why sikhism isn't for me....yet?

curioustoknow

Guru is God

in the eastern religions(excepting Gurmat, which looks as the Shabad Guru rather than human Guru) all the Gurus or teachers/guides were treated on a par with God, that isnt to say that they WERE God, but as they were the guide to deliverance, they were treated as if they were actually God. This is common throughout Eastern philosophies. Gurmat broke the mould.

Lets identify the "Guru" first, is it the body of Guru Nanak Dev Ji? No, it is the Shabad, the Word of Sri Akal, so firstly, the Word was never seperate from Sri Akal, so the question of the "Guru" connecting with Sri Akal is nonsensical.

But can I ask is it not in Islam, that one cannot be submissive/obedient to Allah, unless he recognises that Mohamed is the Messenger of Allah and the seal of the Prophets?

Dont confuse the human bodies of the Gurus with God. The human body was or is not God, it was the eternal WORD, the Shabad which is worthy of worship, not the actual human body. By that reasoning someone could say the Sikhs havent had a Guru since 1708, after 10th Guru.

Yes, it is, but Muhammed PBUH was not considered God

I understand and agree with what you say about the Word being God...but at the same time, didn't Guru Nanaak used to wash his feet and let people drink the water to bestow blessings on them?

Wouldn't that be considered a physical embodiment, not just a spiritual?

Do you believe Hazrat Muhammad traveled to heaven and returned in the time it takes to blink an eye? Do you believe Jesus brought the dead back to life? Do you believe Moses walked on the path the sea cleared up for him? Then howcome you don't believe that Guru Sahib was God Himself? Gurbani says there is no difference between God and Guru. In fact I am not comfortable using the word "God" as it is so Semitic. In fact, several Hindus and Muslims as well who met the Guru Sahibaan did confess that "Thour art Allah Himself". See the problem is you are trying to analyze apples using the information you have about oranges. You are trying to understand Sikhi from an Islamic point of view. You need to shed away all preconceived notions you have and set your mind independent before you start studying Sikhi. You will entirely miss the context of things if you hold onto any specific mindset. In Islam Allah isn't believed to be omnipresent, in Sikhi, Vaaheguroo jee is. Once again, read up the lives of the Guru Sahibaan. You'll realize that there is no difference between the sun, the sun rays, and sunlight.

Yes, it is, but Muhammed PBUH was not considered God

I understand and agree with what you say about the Word being God...but at the same time, didn't Guru Nanaak used to wash his feet and let people drink the water to bestow blessings on them?

Wouldn't that be considered a physical embodiment, not just a spiritual?

Muhammed PBUH was not considered God, but the connection of him with God is essential for a Muslim. You cant be a Muslim unless you recognise Muhammed, so the connection between God and Muhammed is there.

Charan Pahul was the form of physical connection with the Word, not a spiritual connection. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was not connecting these people with himself physically by giving them amrit.

I can see where this debate is heading, it is heading towards the Sargun/Nirgun God. Sargun/Nirgun God is unfathomable to Abrahamic faiths, and I personally are still learning about this. There are other people on this forum who are able to explain God better than me.

You are trying to understand Sikhi from an Islamic point of view.

this is natural, as you have been following this beleif system for years, but try to think outside of the "box" as we say in UK.

I'm really not debating anything I'm not trying to bring Islam into this, but because I have said I am a Muslim this continually gets Brought up I'm trying to understand if the Gurus were considered the physical embodiment of God Or not...some say yes some say no this seems to be too important of an issue to just let go...do sikhs worship the gurus as physical God or not?

I'm really not debating anything I'm not trying to bring Islam into this, but because I have said I am a Muslim this continually gets Brought up I'm trying to understand if the Gurus were considered the physical embodiment of God Or not...some say yes some say no this seems to be too important of an issue to just let go...do sikhs worship the gurus as physical God or not?

What is physical about God?

do sikhs worship the gurus as physical God or not?

No, we dont, Waheguru's permanent state is one of Nirgun, one without physical attributes, His Sargun, physical dimension is only temporary.

This is kinda hard to explain, but what is Waheguru in Sikhi? This is the answer you are looking for. Then you will find the answer to the question you have asked above.

Very informative, thank you...and for the prophets who brought miracles, they only were able to perform the miracles because God allowed them to, not because they were God. There is even a story in the Torah where Misses PBUH took credit for one of the miracles and was severely punished for it...so the humans were not the embodiment of God himself but were given a small amount of Gods power to use in accordance with Gods will.

Question for the person who said Guru Nanaak wasn't born, I am not so sure I follow, he had a mother a father, and a sister, or are you referencing to when he came up out of the river enlightened? Or how about just explain to me what you mean please