Christmas trees in houses of Sikhs

JSinghnz

I think the key point here is that Christmas isn't even a religious festival anymore. OK, so it might be for a few hardcore Christians here and there, but all the Christians I know celebrate it purely as a cultural thing. My family puts up a tree and gives presents - doesn't make us any less Sikh. We do it because it's the cultural thing to do in England - being a Sikh isn't about alienating yourself from society, it's about integrating (and maintaining the right balance). Sure, if we started worshipping Jesus etc then of course that would be wrong as Sikhs, but for us it holds no religious value - purely a cultural time where most people have time off work because it's a national holiday, so the the family can get together, have dinner, exchange gifts.
Just my 2 cents worth.

WJKK WJKF

I think the key point here is that Christmas isn't even a religious festival anymore. OK, so it might be for a few hardcore Christians here and there, but all the Christians I know celebrate it purely as a cultural thing. My family puts up a tree and gives presents - doesn't make us any less Sikh. We do it because it's the cultural thing to do in England - being a Sikh isn't about alienating yourself from society, it's about integrating (and maintaining the right balance). Sure, if we started worshipping Jesus etc then of course that would be wrong as Sikhs, but for us it holds no religious value - purely a cultural time where most people have time off work because it's a national holiday, so the the family can get together, have dinner, exchange gifts.

Just my 2 cents worth.

WJKK WJKF

Whatever makes you sleep easier at night

So you didn't read the 15 other pages of discussion. Thanks for ignoring us all :biggrin2:

Nope, sorry to disappoint you, I did read it.

LOL at this thread. People make big deals about what others do...in the big picture...its really no big deal. We get all OCD about religion, and are left as just a bunch of robots who need to be programmed and never think for themselves....its sad.

I totally agree :)