Why Does Everybody On This Site Calls Me "Paaji" ?

SarabjeetS

In Punjabi, the word for brother is Bhaji ( not Paaji) . Sarbjeet S is right in that in Punjabi speech the word Paaji is generally used for father, or grandfather. It seems that people born in U.K, who mainly speak English, have difficulty in pronouncing Punjabi sound "Bh" correctly. They often pronounce the "Bh" sound as "P" sound. So they also tendto write it as they hear and pronounce it. Quite a few of them write "Bhaji" (Bhaaji) as "Paaji" and "Bhenji" (sister) as "penji".

Sometime back a linguist explained to me that Punjabi speech is aspirated and is tonal (one of the very few languages that are aspirate and tonal). But most other languages – English for example, are accentual. An English speaker is so used to accentuating the words that in so doing he finds it hard to slightly aspirate as well. When the words are accentuated, there is not enough time for aspirating the word.

So Sarbjeet S when someone from UK says Paaji and writes Paaji, he means "Bhaji"

Depends on which dialect/ accent. If your from majha sides its most proberbly Bhaji but most definently in Doaba it is pronounced Paaji and Phenji. As most UK Sikhs and Punjabis are from Doaba (mainly districts of Nawanshahr (SBSN), Jalandhar or Hoshairpur), then obviously they will use the dialect of their parents / grandparents which is Paaji and Phenji, even the older generations who came from India use those words. Noone even in India from Doaba says Bhaji its always Paaji.

SarbjeetS whats wrong with being called a brother? Your 21 how can a word which is used respectfully make you feel old?

Depends on which dialect/ accent. If your from majha sides its most proberbly Bhaji but most definently in Doaba it is pronounced Paaji and Phenji. As most UK Sikhs and Punjabis are from Doaba (mainly districts of Nawanshahr (SBSN), Jalandhar or Hoshairpur), then obviously they will use the dialect of their parents / grandparents which is Paaji and Phenji, even the older generations who came from India use those words. Noone even in India from Doaba says Bhaji its always Paaji.

SarbjeetS whats wrong with being called a brother? Your 21 how can a word which is used respectfully make you feel old?

I never said don't call me a brother .... veerji or praa is good term

In Punjabi, the word for brother is Bhaji ( not Paaji) . Sarbjeet S is right in that in Punjabi speech the word Paaji is generally used for father, or grandfather. It seems that people born in U.K, who mainly speak English, have difficulty in pronouncing Punjabi sound "Bh" correctly. They often pronounce the "Bh" sound as "P" sound. So they also tendto write it as they hear and pronounce it. Quite a few of them write "Bhaji" (Bhaaji) as "Paaji" and "Bhenji" (sister) as "penji".

Sometime back a linguist explained to me that Punjabi speech is aspirated and is tonal (one of the very few languages that are aspirate and tonal). But most other languages – English for example, are accentual. An English speaker is so used to accentuating the words that in so doing he finds it hard to slightly aspirate as well. When the words are accentuated, there is not enough time for aspirating the word.

So Sarbjeet S when someone from UK says Paaji and writes Paaji, he means "Bhaji"

My Santhiya teacher in India used to say people from outside could never pronounce a ਭ or ੜ

• 9 years later...

In United States Punjabis often use paaji as merely another form of “ji” — a form of respectful address. When you are being addressed paaji it means the speaker is showing respect, just like ji is used in Hindi or bhai is used in Gujarati, regardless of the age of the person. is it really that bothersome?

And addressing some 21 year old as beta, isn’t that a bit condescending and disrespectful? And doesn’t it make the callers sound older, unless they are indeed in their fifties? Have you thought about that?

On 10/14/2020 at 5:00 PM, ArupNanda said:

In United States Punjabis often use paaji as merely another form of “ji” — a form of respectful address. When you are being addressed paaji it means the speaker is showing respect, just like ji is used in Hindi or bhai is used in Gujarati, regardless of the age of the person. is it really that bothersome?

And addressing some 21 year old as beta, isn’t that a bit condescending and disrespectful? And doesn’t it make the callers sound older, unless they are indeed in their fifties? Have you thought about that?

So true 

• 4 weeks later...

I do find it odd when a man in his 50s or 60s with a long grey dhara calls me paji! and it has happened to me a couple of times! 

My parents are their 50s so I used to call people in their 50s uncle. 

A lot of people get offended when you call them uncle or aunty these days. Everyone wants to be a munda or a kudi nowadays. So to stay on the safe side I now call people in their 50s and 60s paji aswell. I'v even called buriyan in their 40s by their names. Like a buri in her 40s who has a son that is only a couple of years younger than me I'd be like Kidda Kulwinder teek aa?  Haha! 

Nxt time I need to address a woman in her 60s with grey hair, I think I'll just call her didi rather than aunty to stay on the safe side. Don't want to trigger anyone. 

I personally think it's nice when some teenage/early 20s Singhs call me paji lol  

Don't know y people get all upset over this stuff !