Hyde Park Rally '10

SikhRoots

What did those who attended think of the images on the stage in Trafalgar Square?

Should we expand the floral tribute in Trafalgar Square?

We are looking for new ideas each year. Plans should start now.

How can we improve the Hyde Park end? - Ensure the gathering is in Hyde Park itself, better stage and sound, more focused speeches, roped area for the Sangat etc.

How can we improve the Remembrance March? - Large Nishan Sahibs or Keshri flags with the Khanda that we often see in Nagar Kirtans, more professionally designed placards and smaller banners, slogans in English etc.

How can we improve the Freedom Rally? e.g. more non-Sikh speakers, permission for Langar - as many had to leave the Square to get to the Langar, larger floral tribute, proper stage (rather than trailer) etc.

We need a team of dedicated volunteers (around 30) working behind the scenes that need to come forward sooner rather than later (by 31 October 2010) that will be split between the three elements of the event. Funding for the event is always an issue - the majority of the organisations making up the Federation of Sikh Organisations (FSO) usually do not pay up or sneak away having made their speeches . . . A proper 'organising group' drawn more widely from Sikh organisations and Gurdwaras that will also take responsibility for ensuring funds are available is essential.

Next year every one attending should aim to bring one or two Sikhs with them so we can keep increasing numbers by 50%. Gurdwaras should arrange more transport accordingly. We also need to get a professional Promo produced for the Sikh Channel (and or other Sikh Channels that may be open next year).

Also younger Sikhs and students, particularly those in London , should aim to each encourage 5 of their non-Sikh friends to come along to raise awareness. Imagine if only 200 Sikh youngsters/students managed to get 1,000 non-Sikh friends to the Remembrance March and Rally.

Overall, i think the programme was good. However, it seemed to drag on. I think any videos shown need to be short and to the point, as the concentartion span of people is not so long.

There are a number of people who are are audience for Trafalgar square and we need to try and cater for them all:

Non Sikhs - Videos and shorter speeches in English

Our Younger Generation - Speeches in English

Majority of Sangat from the Gurdwaras - Speeches in Punjabi along with either Dhadi or Kavishri.

Suggest the organisers try and get this mix 'right'.

Hyde Park, should only be a gathering point for the rally, with maybe speeches from Gurdwara reps and maybe Dhadi etc, whilst waiting for the start of the rally.

Alot of non-sikhs clearly had no clue what was going on or even what religion we are (my own personal experience with people coming up to me), there needs to be something done to tackle that, maybe more posters all around the square clearly stating our religion and exactly what happened. I mean things like "new generation, same war" aren't really going to mean anything to observers. There should be large clear posters with something like "Sikh massacre rememebrance" and maybe a picture showing Akal Takht before and after the attack in all corners of the square and the places where more gore stand.

Also MUCH more literature to be given out to non-sikhs, there were some people so curious that they even wanted to take a grays beadbi leaflet! Yet there weren't many explaining our religious beliefs and 1984 for them. I saw explanatory leaflets being given out during the march but not really during the rally. There has to be much more of that.

Also, the talks need to be much more understandable by observers, looking around most of them really did NOT seem to be getting it and were just walking out, some covering their ears unfortunately.

However, over all I found it to be a great day, just these factors in regards to non-sikhs could be improved.

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh

Overall, i think the programme was good. However, it seemed to drag on. I think any videos shown need to be short and to the point, as the concentartion span of people is not so long.

There are a number of people who are are audience for Trafalgar square and we need to try and cater for them all:

Non Sikhs - Videos and shorter speeches in English

Our Younger Generation - Speeches in English

Majority of Sangat from the Gurdwaras - Speeches in Punjabi along with either Dhadi or Kavishri.

Suggest the organisers try and get this mix 'right'.

Hyde Park, should only be a gathering point for the rally, with maybe speeches from Gurdwara reps and maybe Dhadi etc, whilst waiting for the start of the rally.

I agree with the above. Stronger focus on the English speeches/presentations at Trafalgar Square is definetly required... In honest terms, during the time Joga Singh, Cheuru, Manmohan Singh and Amrik Singh were on the Trafalgar Sq stage, it felt liked they had almost hijacked the stage and event started to loose momentum..

Keep the Trafalgar Sq part of the event for the stronger speakers..Let the usual glory seekers have their 5mins of fame at the Hyde Park bit...

I believe that a coordinated effort must be made with all organisations and groups wishing to provide literature, it seemed very amateurish and unorganised as the Sangat and other people in London were handed 6-7 different leaflets from small business cards types to larger ones, all differing in quality and style.

It would be better, more productive and effective especially for the Sangat if all these leaflets formed a small 4-5 page booklet, thus easier to handle and carry. Furthermore a lot of the material due to being produced without considering others publications was repetitive and similar. Whereas if this was done in a joint effort it would rule out this problem and then the booklet could have a logical layout with different articles from different people. All areas would be covered, well, and nothing would be missed.

For example:

Page 1: (Boss) June 1984

Page 2: (Sikh Fed) November 1984

Page 3: (AKJ) Human rights abuses 1984 until today

Page 4: (?) Punjab economic and environmental issues

With everyone printing small amounts of different leaflets, this is also not cost effective as if you put the money used on 4 or 5 different leaflets together you can print

Much better quality and quantity.

Furthermore apart from speeches, why can’t we do 5 mins of simran or chaupai sahib path for the shaheeds, the setting in Hyde Park was especially befitting,

Although some of my more aggressive brothers/sisters may find this too peaceful as a protest, surely this will be more productive in a remembrance for the shaheeds as well as for the creation of a Sikh homeland.

Think about how that would come across to non-Sikhs and first time attendants also, professionally designed coherent literature and 30 thousand Sikhs meditating.............

Jagtar this is especially directed at you as you seem most interested.

WJKK WJKF

Jagtaar and Bakree Jeoo, both of your comments above are excellent, I really hope the chief organisers of this rally discuss the options suggested.

To bring about change we need to change-- universal priniciple can be applied to anything...it is time for change on this rally's important tangets.

Thanks Sall

The problem I find with the march is that the style and format is as if 84 just happened, its all scenes of shock and outrage.........it happened 26 years ago.

We need to move on and see how we can make a difference to the victims of 84 today, the shaheed parivaars the singhs still behind bars.

It seems we will never forget 84......but neither do anything about it. instead of us doing nothing through the year and then shouting slogans on the day, shouldnt the speakers educate in a calm manner what it is we must all do to help.

Thanks Sall

The problem I find with the march is that the style and format is as if 84 just happened, its all scenes of shock and outrage.........it happened 26 years ago.

We need to move on and see how we can make a difference to the victims of 84 today, the shaheed parivaars the singhs still behind bars.

It seems we will never forget 84......but neither do anything about it. instead of us doing nothing through the year and then shouting slogans on the day, shouldnt the speakers educate in a calm manner what it is we must all do to help.

I fully agree with Bakaree, it seems that the shouting of slogans once a year is not the way to remember or respect the Shaheeds of 84. The Sikhs who attend the rally in London are the ones who mostly know the history so its our duty to reach out to non Sikhs en route and in Trafalgar Square.I think its vital that we include non Sikh speakers from the British government or human rights organisations ie Amnesty International.

We definately need refreshments especially as Langar is the core of Sikhi.the video clips need to be no more than 3 mins long and the banner which read " INDIAN DEMOCRACY " should have had a question mark or something similar or it looks like we were promoting indian democracy.We also have some speakers who have not changed their speeches since 1984 and i think its about time they were given very very little time.AND PLEASE NO MORE " INDRA <banned word filter activated> MARO JUTI " she got more than just juti.

We should also invite European Sikhs to attend the London rally, if we can go to France for a day trip then i am sure they can come to London for a day too.Lets make London european centre for the protest !

We need more organisation like on the 25th anniversary, the time at Trafalgar should be until 6pm the latest at the moment its too short and not everyone gets to speak ,the videos also have to CHANGE we can't use old videos we need to make our own with our own voice overs,flag of Khalistan should be raised this will send shockwaves around the World if the Khalistan flag is raised in the centre of London.

The black flags should be kept at the front last year with an army of Nishan Sahibs behind and banners,posters and so on, the bit at Hyde Park should be where everyone is given the banners posters and so on like last year.

We need an official FSO Video of each rally from now on for media purposes ,Sikh Chnl will show the rally on TV without a doubt BUT they will almost certainly edit it and make it 'politically correct' - well politically correct does not work in the Panth - only the truth does,thus we need an FSO video team filming the entire event

*Khalistan Flag should be raised.

*Organisation - with black flags at front - Army of Nishan Sahibs follows

*We have to stop using the old history channel videos and make our own with voice overs - even if the footage is old,more speakers from Europe should be called as well as Panjab,and UK Born Sikhs - along with calling that trade union guy who came a few years ago from Bristol he was good.

*Mayor should be called along with high profile politicians

*Continue with floral tribute

*Extend Trafalgar Sq time till latest - 6pm - don't matter if we get late this is only once a year lets make the most of it.

*Langar and water in Sq before hand under a tent - most ppl usually wonder off for food.

*Reaffirm the declaration of Khalistan 1986 - Independence from UK Sangat

*More UK born Sikhs Boys and Girls at the forefront, Moneh and Amritdhari

Give out 10 times as much Khalistan flags next year