Travelling To Punjab Via Chandigarh Airport?

Hammertime007

Probably wont be operative until 2050 lol. Mohali airport is a joke and a scheme to raise the land prices thru the roof. Guess who owns all land bear this so-called proposed airport.

Follow the pattern- 30 years ago, same headlines were made about amritsar airport and only few yrs they started operating as international airport and now many airlines left.

Delhi airport is much better because of so much air traffic and funds they get from govt and airlines.

What you say is probably true, let's hope for the best.

Delhi is National Capital, you won't get better facilities & connectivity at any other airport in India.

Moreso it was privatised way back take a look

http://www.gmrgroup.in/dial.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

Been told air india offices closing down in Amritsar jullamdar and Lundiharna everything moving to chandigarh. Also heard Amritsar airport soon only to be used for internal flights with international shifting to Chandigarh. Probably got year and few months left of amritsar airport for NRI flights

Even if this is not official makes sense as the kutay in charge would never want to give mahatab pooran to Amritsar.

Chandigarh airport cant cater big planes. It used to be a landing strip for indian air force.

Chandigarh airport is not big enough to cater international flights and still few decades back than amritsar airport. No international flights ever operated from chandigarh however lots of domestic flights operate in this airport.

Ameitsar airport is busy but not as busy as it used be with singapore airline and jet airways operating. There are many commercial products flight leave from this airport. Now this airport is busy with loads of domestic flights plus flights of full youth to middle east countries.

Amritsar airport landing charges for airline company is double and on top of that nobody travels business class- all punjabi vips chooses delhi airport.

The impact of the airport in Amritsar has helped the region a great deal and created a lot of jobs at the airport and associated industries. It also has cut journey times for travel considerably. I am glad it will be further expanded, don't understand why people want the airport in non Sikh areas hundresd of miles away from the Sikh centres. Chandigarh in unviable as it only 3hrs train ride from Delhi.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/More-airlines-to-start-operating-from-Amritsar/articleshow/46128612.cms

More airlines to start operating from Amritsar’

TNN | Feb 5, 2015, 09.28AM IST

AMRITSAR: More airlines are likely to start operations to Sri Guru Ram Das Ji International Airport in Amritsar. Besides, massive airport modernization plans are also on the cards to cater to bigger aircraft, said a top airport official.

Talking to newspersons on Wednesday, airport director Gagan Malik informed that talks were on with many airlines to start operations from the Holy City. He also informed that Amritsar airport was sanctioned Rs 100 crore for modernization to cater to bigger aircrafts used by international carriers.

Commenting on the rumours of diversion of international flights from Amritsar to the upcoming Chandigarh airport, Malik said, "This is sheer grapevine. The airport during the recent fog season extended a smooth platform to all air operators and passengers since minimum delays and diversions occurred here."

He further added that the airport was also declared as an "alternate diversion destination" for many flights bound to Delhi. "Since the flights were handled smoothly and safely, it indicates that Amritsar is fully equipped and cannot be ignored in any manner," said the director.

Gagan informed that efforts were being made to provide necessary assistance to the national carrier, Air India, for setting up their ticketing counters towards the city side of the terminal building. "Air India connects many international destinations from Amritsar. For the first time Air India has been allowed to cater to its passengers from the city side counters," he said.

I would like to see more direct flights. I remember flying with Jet Airways from Heathrow to Amritsar (took just over 7 hours). Within half hour after leaving the airport, I was in the pind. Very convenient. Within 12 hours, I arrived to my destination, door to door.

bro this what all UK Punjabis want. Lhr direct to Atq won't happen as airlines make majority of their money from business and first class customers. Punjabis dont do 1st or business class apart from a few artists. An airline can't afford to run a journey on pure economy. That's why we have to go with interconnecting flights.

I would like to see more direct flights. I remember flying with Jet Airways from Heathrow to Amritsar (took just over 7 hours). Within half hour after leaving the airport, I was in the pind. Very convenient. Within 12 hours, I arrived to my destination, door to door.

bro this what all UK Punjabis want. Lhr direct to Atq won't happen as airlines make majority of their money from business and first class customers. Punjabis dont do 1st or business class apart from a few artists. An airline can't afford to run a journey on pure economy. That's why we have to go with interconnecting flights.

Jet said the route to Amritsar was very profitable as the Airbus 330 had full economy and many wealthy Punjabis occupied the small number of business class seats. It was stopped by the powerful Delhi lobby. The current Air India flight to Amritsar from the Uk with a Delhi stop is their most profitable route.