Why Are Sikhs Leaving Sikhism?

Big_Tera

I have heard of Sikhs who are leaving the faith. to either become agnostic ie 'those who dont belive in any religion. or those who are chosing to convert to other religions.

Now what is going on? are the people not happy about being Sikh? Is Sikhism not fufilling them? Do they think the grass is greener on the other side and hence convert to other religions. whatever it is. we need to give these people help. And we also need these Sikhs to tell us why they are leaving.

I dont know the exact numbers who are leaving. But you do hear alot of stories of such situations. which makes you wonder how common is this problem. its kinda depressing to read about such stories and kinda makes me think whats the point. what also bothers me is the ever increasing numbers of muslims who seem to be dominating in some areas of the UK. I live in an area with a high muslim population. And its kind of disheartening knowing that Sikhs are only small numbers.

Foolish said it well, Sachai/Truth is hardest to follow because it is REAL and something tangible and requires a practical effort.

As for agnostic and atheists, they don't understand the concept of Sikhi and Waheguru, if they take the time to read Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji even the most atheist of atheists would realize Waheguru.

As someone who is interested by religious and spiritual matters across the board, I'm also concerned about how Sikhs - who are otherwise respectable, educated and productive members of society - seem to dismiss Sikhi. I don't even think its out of disrespect but they feel the faith overwhelms them at times. There's a few people I've met who have stopped believing in God (and by association, taken an active decision to extricate themselves from the Sikh faith) and they've cited the in-fighting between various groups within Sikhi as an issue, as well as the assertion from proper Sikhs (i.e. those who have taken Amrit) that anyone non-Amritdhari has no voice in Sikhi and has no right to call themself a Sikh.

Then there's the problems between those who contest the validity of certain holy scriptures, and finally theres the issues surrounding the caste system. I'm told by these people that there isn't a consensus across the board - there isn't one agenda that can be followed by all. I argue that there is and its the path of the Khalsa, but like my brothers have mentioned before me, it is a difficult path to tread and some people don't wish to trouble themselves to that extent. Therefore instead of looking within and highlighting their own deficencies, they lash out and blame others - and the Sikh faith - for their own failings.

Then there's the minority who think its cool to be atheist (or a non-believer) nowadays. I'm not joking, sangat. Being an atheist is almost a badge of honour in this day and age. They see the likes of Richard Dawkins who present thoroughly convincing arguments for there not being a God, and their weak minds are easily swayed to believing that in order to be a progressive and forward-thinking individual, antiquated and ancient or medieval practices such as religion are no longer relevant in modern life.

Personally, I think its laziness. There's no desire within these individuals to learn anything about Sikhi. Without attempting to discover the jewels within our faith, they assume Sikhi must be like every other religion, and therefore invalid.

Its an increasing problem amongst the upwardly mobile sections of our people, and one that must be addressed.

Falling in love with this temporary life, people in it and dunia is easy. Being on the path of Sikhism is the hardest, because its all about conquering your mind, as gurbani states conquer your mind you will conquer the world.

And it's all about quality control only those who have Sikhi in their hearts will get salvation the rest drunk in this dunia (the vast majority) will not realise God because they have devoted their life around illusionary concepts of secularism/hedonism/individualism rather than thinking what Sikhism and in particular what SGGS Ji demands of them.

It is very easy to chuck your faith away for an easy life but when you look back at history you think of how Sikhs were offered choice of life or death they always chose death rather than live like slaves for an easy life and enjoying the pleasures of this life.

We have some of the worst generation's of Sikh's at the moment. But think of it this way.... it's all part of Waheguru's Hukam and master plan new leaders will come new solutions will come to problems that are facing the community.And also take heart from history, when stories dishearten you remember you are not alone you are in good company with those who stuck to the path of Sikhism even at the pain of death because the reward is eternal bliss. No Sikh wants to come back as a rat, or some meaningless insect in the next life.

living in central london, i find many people abandon their faiths, mainly christians and muslims though.

these are just my personal observations.

many hindus intermarry and convert too.

needless to say, a true sikh would rather be cut piece by piece then abandon their faith.

sir javey ta javey mera sikhi sidhak na javey.

sikhi amar hai!

The only reason that Islam is growing is that they have an extremely effective and well funded child educational model which they follow. The educational model & educational resources have come from Saudi Arbaia and are in a mature state and are tried and tested. Muslim kids attend religious education for one hour every day.

If you compare this with Sikhs, apart from a few camps here and there we provide our kids with zero education. The key is education education education!

The very first time the word Langar appears in SGGS Maharaj, it is not in the context of eating, its is the Langar of the Shabad. Our kids have ate a lot of Langar in their lives but how much Shabad da Langar have we actualy given them?

ANSWER: No where near enough.