why sikhism isn't for me....yet?

curioustoknow

I was asked this question on another thread but it stayed from the OP so I decided to start a new thread.

1. I don't know that much about it. It took 4 years of studying to find Islam, it took 15 years of consciously studying christianity to realize the holes. I would be marked a liar and a fraud if I accepted a belief I know so little about. It has only been just over a year since I originally found out about sikhism and I just don't know enough.

2. Sikhism just doesn't go deep enough for me. I am a total believer in interdimensional beings. Believe that we do share our existence with many other creatures. Which, so far have not been explained to me yet by any sikhs except that they don't believe that. And no matter the reasoning I have given they continue to refuse to believe. As far as I can tell, sikhism doesn't pre date Guru Nanaak. As great a person as he was,I think there had got to be some misconception that just because he didn't talk about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Islam goes back to the creation of the universe and integrates with Jewish and pre Jewish prophets and teachings.

In my opinion the gurus came to expand on the messages previously revealed.and maybe that could be one reason why there is no historical insight in sikhism. I believe that most religions stemmed from the same origins yet were changed by man as time went on. Hinduism, Buddhism, Mayans, cherokee, and loss of other ancient cultures came from one understanding. I feel deeply connected to many people and many faiths, but not modern renditions if those faiths.

I speak or a lot against hatred and racism and I really try to inform people of brotherly love but to be honest some of the sikh ideals, like a requirement to fight...I am so not a fighter and I would stand up for anyone, but when it comes to fighting physically,I am a wuss...sorry I know it seems so menial, but that scares me...

"It has only been just over a year since I originally found out about sikhism and I just don't know enough."

"Sikhism just doesn't go deep enough for me."

contradictory. how cud know how deep Sikhi goes if u dont know enough about it to begin with?

As for creatures, Sikhi says Gods creation is endless, ghosts exist, there's life everywhere, and reincarnation happens. I think its clear Sikhi is VERY open-minded.

You say clear, I say I'm uninformed/misinformed because it seems the sikhs I have talked with do not believe in these things...also those statements are not contradictory but seem to go hand in hand if I an incorrect about sikhism...please inform me

i got a feeling your not actually cherokee lol

I do believe he or she is Cherokee.

Curioustoknow, the problem is the language barrier. To understand Sikhi you must know Gurmukhi and have a knowledge of the very complex uses of grammar used in Guru Granth Sahbi Ji. A very simple example is what a friend of mine posted very beautifully:

´God is One´ is not the same as `There is but one God´.

Some people mistranslated Ik Onkar to mean many things, but in the end it's impossible to translate the depth and meaning of what Ik Onkaar is without understanding the Gurmukhi.

Here's one of the few in depth kathas in English that have stuck with me. Something you will rarely find is katha in English.

~~~~

Katha and Kirtan by Bhai Sukha Singh from the UK: