bowing to sants

kam1825

many people bow to saints and some do not. i want to know your thoughts.

Many people would not bow to saints but are willing to do so when it comes to shasters, places where the gurus have sat, shoes when they are doing seva of cleaning them.

Many are happy to bow at other things as well but when it comes to a sant it becomes a definate no no?

please explain why!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jahan

Bowing can be a form of worship or it can be an expression of your respect towards someone. Unless you look-up to someone and hold them in such a high regard why would you bow infront of them?

Personally, i would not bow infront of just anyone because they happen to be held in high esteem by other people. Thats not because i am not a humble person but because i find a simple handshake or gesture to be sufficient sign of respect when it comes to other people...

Regards,

Sat Sri Akal:

Bowing is fine, even touching someone's feet is fine, but matha taek is only to be performed to the Guru Granth Sahib. This is as per a hukamnama that was passed by the Akal Thakat a coupleof years ago.

Of course, can I find it? Nope. No central source for Akal Thakat Hukamnamas... no.gif

a little story when i was little and went to the gurdwara at amrit vela bhai rama singh ji use to be always there and my mum use to make telll me to bow to them i would do so but when about to bow they woulkd pick me up and hug me. The 3rd time i did it they took me infront of dhan dhan guru granth sahib ji mahraaj and said you only bow to one person that is guru granth sahib ji, even though they sound like such simplw words it stayed in my heart for ever and from that day on i have neva bowed to anyone else except guru ji :wub: