GORAE doing guru sahibs beadbi (UK)

Mkhalsa

StopSingh,

Please be quite, as your posts are point less. If the Sikh Museum does not have climate controlled rooms. The Sangat will Help with this seva.

Singh we hear stuff like this all the time, and it rubbish.

People say way not stop gianis from drinking, why not do this and that. WE are WORKING on one thing at a time every will be done.

Its easy to sit behind a computer typing pointless stuff.

Our Main Aim is to take all Granths from BL to the Sikh Museum and if they need climate controlled room that seva will also be done.

FULL STOP, stop wasting time.

:lol: ) You really are touchy. Learn to control your temper. :lol:

I am TRYING TO find out what methods the Sikh Museum uses to preserve our heritage.

>>Singh we hear stuff like this all the time, and it rubbish.

Hear stuff like what ?? that we need temperature controlled rooms ??

>>If the Sikh Museum does not have climate controlled rooms. The Sangat will Help with this seva.

Well thats the whole point p

'http://forums.waheguroo.com/html/emoticons/laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif'> . The museum should have these prior to housing these items of great importance to the Sikh Quam. So if they do not have them what methods are they currently using to control humidity etc and preserve the current items they do have ?

We do not want these hand written Guru Granth Sahibs to be kept in conditions which could cause them damage. See there is a point to my posts so I shall not be quiet. I am concerned with preserving Sikh heritage and if that means I upset you with my "pointless posts" then so be it ! :lol: ) :D :wub: :lol:

>>Our Main Aim is to take all Granths from BL to the Sikh Museum and if they need climate controlled room that seva will also be done.

Very good aim. But should the Sikh museum not have these rooms in place for its current collection ?

Thanks very much Kandola paaji for emailing the Sikh museum :TH:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

We are going off track! Please remember that The BL is still "displaying" Sri Dasam Granth Ji in a glass cabinet.

Seva which the Cyber Sangat needs to do:

1) Keep the pressure on the British Library. Its been over three days with no reply about Sri Dasam Granth Ji. We need to think of the next step.

2) Also we need to pressure the organisers: No matter how far they try do distance themselves ASHT must be involved aswell as Indrajeet Singh of NSO(inderjit.singh@gmail.com) as they have been promoting it. They must be reminded what is allowed as artefacts and what are not! They will have say to stop this "display".

3) Instead of talking why dont we do research into the actual equipment required to store Historical Guru Maharaj Saroops. How much will an air humidify cost for example and what other equipment is required?

Khalsa ji, together we have combatted Alu Mushrooms, worked with Milton Keynes & Northampton Gurdwaras to stop Guruji saroops going to hotels, and received an apology from BL about the "display" of Historical saroop of Guru Maharaj.

We have to resolve this issue aswell. Sri Dasam Granth Ji is Gurbani - Sikhs respect Gurbani as Waheguru's roop.

GurFateh!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

In fact a quick search by Singhs have found the following info about the equipment required for maintaining temperature control!

http://www.electrotechsystems.com/environmental.asp

http://www.contral.co.uk/erol.html

http://www.hawco.co.uk/theories.asp?section_id=37

http://www.issltd.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

This seems great. Another thing to consider is security. I have never been to the sikh museum, nor even heard of it, but I am hoping they have that stuff.

Lets get this going. Perhaps we can have puratan saroops from everywhere taken there if they create a facility like we are imagining.

Respect For Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Campaign.

Letter sent to the Chief Executive of the British Library - 12 August 2004:

The Sikh Community is highly disappointed with the poor response from

the British Library, about removing Sri Dasam Granth Ji from ‘Faith

and Brotherhood: Treasures of the Sikhs’ display.

The reason you gave for revoking Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji from the

exhibition was:

“the manuscript should still be accorded the same respect due to a

complete Guru Granth Sahib. Hence our decision to remove the

manuscript from display immediately.”

This response was appreciated by the Sikhs and well received, however

now the Library seems to think it has authority to continue to

“display” Sri Dasam Granth in a glass cabinet. As previously stated

this is also Gurubani for Sikhs and has the writings of Sri Guru

Gobind Singh Ji & other Sikh Poets. The disrespect shown by the

British Library highlights the fact that you feel these scriptures

are your private property and can been exhibited as the Library

chooses, even if this victimises communities and offends their

beliefs & faith. May I remind you the British Library is a Public

Institute.

Two prominent scholars who advise the British Library and other UK

Institutions have quoted the following:

Jeevan S Deol:

“I am afraid that I am not fully aware of the situation to which you

refer. I

am not connected with the running of the British Library or its

displays,

and was not consulted about this particular exhibition.”

Harbinder Singh Ran

a:

“Whilst I can confirm that the present display was organised by the

British Library to coincide with the launch of the Anglo Sikh

Heritage Trail we were not party to any consultation in terms of

the content or form of display.”

Then who actually advised the British Library about the “contents” in

this exhibition. It is blatant that the Library has assumed it is

knowledgeable in all fields, your ignorance has lead to this point

were Sikhs were yesterday stopped by security guards from taking

pictures of the “display”. May I ask if any other visitor or tourist

would have been stopped like this? Is this exhibition not for Sikhs?

Thus your aim is to offend & insult our religion and Guruji.

We demand a response now and the removal of Sri Dasam Granth Ji and

any other Gurbani Granth you have on display immediately.

If not them we demand to meet with you face to face to discuss the

above issues.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Some Singhs have contacted Jasleen Khandari at BL (020 7412 7249) on behalf of Respect for Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Campaign.

Obviously not willing to comment in any way, only point she said was that all emails about this issue have been replied to - LIE! I am still waiting for a reply.

What should the Library do:

1) Revoke Sri Dasam Granth Ji immediately from display

2) Revoke any other Granth that includes Gurbani from display

3) NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot understand why the BL is still continuing with this!?

Cyber Sangat - you have the number. Ring as individuals and say the above points.

GurFateh

Singhoo.. how about showing the rehat from an Official Sikh Institution, Sri Akal takht sahib..

Do Research and made a report showing that the Akal Takht (compare it with Vatican) do not allow this to be happening. :wub: ?? might be a lil helpfull

-edited- Thanks singh jee for the pm :D

Gursa singh can u edit ur post too.. (the quote of my post) thanks

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

I have just received this reply from the British Library via Mr Michael O'Keefe:

As you will have seen from our prompt and unequivocal decision to remove the Guru Granth Sahib manuscript from display, the British Library has no wish or intention whatsoever to cause offence to the Sikh community. We recognise the unique position of Guruship which the Guru Granth Sahib holds.

Most responses from within the Sikh community which we have received to date have expressed satisfaction at our response. We have not received any widespread request to remove the Dasam Granth from display, and understand that within the Sikh community itself there is no unanimity regarding its authority and status. It should be pointed out that manuscripts of the Dasam Granth have been displayed previously, for instance in the V&A’s highly successful The Arts of the Sikh Kingdoms exhibition in 1994. Like other cultural institutions in the UK holding items relating to many world faiths, we think it important that we do continue to display materials reflecting the religious diversity of modern Britain, not least Sikhism itself.

I hope after reading the above those who did not wish to involve themselves will reconsider. We need to tell the BL and other Institutions that things have to change. Gurbani is not an "artefact"!

GurFateh!