A conversation with Guru Gobind Singh

V

GuruFatehJi.

KhalsaJi,

The first topic for the Essay Marathon is: A conversation with Guru Gobind Singh

Imagine that you had a dream or it really happened. What would you ask or tell GuruJi? In return, what do you imagine GuruJi would have asked you or answered to your questions?

Your essay is not restricted to the number of words, but let's target to a minimum of 1000 words, it could be longer than that if you wish. Try and imagine the situation you will be writing about and study a little of the background of the Guru and his times (and his writings) to seek the answers that you feel how he would have answered. The answers do not have to be accurate, but they will guage the knowledge you have about the Guru and Sikh History. Do not hesitate to seek help from those who are more enlightened about the subject, like your Gurudwara Gyani or your parents and siblings, or even learned friends.

The topic is not as serious as it sounds, make it lively if you feel the need to. If you want to make it a serious conversation, even that approach is fine. It all depends on how you perceive the subject.

Beginning today, you have until latest Sunday 30 May, 2004 to submit your essay. Please post your essay in this thread only. All the writers who were interested in particpating in this marathon have been listed below, but it is still open to even those who are not listed. If the essay attracts your interest, do join in.

Please do not post any comments on any essay until it is closed. This thread is only for the essays. We will open another one for comments from readers after all the essays have been submitted.

Please include your full name

and occupation (or what you are studying) and a brief background about yourself.

All the essays will then be summarised into one and re-posted and even distributed to other Sikh sites.

So let your imagination free and let's hear what you said to Guru Gobind Singh Ji and what he told you in return.

TIP: Do an Ardas and ask GuruJi to inspire you, you'll be amazed with what you come up with!

Good Luck!

GuruFatehJi.

L*

. . . . . . . . . . .

WRITERS: S1ngh, Gupat Singhni, (Balait_da_Sher), smartsingh24, Satpreet, noonespecial*, raj_karega_khalsa, WalkingTowardTheLight, anon, japmans, Singhstah and Lakhvir.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Topic :wub: :)

I would be done by deadline ^_^ (I will try to tongue.gif )

So the Thesis is : Imagine that you had a dream or it really happened. What would you ask or tell GuruJi? In return, what do you imagine GuruJi would have asked you or answered to your questions?

Guest mehtab

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I am not on the writer's list, but have tried to write something. I am not sure if I will be able to write the forthcoming essays, but I will definitely try. I don't know how good of a work this is going to seem.

Conversation with Guru Gobind Singh

For some reason, I have always had reservations about the month of May. Maybe it is because most of my traumatic experiences have been in this month. Actually, the worst and painful ones have always seemed to occur in this month. I have always wished that something happens and changes this pessimistic way of my thinking. Believe it or not, something did happen and changed the way I looked at life.

The heat in the month of May in a landlocked place like Oklahoma can be maddening. However, the evenings tend to get a bit cooler, and are an ideal period to go for a nice, cool and peaceful walk around the green and grassy fields around. This is exactly what I did one fine and beautiful evening this month. I looked all around and thanked God for creating such a beautiful world. The chirping of the birds returning to their respective domains, the cool blowing breeze, the dim light of the sun setting, the green grass all around, and my favorite blue color encompassing the endless sky made me smile constantly as I walked.

I returned home after the sun set, and was a little tired as I had walked a little more than I usually did. As my eyes felt heavy, I started looking at the painting of Guru Gobind Singh in my room. I continued looking for a few minutes, and all the six years that I had been i

nto Sikhism flashed before me. It was this very picture that took me by storm at the home of a Sikh friend of my father who had invited us for dinner one evening in November of 1997. After that day I wasn’t who and what I was before. Things kept happening, and it was after six years that I finally bid farewell to my razor blades, my expensive trimmer, my electric shaver and the rest of my shaving kit. I was now a hairy and scary person who could easily be mistaken for a Muslim militant, and after 9/11 in this part of the world where people are not very eager to learn or make friends, it can be unsafe at times. But I wasn’t bothered about any of that, and was still staring hard at the painting.

I had cooked delicious Indian meal and was feeling sleepy by now. I lay on my bed and put a Gurbani CD so that I may fall asleep hearing God’s name and have a peaceful sleep. It was the shabad “hau reh na sakaan bin dekhe preetama, mai neer vahe vahe challay jeeo”, which roughly translates to “I cannot live without seeing my Beloved, and I cannot stop shedding tears”. As the shabad played, I lay on my bed with eyes closed, and there came a point when I was in tears. A desperate cry issued forth from within. I could not live without taking Amrit, and not a single thing or person in my life supported or encouraged me towards it. My one and only hope rested on Gurujee, and even though I lay silent with eyes closed, I was uttering desperate cries from the depths of my soul, out to Him. Before I knew, I was fast asleep.

Usually I have dreams whenever I sleep, but this time I surprisingly didn’t. I don’t remember what time it was, but it wouldn’t be wrong to say that it must have been some time after 2:30 AM when my body jerked suddenly and I woke up. For a lazy person like me, it was astonishing to know that I was wide awake. My CD player was not playing as the shabad was over, and my face was still wet from the tears. I thought I was hearing something, but I wasn’t sure. I tried to listen carefully,

and it started to get clear. It was simran, “Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru”! I had no idea from where the sound was coming as I had never heard this kind of simran before in my life. I sat up and started to listen to it with closed eyes. After a while, I started enjoying it, and started swaying my head right and left to the beats and tune. My lights were switched off, and so in the pitch darkness the sound of simran filled me up with delight.

I was alone at home, and was on the bed, a good distance from my light switch. Even though my eyes were closed, I could feel that someone had switched on some kind of dim bulb in my room. I slowly opened my eyes, thinking it must be the light of a car from my window, but the light was very much inside my room. From the side of my eyes I felt as if someone was standing close to me. I got so terrified that I sat there looking down, with no courage at all to look who it was.

I kept sitting utterly horrified this way for maybe a minute, and then I heard a voice call my name, “Rochak…!” The voice was so soft, so full of love, like I had known that voice forever. I was surprised as to who was this person, a man, who came into my house without my permission, freaked me out so bad, and even knew my name! Somehow I mustered up the courage to tilt my neck slowly and take a good look at him. I finally got to see his face. He was tall, with sharp features, bearded, and was wearing blue robes and a big blue turban. He had a plume on his turban and a ceremonial sword hanging by his waist. He stood there smiling at me, showering on me through his eyes all the grace that’s there. I realized who it was, and looked at him with my eyes wide open, shocked, and without blinking them for a period of at least two minutes. It was none other than Guru Gobind Singh Himself!

I tried to move but I couldn’t. I tried to say something, but all I did was move my lips and made no audible sound. All this while Guruj

ee was standing with a divine smile on His face looking at me. It took me a while to move, and again a little more while to get off my bed and stand before Him with my hands folded. He put both His hands on my shoulders and looked into my eyes. I fell on the floor and burst into tears like I never have all my life. My head was at His feet and the magnitude of the noise I made as I wept was enough to wake up every dead person in the three worlds, I cried that loud! He stood me up, still smiling at me, and holding me so that I don’t fall, as I was exhausted from crying out in such an extreme manner. He rubbed His hand on my head, and I felt a strong electric shock run all over my body. Then He sat me down on my bed, and I immediately stood back up. I cleared my bed quickly and sat on the floor, and with folded hands I signaled to Him to take a seat on the bed, as I was still not in a position to say anything.

He sat on my bed, and continued rubbing His hand on my head, occasionally wiping off my tears off my face, and holding my shoulder tightly as though encouraging me. It was after a few minutes that Gurujee finally spoke. “You didn’t think I’d come, did you? ”. I was still trying to clear my throat to say a word. “N-N-No. I didn’t” I said. He laughed mildly, and continued “You think I wasn’t here all this while?”. I said “I tried to think that way, but most of the time I’d forget it”. Gurujee smiled at me, He smiled the way I had never ever seen anyone smile before. I sat on the floor with my hands folded and tears of unexplainable joy flowing profusely.

So is there anything you want to say?” Gurujee said. I replied in a feeble tone “I don’t know what to say Gurujee”. “Then is there anything you want?” He asked. There was a supreme graceful smile on His

face as He said that, and I broke down into tears once again, and said “Gurujee, there is nothing hidden from you. You know what I want and what I want to say. You know everything, and there is nothing You cannot do”. Gurujee laughed gently once again and said “You shall have what you want Rochak. You shall be my Singh soon”. I felt a sudden wave of delight sweep across me, and I smiled and could feel my face glow with happiness as Gurujee said that. I bowed down at His feet and shed tears of joy and gratitude.

Suddenly I felt Gurujee’s feet were not there, and opened my eyes. I saw myself lying on my bed, and the CD player playing the next shabad “aise gur ko bal bal jaiyye, aap mukat mohe tare”, meaning “I am a sacrifice to such a Guru, who is Himself free, and saves me as well”.