Re-Taking Amrit

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I haven't taken Amrit yet. But I have to say, going by my own experiences, the closest I have ever felt to being next to one of Guru Gobind Singh's Singhs, is, when I am in the presence of a Taksali.

I am not joking. Their respect, love and knowledge of the 11 Gurus, Sikh history, Gurbani, Shaheeds is really unparalleled. The Nihang Singhs have a brilliant presence about them too!

Obviously, the members of the other Sikh Jathebandi's are much much better than me, and deserve alot of respect too. But, when you're looking for 'best of the best', the Taksalis are just so far in front it's amazing! (If anyone comes in a very strong second it's the Nihangs, their place in Sikh history will be there forever!!)

The Taksalis just seem to be so close to the Amrit that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave to Baba Deep Singh Ji (but that's no surprise as Baba Deep Singh Ji was the Taksalis first Jathedar). Obviously, as far as Maryada is concerned, Baba Deep Singh Ji went through the same Amrit Sanchar that the first Panj Piyare received from Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and which Guru Gobind Singh Ji then received from the Panj Piyare. I'm sure, that, if, Baba Deep Singh Ji could fight with his head in his palm, and write 4 Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, one of which was in Arabic, he could also make sure that he could keep a Jathabandi, as given to him by Guru Gobind Singh Ji, going for ever more, with the correct Maryada intact. Baba Deep Singh's Saroops of SGGS Ji are still at the takats and in one of the Arabic Countries today!!!

I'm sorry, I not doing any Jatha bashing, but I have to speak my heart, even if it's just to find out if what's in my heart is wrong. So please feel free to tell me. I am here to learn.

The last confusion I have in my heart is why do some Jatherbandia praise of Baba Deep Singh Ji and then try and rival, or laugh at, Baba Deep Singh Ji's very own Jathabandi (the taksalis).

Why do some Jatherbandia sing the praises of Guru Arjan Dev Ji and Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and then do nindia/slander of Raag Mala and the Tenth Guru's Dasam Granth . The Raag Mala is clearly in the Adi Granth for all to see, and carbon date, even today. The paper, ink, hand writing and binding is the same for the Raag Mala as the rest of the Adi Granth.

Many copies of Dasam Granth have been around for hundreds of years longer/before than the a relatively recently formed Jatherbandis, so how can the modern Jatherbandi override Guru Gobind Singh himself?

I would definitely only ever take the Amrit of Baba Deep Singh Ji's Jathabandi, as Baba Deep Singh Ji took Amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself, and therefore knew the exact Amrit Sanchar for his Jathabandi.

When I am deemed ready for Amrit, it will be the Taksalis I go to!!

To the modern Jatherbandi, don't stop though, keep going for the rest of your lives. It's better you worship 99.9% of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and see 99.9% of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as perfect, than none at all!

I think the person who started this post is very honest. And I don't this this topic has gone off track,or off topic,at all !!!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahegur Ji Ki Fateh

First page of this thread is just sad to read.. fighting over which amrit saanchar is better etc.. no wonder why there is no progress in our society..

:(

I felt the same horror and dejection when reading this thread for the first time (but I wasn't brave enough to highlight my confusion) - in fact this is another issue about modern-day Sikhi I had absolutely no inkling about. I'm definitely learning from being a member of sikhsangat - but some discoveries are quite painful, if that's the right word.

As a fellow "western-blotter" I can sympathise with the constant micro pipetting :rolleyes:

On the other side I wouldn't matter too mcuh about stuff in your ingredients, yes by all means try your hardest but I assure you, you won't be able to eat within rehit (i.e. no animal products) unless you keep some sort of bibek like making your own food and not eating from shops.

On the taksali side of life, if you feel that way about your amrit sanchaar then you should go to panj pyaare and consult them, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a taksali amrit sanchaar just one where pooran nitnem is read. Saying that I've heard that Leicester amrit sanchaars are taksali-fied.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I found this discussion very interesting, as my situation is a bit similar to that of the original post.

And I found the quoted post as well as that from 'ChupChapiti' Jeo very insightful.

Just like 'ChupChapiti' Jeo, I also wander (and am disappointed) that 'Naam Drrir' doesn't happen in any non-AKJ Amrit Sanchars.

Hence other than the Nam-Drirr 'incentive' (for the lack of better word!), I totally agree with '11gurusiJot' Jeo.

Can anyone throw some light into this VERY IMP aspect of Naam Drirr, becoz sometimes I feel that due to the absence of this during my Amrit Sanchar, perhaps I have missed out on something...

Would request and invite Sangat's view on this!

Once again, PLEASE NO 'Jatha-bashing'!

Bhul chuk maaf!

-JP

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

I haven't taken Amrit yet. But I have to say, going by my own experiences, the closest I have ever felt to being next to one of Guru Gobind Singh's Singhs, is, when I am in the presence of a Taksali.

I am not joking. Their respect, love and knowledge of the 11 Gurus, Sikh history, Gurbani, Shaheeds is really unparalleled. The Nihang Singhs have a brilliant presence about them too!

Obviously, the members of the other Sikh Jathebandi's are much much better than me, and deserve alot of respect too. But, when you're looking for 'best of the best', the Taksalis are just so far in front it's amazing! (If anyone comes in a very strong second it's the Nihangs, their place in Sikh history will be there forever!!)

The Taksalis just seem to be so close to the Amrit that Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave to Baba Deep Singh Ji (but that's no surprise as Baba Deep Singh Ji was the Taksalis first Jathedar). Obviously, as far as Maryada is concerned, Baba Deep Singh Ji went through the same Amrit Sanchar that the first Panj Piyare received from Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and which Guru Gobind Singh Ji then received from the Panj Piyare. I'm sure, that, if, Baba Deep Singh Ji could fight with his head in his palm, and write 4 Saroops of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, one of which was in Arabic, he could also make sure that he could keep a Jathabandi, as given to him by Guru Gobind Singh Ji, going for ever more, with the correct Maryada intact. Baba Deep Singh's Saroops of SGGS Ji are still at the takats and in one of the Arabic Countries today!!!

I'm sorry, I not doing any Jatha bashing, but I have to speak my heart, even if it's just to find out if what's in my heart is wrong. So please feel free to tell me. I am here to learn.

The last confusion I have in my heart is why do some Jatherbandia praise of Baba Deep Singh Ji and then try and rival, or laugh at, Baba Deep Singh Ji's very own Jathabandi (the taksalis).

Why do some Jatherbandia sing the praises of Guru Arjan Dev Ji and Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and then do nindia/slander of Raag Mala and the Tenth Guru's Dasam Granth . The Raag Mala is clearly in the Adi Granth for all to see, and carbon date, even today. The paper, ink, hand writing and binding is the same for the Raag Mala as the rest of the Adi Granth.

Many copies of Dasam Granth have been around for hundreds of years longer/before than the a relatively recently formed Jatherbandis, so how can the modern Jatherbandi override Guru Gobind Singh himself?

I would definitely only ever take the Amrit of Baba Deep Singh Ji's Jathabandi, as Baba Deep Singh Ji took Amrit from Guru Gobind Singh Ji himself, and therefore knew the exact Amrit Sanchar for his Jathabandi.

When I am deemed ready for Amrit, it will be the Taksalis I go to!!

To the modern Jatherbandi, don't stop though, keep going for the rest of your lives. It's better you worship 99.9% of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, and see 99.9% of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji as perfect, than none at all!

I think the person who started this post is very honest. And I don't this this topic has gone off track,or off topic,at all !!!

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vahegur Ji Ki Fateh

Guru Granth Sahib ji has other methods of simran listed in it. These methods clearly require someone to be somewhat advanced before they are even capable of using this vidhi
Would you please be kind enough to start a new thread and tell us at least a little bit about various methods present in gurbani? Dhanwaad :)

No need to start another thread. This is the one shabad I can recall. Don't remember if there are others.

ਰਾਗੁ ਮਾਰੂ ਬਾਣੀ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੀਉ ਕੀ

Raag Maaroo, The Word Of Jai Dayv Jee:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਚੰਦ ਸਤ ਭੇਦਿਆ ਨਾਦ ਸਤ ਪੂਰਿਆ ਸੂਰ ਸਤ ਖੋੜਸਾ ਦਤੁ ਕੀਆ ॥

The breath is drawn in through the left nostril; it is held in the central channel of the Sukhmanaa, and exhaled through the right nostril, repeating the Lord's Name sixteen times.

ਅਬਲ ਬਲੁ ਤੋੜਿਆ ਅਚਲ ਚਲੁ ਥਪਿਆ ਅਘੜੁ ਘੜਿਆ ਤਹਾ ਅਪਿਉ ਪੀਆ ॥੧॥

I am powerless; my power has been broken. My unstable mind has been stabilized, and my unadorned soul has been adorned. I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||

ਮਨ ਆਦਿ ਗੁਣ ਆਦਿ ਵਖਾਣਿਆ ॥

Within my mind, I chant the Name of the Primal Lord God, the Source of virtue.

ਤੇਰੀ ਦੁਬਿਧਾ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

My vision, that You are I are separate, has melted away. ||1||Pause||

ਅਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਅਰਧਿਆ ਸਰਧਿ ਕਉ ਸਰਧਿਆ ਸਲਲ ਕਉ ਸਲਲਿ ਸੰਮਾਨਿ ਆਇਆ ॥

I worship the One who is worthy of being worshipped. I trust the One who is worthy of being trusted. Like water merging in water, I merge in the Lord.

<a class="dict" href="http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.dictionary?Param=%E0%A8%AC%E0%A8%A6%E0%A8%A4%E0%A8%BF">ਬਦਤਿ ਜੈਦੇਉ ਜੈਦੇਵ ਕਉ ਰੰਮਿਆ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਣੁ ਲਿਵ ਲੀਣੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੨॥੧॥

Says Jai Dayv, I meditate and contemplate the Luminous, Triumphant Lord. I am lovingly absorbed in the Nirvaanaa of God. ||2||1||

-ang 1106

Dhanwaad! :D

People who do kundalini yoga talk about a kriya called 'so darshan kriya'. They say that it is prescribed in Gurbani and they point out the above shabad to support their claim. I did do this kriya and felt a huge difference in my psyche only in a couple of weeks, but I stopped doing it as I wasn't sure yoga was the way to go. What are your thoughts on this?

As it has been already noted, there are many different ways of doing Simran with vidhi. We had a baba ji visit our Gurudwara a few months who did sangat of a Sant (their name escapes me now). They also mentioned that there are many ways to do simran and taught sangat to do simran in this way.

- sit with back straight

- start with deep breaths and focus on the breath

- then start doing simran very very slowly, say each syllable; so waaaa hey goo rooooo; keep focus on your tounge while this is done

- after a few minutes, after the mind has calmed a little, increase the speed

- now you want to make a progressive path, focus on the tip of your nose and say waheguru once; then move focus to middle of the nose and say waheguru; then move focus to just above the trikuti (point right between your eyebrows) and say waheguru; repeat the same going back down from trikuti and to tip of nose; repeat the cycle. So you are saying waheguru 3 times going up and 3 times going down

- once you are comfortable with that, what you want to do is 3 steps go up, hold the focus on trikuti and say waheguru 3 times there; then go down and repeat

- moving on, the end aim is to keep focus on trikuti as long as possible while saying waheguru

- if the focus goes away at any time, start the cycle again, going from tip of nose to trikuti

I hope I have explained it in an easy to follow manner.

Just a thought, perhaps we should start a new thread and note down different ways of doing simran in that?