Provocation

Guest guptsingh

OMG, people are taking the gora's side over me? You actually want to help the gora? This is absurd & ridiculous; you honestly have to be kidding me. Are some of you singhs for real?

Your saying im out of control and my brain isn't function adequately? Have you seen my day job? That would answer your query about being outta control.

I could give a great argument back but why bother? When your own brothers attack you, why go to them for advice. This is a sad state of affairs.

I'll tell you one thing, I stood my ground, I made my mark, but when your in the same position as me then make a judgement? Step into my shoes that day, and tell me if you would have walked away. Imagine you were with a loved one that day, your child, parents, siblings, wife etc and they were abused would you stand their and let it happen? My only regret is the amount of punishment I gave not my cause for reaction.

Im behind you 100% brother...you make me feel proud that there are still singhs out there was some balls...im fed up with the pappu amritdharis who put brothers down for defending themselves and their kaum....when you show weakness...people will continue their abuse and even increase it...veerji you gave the fool shittar...maybe he might wake up and realise he cant get away with his agressive threatening behaviour...sometimes i feel singhs need to be hunted down again..maybe that might bring back the character of the puraatan singhs wihtin us...because at the moment we are living off our ancestors glory and behaving as though we are some sort of brave warriros...far from it!...their are more cowards in our kaum then there are soorme..sad but true!

its not the fault of our youth, the parchar that is being done these days consists of the follow:

Hindu/Budhist view- detach from life and maya, kill your 5 elements, concentrate on your jeevan, do as much paat as possible, everyone else's life and problems is left to maharaaj's hukam. No point becoming a Soldier as you need to be a Saint first.

What I see wrong in this type of Parchar

1. Sikhi teaches us to live a life amongst the evils of the world, not run away to hill tops in detachment. Its much easier avoid sin away from temptation, but the challenge is to be a Khalsa in kaalyug

2. Yogi and saadhus knew about killing the 5 evils centuries before Sikhi arrived. Sri Guru Gobind Singh ji Maharaaj could have continued this and did not require a new order if this was correct.

But Sikhi teaches us to be in-control of our 5 elements. By killing them altogether you would be a virgin door-mat unable to populate or defend himself, with no thirst for truth.

When we can control Krod, and able to turn it on for defense of your principles and others, then it become Bir Rass.

Bir rass is to fight as duty, without holding any solid hatred for your enemy. Much like a police man on duty. Its his job to wrestle a burglar for example, without no heartfelt hatred, its just his job. Its a Sikh's job to uphold honour and righteousness, its our Dharam (Dharam quite literally means Duty).

Similar lobh and moh we control and channel towards our desire for Gurbani, our desire for chardi-kala sangat, our desire for sewa, simran and shastr.

Kaam we control for pro creation. Hukaaar converts from personal ego to pride of the Khalsa, pride of our history, our Shaheeds, our Takts, our Nishaan Sahib our Dastar

Being a Sikh requires you to live on a tight-rope at all times, its easier to kill the 5 elements altogether, but being able to control them whilst living a normal life in the real world of kaalyug is a much greater challenge.

3. Concentrate on your jeevan. Yes 50% true, but similar to yingyang, miri piri go together. There is no where in Sikhi where it says you must be a saint first. these 2 shaktees go hand in hand. As your spirituality increases so should your shatr and combat vidhiya.

The way we learn gurbani by making mistakes and apologising to maharaaj, in the same way you can only defend the honour of sikhi and honour of the innocent if you start the physical battles as young as possible. Yes you will make mistakes, or let Krodh kick in, but then apoloise in Ardas in the same way.

4. Hukam vs Dharam.

So many Singhs misquote Gurbani here. First comes Dharam. Dharam is your duty.

We have many duties in life, duhnaavi duties. Such as the duty of a Parent. As a father our duty is to provide the best for our children, work hard to raise them, give them sikhi and everything worldly. Now once the child grows up, he becomes a criminal, THAT was HUKKAM. you did your duty.

Our duty is to work honestly. so we get up every morning and go work. At work if your'e involved in a accident and die, that was Hukkam.

In exactly the same way, its our duty to defend our faith and the weak. if whilst defending you die then that was mahraaj's hukkam. But dharam comes first.

The saddest thing is, many singh's use this Hukkam theory to justify doing NOTHING in the face of evil. they say oh that girl was raped because it was hukkam. Yes, but its YOUR duty to do something about it. You never hear them saying , "oh, lets not go work, because its in maharaaj's hukkam if we make money or not".. these people never leave nothing to chance when it comes to making money.. then hukkam goes out the window.

Dharam first.. whilst conducting your Dharam what ever happens is Hukkam, and accept hukkam as Mahraaj's parshaad.

Guest Lol to you

There seems to be a lot of confusing statements in this section mostly by people encouraging others to beat people. How has that ever got us anywhere we are in peace time not at war so we should focus on the inner battle. It takes a stronger person not to fight then fighting all the time. How much use is your sharstr vidiya if the guy had a gun ? No amount of training can help you but staying calm will. My idea was to speak to the person and tell them more about sikhs . Now you have made one more enemy that will hate sikhs and probablly take it out on some little singh :-(

Guest Rangle sajan

Yeah and i doubt he'll ever change there are storiei from book i loved called rangle sajan and thos tru gursikh could amaze a person with there humility and show them How great sikh is where are these gursikh now ? They didnt beat people ? You need to read this too . I think you are probably from a ghetto Area where it is hard. Most arent

OMG, people are taking the gora's side over me? You actually want to help the gora? This is absurd & ridiculous; you honestly have to be kidding me. Are some of you singhs for real?

Your saying im out of control and my brain isn't function adequately? Have you seen my day job? That would answer your query about being outta control.

I could give a great argument back but why bother? When your own brothers attack you, why go to them for advice. This is a sad state of affairs.

I'll tell you one thing, I stood my ground, I made my mark, but when your in the same position as me then make a judgement? Step into my shoes that day, and tell me if you would have walked away. Imagine you were with a loved one that day, your child, parents, siblings, wife etc and they were abused would you stand their and let it happen? My only regret is the amount of punishment I gave not my cause for reaction.

While the guy certainly deserved an <banned word filter activated>-kicking You need to think about what's best for yourself. Society is much more litigious now than it used to be. It is not worth it to go to jail or get a criminal record over an incident like this. Besides that, we are modeling appropriate behaviour in society for those younger than us. We need to model examples of Singhs being smart in the world, rather than reacting based on baser instincts. I'm not contradicting myself, while he deserved an <banned word filter activated>-kicking, there is a higher standard for Singhs.

There is the option of ignoring him, walking away, or talking to him. I realise that all of these options were not open to you in this situation. So the question is, while living in a litigious society with potentially harsh punishments for actions like yours, how do we deal with people who will harass us almost up to the level of violence, but won't cross that line??? My recommendation, learn the thousand yard stare. You probably already have it down. Just stare into his eyes, be silent, and wait for the guy to chicken out and leave you alone. Of course, he may fight you, but then you have gained the legal right (depending on local laws) to defend yourself!!! enjoy it. :) but not too much ;)

This tactic has worked well for me in a number of situations like this. Of course, I'm not disputing that teaching people about sikhi and resolving things peacefully is better, but sometimes that option is not open to us.

Another thing I'd like to add. To succeed on Gurmat marg, there is a need to be able to tolerate great insult while remaining shantmai (peaceful) inside. I'm not always there myself, but it is essential to aim for this, and not use empty justifications of our aggression as many do.

fareedhaa burae dhaa bhalaa kar gusaa man n hataae |

Fareed, answer evil with goodness; do not fill your mind with anger.

dhaehee rog n lagee palai sabh kish paae |78|

Your body shall not suffer from any disease, and you shall obtain everything. ||78||

fareedhaa jo thai maaran mukeeaa thinaa n maarae ghunm |

Fareed, do not turn around and strike those who strike you with their fists.

aapanarrai ghar jaaeeai pair thinaa dhae chunm |7|

Kiss their feet, and return to your own home. ||7||

This is far more advanced than engaging in violence. Generally, I try to follow this for personal insults etc. But if someone disparages the Guru, then after exhausting other options, there remains the option of the thousand yard stare... Again, it's all about self control. The more control over ourselves we have, the more options we have to react intelligently in situation.

one last point, it may be illegal to go too far with this. what i mean is, once the situation is over and done with, the situation is over and done with.... don't prolong it as there can be legal consequences, and it's also may be somewhat petty. You can probably tell that much of my post is aimed to the general audience and not directly to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Been there bro

honestly bro... don't listen to all of these people telling you that you did some wrong. Racists walk around us all the time, and what you did was fine as he provoked you. Laws or whatever... I don't give a damn. All these "Sikhs" on this site are pansies. To all the posters telling him not to fight back... I hope you don't teach your children the same, as when they are growing up they will be picked on like no tomorrow and it will mentally scar them.

Good job being brave. Look at all the Singhs of the past... they didn't take **** from anyone.. and neither should we. These people telling you to do nothing have never been in the position you have. I have been in many similar positions as yours (though not as serious) and me and a couple of other Singhs always stood our ground.

More power to you... don't listen to these beta-male suggestions of apologizing to a guy who verbally abuses you... lol pathetic

OMG, people are taking the gora’s side over me? You actually want to help the gora? This is absurd & ridiculous; you honestly have to be kidding me. Are some of you singhs for real?

Your saying im out of control and my brain isn’t function adequately? Have you seen my day job? That would answer your query about being outta control.

I’ll tell you one thing, I stood my ground, I made my mark, but when your in the same position as me then make a judgement? Step into my shoes that day, and tell me if you would have walked away. Imagine you were with a loved one that day, your child, parents, siblings, wife etc and they were abused would you stand their and let it happen? My only regret is the amount of punishment I gave not my cause for reaction.

You used excessive force, stomping someone's head on pavement could render them a vegetable for the rest of their life, if that's a punishment you think fits the crime of verbal taunting YOU ARE NOT A SIKH, Sikhs are SANT-Sipahi, if you don't get that concept, maybe it can be explained as Sikhs are supposed to be like 'Jedi' (if a modern cultural reference helps those young fools who are actually giving you shabash for your actions). Secondly, you say you also beat up a passer-by who might not have been aware of the situation AT ALL and only saw a roided thug beating on a helpless man's head, and you thrashed HIM too???? WHAT did he do other than want to break up violence? Was it your Sikhi that thrashed him as well? Wow, reading the posts that actually tell Sikhs to show restraint are getting negative reviews yet the so-called Sikhs who have some serious anger issues are yelling out how you did seva. This is pathetic, as a Singh, and one that obviously had more physical strength than your opponent, it was UP TO YOU to show MENTAL and SPIRITUAL strength as well. You could have simply subdued him, instead in your anger you stomped on him once he was already physically disengaged, this was wrong.

Guest Gurbani

Wjkk wjkfateh

Although I'm not averse to the above suggestions, I would say that sometimes it's good to recognise that these reactions stem from ego. If you believed yourself to be truly nothing then you wouldn't be offended by such remarks. When you see maharaj in everyone if he says something impolite to you then it makes no difference, it's essentially him talking to himself. It's weird but its true, I'm not saying you have to be like this right now, but one day aim towards being like that. Like when Bhagat Kabeer ji sat on a horse with what looked like a prostitiute and alcohol in his hand, most of his town slandered him, bhagat kabeer ji did this to deter people from worshipping him, but also showed us that as a gursikh we should adopt a policy of

"Nindo nindo mo ko log nindo, ninda jan ko kharee piaree..."

-Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me. Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

As ustat (praise) is probably much worse than being slandered, being slandered reduces your ego whilst praise only elevates it :)

I've been slandered to the ground while on the bhagti path.

The thing is, when we begin bhagti and saying His name, we are becoming just like Him/ attaining his virtues. Those who are far from the Truth, ie. those who do not control their 5 theives(which keep us from the Truth) sense the light we are emitting(in a worldly sense, as really, the Truth/God lives in no image, light is just a visual symbol of Truth realisation) and it irritates them. Hence the reason our Gurus and bhagats were targeted so severely by those who were engrossed in kalyug.

The higher one goes in bhagti, the more controversial the tests. If one really wants to be on this path they should be able to withstand anything(Gurus accepted matyrdom knowing God's will is perfect no matter how it may seem, its, its all to bring a balance- none of the imagery is real).

What I have learned is that reacting in maya (5 thieves including anger) sends us deeper into the <banned word filter activated> of maya and kalyug while reaacting according to gurbani takes us further into Truth as we realise there is actually no ego to react.

We do not become what the slanderer calls us and are not better than what the slanderer says we are because the reality is that we are NOTHING- no image, no form, we are just like HIM, nothing, lowest of the low(most humble) and All loving- we just all have a really tough time accepting this fact(ego).

If the Gurus could accept this, why should we not follow suit(they taught by word and example).

Satnam Ji