The origin of 5 Kakaars

हणवंतु जागै धरि लंकूरु ॥

Haṇvanṯ jāgai ḏẖar lankūr.

Hanuman with his tail is awake and aware.

संकरु जागै चरन सेव ॥

Sankar jāgai cẖaran sev.

Shiva is awake, serving at the Lord's Feet.

कलि जागे नामा जैदेव ॥२॥

Kal jāge nāmā Jaiḏev. ||2||

Naam Dayv and Jai Dayv are awake in this Dark Age of Kali Yuga. ||2||

जागत सोवत बहु प्रकार ॥

Jāgaṯ sovaṯ baho parkār.

There are many ways of being awake, and sleeping.

गुरमुखि जागै सोई सारु ॥

Gurmukẖ jāgai so▫ī sār.

To be awake as Gurmukh is the most excellent way.

इसु देही के अधिक काम ॥

Is ḏehī ke aḏẖik kām.

The most sublime of all the actions of this body,

कहि कबीर भजि राम नाम ॥३॥२॥

Kahi Kabīr bẖaj rām nām. ||3||2||

says Kabeer, is to meditate and vibrate on the Lord's Name. ||3||2||

The essence of the shabad is about those being ''asleep'' in the maya whilst they are getting robbed, compared to the gurmukhs that are more than awake.

This ''wakefulness' is about being dead whilst alive (jeevan mukht) and knowing how to be detached from what makes you sleep (the maya)

If you think the shabad gives a different messgae, then please advise so we can all learn.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'm trying to say that we can't just make clear cut distinctions with hindu mythology and adapt gurmat to them in a literal sense can we ??

Like I said, Abraham was as much aligned with Nanak philosophy as others, but because the metaphors of Abrahamic judaism and moses were not expressed we then just disregard them.

I admire your open-minded attitude, but we have to be careful not to misguide the young or new sikhs !

ਸਤਿਜੁਗ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਵਾਸਦੇਵ ਵਵਾ ਵਿਸਨਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ।

Satijougi Satigur Vaasadayv Vavaa Visanaa Naamu Japaavai.

सतिजुगि सतिगुर वासदेव ववा विसना नामु जपावै ।

In Satyug, Visnu in the form of Vasudev is said to have incarnated and ‘V’ Of Vahiguru reminds of Visnu.

1 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੧

ਦੁਆਪੁਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਹਰੀ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਹਾਹਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ।

Duaapari Satigur Haree Krisan Haahaa Hari Hari Naamu Japaavai.

दुआपरि सतिगुर हरी क्रिसन हाहा हरि हरि नामु जपावै ।

The true Guru of dvapar is said to be Harikrsna and ‘H’ of Vahiguru reminds of Hari.

2 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੨

ਤ੍ਰੇਤੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਰਾਮ ਜੀ ਰਾਰਾ ਰਾਮ ਜਪੇ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਵੈ।

Taytay Satigur Raam Jee Raaraa Raam Japay Soukhu Paavai.

तेते सतिगुर राम जी रारा राम जपे सुखु पावै ।

In the the treta was Ram and ‘R’ of Vahiguru tells that rembering Ram will produce joy and happiness.

3 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੩

ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਗਗਾ ਗੋਵਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਲਾਵੈ*।

Kalijougi Naanak Gur Gobind Gagaa Gobind Naamu Alaavai.

कलिजुगि नानक गुर गोबिंद गगा गोबिंद नामु अलावै ।

In kalijug, Gobind is in the form of Nanak and ‘G’ of Vahiguru gets Govind recited.

4 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੪

ਚਾਰੇ ਜਾਗੇ ਚਹੁ ਜੁਗੀ ਪੰਚਾਇਣ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਾਇ ਸਮਾਵੈ।

Chaaray Jaagay Chahu Jougee Panchaain Vichi Jaai Samaavai.

चारे जागे चहु जुगी पंचाइण विचि जाइ समावै ।

The recitations o f all the four ages subsume in Panchayan i.e. in the soul of the common man.

5 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੫

ਚਾਰੋ ਅਛਰ ਇਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜਪੁ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਜਪਾਵੈ*।

Chaaro Achhar Iku Kari Vaahaguroo Japu Mantr Japaavai.

चारो अछर इकु करि वाहगुरू जपु मंत्र जपावै ।

When joining four letters Vahiguru is remembered,

6 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੬

ਜਹਾਂ ਤੇ ਉਪਜਿਆ ਫਿਰਿ ਤਹਾਂ ਸਮਾਵੈ ॥੪੯॥੧॥

Jahaa Tay Oupajiaa Dhiri Tahaa Samaavai ॥49॥1॥

जहा ते उपजिआ फिरि तहा समावै ॥४९॥१॥

The jiv merges again in its origin.

7 ਵਾਰਾਂ ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ : ਵਾਰ ੧ ਪਉੜੀ ੪੯ ਪੰ. ੭

THis is totally out of Religious facts..

1. Origin of Underwears and Lingeries was from western Culture. If you ask you grand parents(who have seen olden times) and show them western underwear :) they will laugh an say this is not a proper under wear or Kachera.

2. if you check out the Rehat maryada of old Rishi Munis(as in Hindu Mythology), they were suppose to wear Langot(till knees or Feet) otherwise if they are from Sanyasi Mat(which believes I came Naked....I'll go Naked).

3. Culture of Hindustan was always restrictive becuase all great Saints and Mahapursh born in this land and they had guided us to Correct Living....... :) not like Western Culture who were more like Rakhshas sort of Nature

This Nihung singh is very much COrrect. SIKHi doesnot mean it started only in Kalyug when Akal Purakh came in the form of Guru Nanak Dev ji till Guru Granth Sahib ji and Gave us Rehat Maryada i.e. 5 Kakaars.

THis 5 Kakaars Maryada was there since Satyug, But we foolish people donot remember bcz of Maya Effect. Only Satguru remembers what He had done in Satyug, Treta,Dwapar, and Kalyug; and Satguru was/is always there to guide us to correct path.

We people think We are sikhs bcz Guru Nanak Dev ji Started this Dharm in Kalyug and then only we became sikh......But What we tend to forget is Guru Nanak Were there since The Beginning(Refer to Bahi GurDas ji diyan Vaaran----Chati Yug Gubaar Varte)).....and when I was in CHurasi period....Satguru took me out of Churasi and Guided me since then(from Satyug to Treta to Dwapar to Kalyug.... to Sikhi Marg(True way of Living).

Not to offend anyone Sikhism is not a religion(as advocated by Many Parcharaks these days)......Sikhi is True way of Living in this Matlok....and Sikhi is not successful until you are guided by True Guru.

This user is a prime example of what is wrong with "Sikhs" today. I'm not even going to elaborate why. Read bani and understand it don't add your own mirch masalay.

Many of our people sadly do not seem to have the ability to research our ithihaas, ask questions (i.e. why did so many Hindus so easily come into the Sikh fold in the past, but not today), nor understand the depth of poetry and story i.e. metaphor.

Sri Ram Chandar and Hanuman Ji were excellent examples of upholders of Dharma. Dharma is not a religion, nor does it belong to a religion. Nor did Sri Ram Chandar or Hanuman belong to 'Hindus'. In fact the word 'Hindu' does not appear anywhere in the Ramayan or other Puratan Dharmik Granths. Hindus, are the people who became adharmak, and lost India to scores of foreign invaders, this was Parmatmas will, for those who lost dharma. As we all know, Guru Gobind Singh had a particular fondness for reading Hanuman Natak and was said to have always carried it with him in their kamarkasa.

ਰਾਮਚੰਦੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਧਰਮਹੁ ਸਾਇਰ ਪਥਰ ਤਰਣਾ

Ram was a spotless person and due to his sense of dharma (responsibility), even the stones floated in ocean.

ਬੁਰਿਆਈਅਹੁ ਰਾਵਣ ਗਇਆ ਕਾਲਾ ਟਿਕਾ ਪਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਅ ਹਰਣਾ

On account of wickedness Ravan went away (was killed) with the stigma of stealing another’s wife.

ਰਾਮਾਇਣੁ ਜੁਗਿ ਜੁਗਿ ਅਟਲੁ ਸੇ ਉਧਰੇ ਜੋ ਆਏ ਸਰਣਾ

Ramayan (the story of Ram) is ever firm (in the mind of people) and whosoever seeks shelter (in it) goes across (the world ocean).

ਜਸ ਅਪਜਸ ਵਿਚਿ ਨਿਡਰ ਡਰਣਾ

Dharma-abiding people earn glory in the world and those who undertake evil adventures get infamy.(18)

Bhai Gurdaas Ji

Guru Gobind Singh in his own words came to this sansaar to restore Dharma. And in doing so, through his Khalsa, defeated the tyrants with Akaals Agyaa. The 'true' Khalsa is the upholder of Dharma in Kalyug. Sri Krishan Ji and Sri Ram Chandr were upholders in the previous yugs.

To say, that the dharmak heroes of previous yugs, gave satkaar and namaskaar to our Pita Ji and the Khalsa, and gifted their blessings to the continuation of the struggle against adharma, is in my opinion, in no way offensive or misguided, it is actually quite humbling. We have inherited Dharma, Dharma does not change it is aad, jugaad and hai bhi and will be ho si. The story the Nihang Baba tells is the kind of parchaar that the 'Hindu', would have listened to and understood as a message that his Guru today is Nanak Gobind Singh and that his 'pure' society, from which he will attain moksha (sangat, understanding correct living and fighting the true fight) is the Khalsa. In this way he was able to cut off his old and now corrupted ties.

How did the Avtars and Devtai present their gifts... so long as their name lives, and their story live, they live. When their story is forgotten, they will be forgotten. Our Pita Ji has given them a respected place in his Granth (the dharmak manual of the Singh Khalsa), hence through recitation of their heroic stories by the Singhs, they continue to live and inspire. There is a difference between doing pooja of them and simply understanding and accepting the fact they are historically’ part of our team’. The Nihangs sakhi goes one step further, and subtly suggests that they are ‘still part of our team’. They are the ones that cheer the Khalsa’s brave deeds, our fan club so to say. This needs to be understood poetically and metaphorically.

Pita Ji did actually get the Hanuman Natak translated into Gurmukhi, it was a standard educational text in Sikhs schools prior to the onset of the British Raj. These treasures which inspired fighting and righteous spirit, were removed with the British-isation of Sikh schooling. Pita Ji got everything of value including the Qu’ran, translated (this was translated to Braj).

We have no need to be ‘Hinduphobic’. Our Guru is the Shabd. Our Guru is the Khalsa Panth. Our Marg is Dharma, we (Khalsa) are the carriers of the Nishaan of Dharma (not so called Hindus). With the right parchaar, they will soon realise this and start joining the Khalsa in numerous numbers again. But this will be a 2 fold exercise, one will be correct parchaar, 2nd will be brave deeds, for people are more inclined to follow deeds rather than words.

We should also not so easily or readily dismiss our puratan traditions and sayings, just because they do not fit our present level of understanding. It is actually ok to say, I don’t get it, and leave it at that. We do not always have the answers, instead of concocting answers without any real khoj or vichaar, we should do ardaas to Gur-Pita to bless us with understanding and effort to attain it. They will never let you leave empty handed (but your hands need to be empty when the request is made).

“The Sikhs considered it a religious duty to learn Gurmukhi enough to be able to read the Sikh holy books. Those following an advanced course studied, among other things, Gurmukhi grammar and prosody (Ibid, 32). The child began his studies at the age of six. He, or she, then proceeded to learn the Gurmukhi alphabet of which Guru Angat himself wrote a primer. The primer, being written by such an eminent spiritual leader, was in itself religious. It was, however, the means to an even more religious end – to enable the child to read the Adi Granth, a sacred book of the Sikhs. After this other works, such as the Hanuman Natak, a Punjabi adaptation of a Hindi drama, were taught. Other subjects, such as elementary medicine and rhetoric, were also taught in Gurmukhi to Sikh children. According to Leitner, there were many people who knew Gurmukhi when he was collecting information for his report (1880s). Urdu, however, had been brought in and was being established slowly by the government (Leitner 1882: 35-37).”

THis is totally out of Religious facts..

1. Origin of Underwears and Lingeries was from western Culture. If you ask you grand parents(who have seen olden times) and show them western underwear :) they will laugh an say this is not a proper under wear or Kachera.

2. if you check out the Rehat maryada of old Rishi Munis(as in Hindu Mythology), they were suppose to wear Langot(till knees or Feet) otherwise if they are from Sanyasi Mat(which believes I came Naked....I'll go Naked).

3. Culture of Hindustan was always restrictive becuase all great Saints and Mahapursh born in this land and they had guided us to Correct Living....... :) not like Western Culture who were more like Rakhshas sort of Nature

Langot is not like Kachera. Langot is what wrestler in india wears. Red color. Check out wrestlers. You should listen to Dr. Sukhpreet Singh Udoke on RSS you will find the answer on youtube.

Miri Piri Guru Hargobind Sahib ji. In 1699 Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji made it mandatory for every Amritdhari to carry Kirpan/Sri Sahib. You cannot protect your religion without shastar.

ਨਾਪਾਕ ਪਾਕੁ ਕਰਿ ਹਦੂਰਿ ਹਦੀਸਾ ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ ॥

You should watch Dr. Sukhpreet Singh Udoke on Youtube he explain this tuk clearly and answers why Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji was called Uch da Peer.

All Guru had kept Kesh and in 1699 it was made compulsory for every sikh to be "Sabat sorrat,dastaar sira ਸਾਬਤ ਸੂਰਤਿ ਦਸਤਾਰ ਸਿਰਾ".

das does not think , that hanuman gave kachera

but Pitaji belived

aa langot pai taan bade firde ne, khalsa kachera pavega .

it symbolises same thing , when ram gave it to hanuman .

but Giani Inderjeet singh ji specifies . Sri Sahib is Chandi/Add shakti
and Ad shakti Gave this power to us of Kirpan. Adh Shakti is waheguru ji's Shakti

none , brahma, vishnu , shiv were able to win Adh Shakti . and Also Adh Shakti took Avtar in form of our mother. Mata Sahib Kaur ji !!

:)