Interfaith Marriage At Gurdwara Happening

Guest sat

I'm not advocating diluting principles. We were discussing allowing people with cut hair to wear dastaar during anand karaj.

I would rather people appear in front of guru ji in Sikhi saroop, rather than as a jazzy b wanna be.

Quantity is important also. Remember that democracies are ruled by the majority.

That is why I am against making maryada so stringent, that only a handful can follow it. Because, then we would be an even smaller minority than we already are.

The reason why many people are against marriage of people of different religions is because it turns the sacred Anand Karaj/Laavan into a mere ritual. There are very direct Shabads being said that aren't read just to read.

If someone doesn't believe in them and says they don't believe in it, then there should be no reason this should take place. At the very least someone can say they are trying to believe in it.

curioustoknow, how would your leaders feel when the most sacred divine native rituals gets mocked or turned into pure dogma by the locals? Anand Karaj is same. Anand Karaj is sacred marriage vows those who commit to follow those vows (which involves requirement for both parties to take vow to be in sikh religion due to vows itself) or pay sincerity to it should be allowed to have them. Our youths are trying to bring awareness of sacred anand karaj vows to our locals and trying to change the mindset.

wow i hardly think a muslim should be lecturing on tolerance, you guys protest over cartoons

I do? Wow! Didn't know that! The only protest I remember doing was against violence and torture...but I guess you know me better than I know myself

curioustoknow, how would your leaders feel when the most sacred divine native rituals gets mocked or turned into pure dogma by the locals? Anand Karaj is same. Anand Karaj is sacred marriage vows those who commit to follow those vows (which involves requirement for both parties to take vow to be in sikh religion due to vows itself) or pay sincerity to it should be allowed to have them. Our youths are trying to bring awareness of sacred anand karaj vows to our locals and trying to change the mindset.

Well thats what I was saying, if you have to take sikhi vows, then maybe he was a sikh at heart and just because his family is hindu was being judged a hindu, or maybe he was scared to tell his family that he wanted to be sikh and this is how he told them...i mean you never know, thats why I am a huge activist about not judging people...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW...only God knows

Well thats what I was saying, if you have to take sikhi vows, then maybe he was a sikh at heart and just because his family is hindu was being judged a hindu, or maybe he was scared to tell his family that he wanted to be sikh and this is how he told them...i mean you never know, thats why I am a huge activist about not judging people...YOU JUST NEVER KNOW...only God knows

I believe that's the reason couples are consulted before have prior meetings to go over importance of anand karaj.

With this going on its interesting to note that on some wedding cards of late that I have seen (non sikhs by birth - who are marrying a person from a 'sikh' family) are having the title Singh and Kaur added to their respective names.

Overall what is happening now is taking the mickey, which IMHO is making the gurdwara's and our community look foolish. Until we have a universal enforcement of the decree people shouldn't add the Singh and Kaur to their name willynilly (as the goreh say).