part in 3HO Kundalini Yoga as taught by YB and other regular kirtan divans organised by 3HO affiliated Sikhs, there are a number of interesting and contradictory observances that can be made. Those that have a problem with Yoga, should re-read the Sri Guru’s words on the subject (Yuktanand Singh has written extensively about this on Sikhnet and elsewhere and presents a fairly balanced view).

The main issue actually is that this Yoga is false! There is no such thing as the Mahan Tantrik or White Tantra, it is simply a self-concocted idea of YB (those wishing to look further can do so by exploring the vast and easily available literature on the Yoga Sutras, on Kundalini and on Tantra). Essentially from my experience of it (having practised regular Hatha/Astanga Yoga previously) is that it is little more than a combination of standard Hatha Yoga postures (of which only 6 genuine ones are employed in KY as taught by YB) and callisthenics, to be very honest, much of it was little more than exercises for pregnant women reflecting on the breathing exercises YB employed.

Again, I feel the concept of doing Yoga (or Martial Arts) as a supportive part of your Nitnem is great and should be encouraged (Indian Sikhs have a bad history of obesity and what not), however to caveat this, Yoga is not our Nitnem...

SOGGS Jee, you are correct concerning the mantras and the links to Guru Ram Das, which are fine, however what about the Adi Shakti Mantr “Adi Shakti Adi Shakti, Adi Shakti Namo Namo, Kundalini Mati Shakti Mati Shakti Namo Namo†which I have yet to find in any Sikh scripture (please correct me if I’m wrong) and clearly appears to be worshipping of the Adi Shakti, namely the goddess Durga.

YB essentially is a very charismatic individual, but to be honest, whilst admiring his business skills and marketing efforts for spreading some of the Guru’s word through pseudo-Udasi type efforts (incidently, YB is closely linked to Baba Virsa and the Udasi l

ink is evident through the Moorti of Baba Sri Chand outside the Gurdwara in New Mexico, the Sri Maha Akaal Mandir), he is a con man with regard to his lavish claims concerning Mahan Tantrik, White Tantra, Royal lineage and so on...the extent to which both sides set off against each other is a subject of much debate and will no doubt continue for some while...

...I must say that whilst I continue to have some close friends from 3HO backgrounds, who are inspiring as Gursikhs, I find the general audacity of many 3HO Sikhs to generalise about Punjabi culture and Punjabi/Indian people in the worst way is laughable...they see fit to venture into Punjab, wearing pseudo “Bana†and trying to teach local villagers, when they themselves can barely speak Punjabi let alone understand Punjabiyat or look into Sikh History beyond 1969 and the landing of YB in the US!

Gur Fateh!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

If you read the book in search of the true guru,by Bhai Rama Singh ji, he says he met yogi bachan, and was very pleased that he had spread sikhi in the west, also once when Bhai sahib was talking to a shaheed singh, the shaheed singh said white sikhs will play a part in khalsa raj, bhai sahib also saw white sikhs and Brown sikhs gettin married, i a lso think the shahhed singh said the white sikhs are good because thay have nio bad panjabi cultre in them.

Having met many 3HO Sikhs I have no doubt that they are devoted Sikhs. We can not question their devotion, but I would not say the same for their leader.

I have seen him doing katha in Guru Ji's hazoori and drinking water during his katha as if it was some lecture in a classroom. I also find it odd that as a spiritual leader he is very rude...he can't go more than 5 minutes without swearing (That is only from my own experiences of meeting him over the last 12 years).

Even more disturbing is the fact that some of his newer followers now say Yogi Harbhajan Ji's name in the Ardas along with the Guru's Name.

Once again, I want to stress it is not the followers who are wrong, it is their leader.

Some quotes from Gurbani to keep in mind (courtesy of sikhitothemax.com) :e:

-----------------------------------------------------

swDu imlY isiD pweIAY ik eyhu jogu ik Bogu ]

saadhh milai sidhh paaeeai k eaehu jog k bhog ||

Meeting with the Holy, the perfection of the Siddhas is obtained. What good is Yoga or indulgence in pleasures?

------------------------------------------------------

jog sbdM igAwn sbdM byd sbdM bRwhmxh ]

jog sabadha(n) giaan sabadha(n) baedh sabadha(n) braahamaneh ||

The Way of Yoga is the Way of spiritual wisdom; the Vedas are the Way of the Brahmins.

hir Bgq inj inhkyvlw ird krmxw bcsw ]

har bhagath nij nihakaevalaa ridh karamanaa bachasaa ||

Worship the immaculate Lord, in thought, word and deed.

jogyn ikM jgyn ikM dwnyn ikM qpsw ]4]

jogaen ki(n) jagaen ki(n) dhaanaen ki(n) thapasaa ||4||

What is the good of practicing Yoga, giving feasts and charity, and practicing penance? ||4||

------------------------------------------------------

jog jugiq suin AwieE gur qy ]

jog jugath sun aaeiou gur thae ||

I came to the Guru, to learn the Way of Yoga.

mo kau siqgur sbid buJwieE ]1] rhwau ]

mo ko sathigur sabadh bujhaaeiou ||1|| rehaao ||

The True Guru has revealed it to me

through the Word of the Shabad. ||1||Pause||

AYsw jogI jugiq bIcwrY ]

aisaa jogee jugath beechaarai ||

Those who contemplate the Way are Yogis.

pMc mwir swcu auir DwrY ]1] rhwau ]

pa(n)ch maar saach our dhhaarai ||1|| rehaao ||

They conquer the five thieves, and enshrine the True Lord in the heart. ||1||Pause||

ijs kY AMqir swcu vswvY ]

jis kai a(n)thar saach vasaavai ||

Those who enshrine the True Lord deep within,

jog jugiq kI kImiq pwvY ]2]

jog jugath kee keemath paavai ||2||

realize the value of the Way of Yoga. ||2||

----------------------------------------

These are just a few of the many times Guru has mentioned Yoga/Yogi...keep in mind these translations are not mine but are from sikhitothemax.com...so what does everyone think? is yoga condemned, encouraged, or neither?

i a lso think the shahhed singh said the white sikhs are good because thay have nio bad panjabi cultre in them.

Alrighty then....so they have GOOD western culture?

I've read that book too and all it means is that the "white sikhs" do not believe in caste system, but it does not mean that the western culture is good or bad. but in this case, punjabi culture is bad cuz we believe in caste system.