Eating Beef

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a wedding at the weekend and overheard a couple of fella's chattin about how they eat all animals, except cows. They were also sayin how they dont eat meat on certain days. I'm totally confused, what is this all about? I would have asked the guys but before I could say anything they were carried away by the rail gaddi :lol:

Anyone ever heard this before?

maybe because back in the day (and even now) sikhs earned their livelihood off the land and used cows to plough the fields, produce milk and the cow dung which was/is used as a source of fuel.

cows are a centrepiece to people earning their living and coupled with the holy status given by the hindu majority, cows are treated with respect by common folk. therefore eating beef is frowned upon in general indian society. :)

I think if you're gonna eat meat, you shouldn't distinguish between one type and another - it is all flesh in the end. Cows and cow meat are no more special than dogs or dog meat, or crocodiles and croc meat.

As for not eating meat/washing hair etc on certain days - superstition.

I've heard some people say they don't eat meat or wash hair or clothes on certain days because doing so means you get more problems/diseases/illnesses etc. I say naam jaap - only this will banish illnesses.

maybe because back in the day (and even now) sikhs earned their livelihood off the land and used cows to plough the fields, produce milk and the cow dung which was/is used as a source of fuel.

cows are a centrepiece to people earning their living and coupled with the holy status given by the hindu majority, cows are treated with respect by common folk. therefore eating beef is frowned upon in general indian society. :)

Thats a really interesting thought veer, I never thought of it like that thank you. Funnily enough my bibi said something simular when I asked her about this. She told me that in certain religions/cultures in india they hold the cow in the same reverence as they do their mothers, this is because the cow gives milk to these people as did their mothers in times of infancy. Then she said something really profound which was that these people hold the cow in reverence and refrain from eating it because of the milk it produces but what about the goat that they eat?

Old people, what do they know? :gg:

I think if you're gonna eat meat, you shouldn't distinguish between one type and another - it is all flesh in the end. Cows and cow meat are no more special than dogs or dog meat, or crocodiles and croc meat.

As for not eating meat/washing hair etc on certain days - superstition.

I've heard some people say they don't eat meat or wash hair or clothes on certain days because doing so means you get more problems/diseases/illnesses etc. I say naam jaap - only this will banish illnesses.

....humans and human meat.

I was at a wedding at the weekend and overheard a couple of fella's chattin about how they eat all animals, except cows. They were also sayin how they dont eat meat on certain days. I'm totally confused, what is this all about? I would have asked the guys but before I could say anything they were carried away by the rail gaddi :lol:

Anyone ever heard this before?

Yhhh man rail gaddi a madd tunee :p

I think this is true, the cows worked the fields to produce food for the family, drew water from the wells, used for transport to cart goods to the market and people. Also the cows milk was used to make a large range of food products like makhan (butter) , yoghurt. Mothers would use the milk to give to their children - Maybe why the cow is regarded highly in Hinduism because a person would see it as someone/animal helping to bring up their children to become healthy and strong. Cow dung would be used to heat the stove to make food. Because of its importance it was probably used as a status thing as well, showing people how well off your family was because the more cows you had the more you would produce from the fields to sell at the market. So i think the respect for the cow has come from cultural aspects of rural life rather than religious

I also used to get confused if chicken can be eaten why not beef. It is one thing that one should be vegetarian. Then do not eat any non-veg.But if people can eat chicken then better we should start eating beef too. We are not Hindus. We are Sikhs and lets put beef in Sikh marriages as

Menu to eat. We can get this discussed on Air too. Clarifications are required on this regard.