Sikhs Tv Channels

Big_Tera

In my experience, the youngsters are following in the same footsteps as their elders; they just seem to be taking the longer and scenic route, when in actuality they'll end up arriving at the same destination as the oldies they hold with little regard.

Again, in my experience, Sikh youngsters - on the whole - resist challenges to their worldview or opinions on various matters that they've happened to learn or heard from... yep, the oldies who run things. These naujwaan refuse to concede there MAY be an alternative way of looking at a situation, or that, God forbid, they might be wrong. Does that sound familiar?

Coupled with a worringly anti-intellectual streak as if being even a bit educated denotes a weaker belief and less stringent adherence to Sikhi (although to be fair when our lot get their degrees and titles they are the first to sell out, lol), the only type of person who'll find himself rising to the summit in these religious environments is the tub-thumping demagogue for whom attributes such as conciliation, patience, and foresight are seen as symbols of pappuism.

I'm afraid, in modern day Sikhi at least, the young will continue to emulate the old. Just look at yesterday's threads where the various ding-dongs were occurring. Those debates were as old as the hills, yet the participants were supposedly of this hopeful new generation. What does that tell you? Sadly, any jewel who does shine and somehow find himself or herself ahead of the pack in these matters will be swamped by the trailing pack who desire conformity, control, and the safety of the old ways.

There is no room for originality in organised religion, not as a force for positivity, at least.

What I am saying is that we have an excellent platform to showcase what Sikhism is. Yes we can cater for the mainly Punjabi audience . But that doesnt mean we should not have any other shows. We could have a programe ie such as the basics of Sikhi. which describe what Sikhism is. This will be very informative for people who know nothing about Sikhism.

We need Sikh missionary shows.

we also need more translations of shabads. its not to diffiuclt to get some subtitles which would make a world of difference. people will actually be able to understand what is being said in the Kirtan.

What I am saying is that we have an excellent platform to showcase what Sikhism is. Yes we can cater for the mainly Punjabi audience . But that doesnt mean we should not have any other shows. We could have a programe ie such as the basics of Sikhi. which describe what Sikhism is. This will be very informative for people who know nothing about Sikhism.

We nee

we also need more translations of shabads. its not to diffiuclt to get some subtitles which would make a world of difference. people will actually be able to understand what is being said in the Kirtan.

I like the Basics of Sikhi idea, and the subtitle translations of shabads, brilliant idea.

I agree. In the evenings you see a line of old white bearded men all talking about the same thing they were talking about the day before and the day before that.

You get the Sikh Ethics programme, the odd Youth one but lasts a few weeks then they ''need a long deserved break'' :s

Sangat TV had a White Sikh who used to do Kattha but he's vanished.

Old backward know it all men always on the TV ranting about all tripe. Get them out of our Gurdwaras and let younger sit on Committees

you're talking about Harjinder Singh from hollllaaaand....lives in Saathall now, lovely guy, so relaxing in delivery... the message goes in without any pain ...deep thinker too. He knows a fair bit about the drinks and drugs life , lost his wife to drugs . He should be put into programs which talk about supporting sikhs who have gotten into that life and want to get out ...maybe phone in type where you have counsellors manning phones and the whole things linked into a full support and rehab network ...then I wouldn't mind the channel patting themselves on the back.

If they don't have people able to come in to do live slots , they should have best of web katha/kirtan/vichar reels played into a show advertising content online for newcomers , maybe trending video channels , that kind of thing.

Oh yes the channels should jointly buy up all the rights to Maskeen ji 's vids and katha tapes then edit in english translation subtitles , link in the different resources quoted by Maskeen ji possibly available online so peeps can read further.

Definitely because of the internet, and the ability to speak the English language.

Shouldn't let those Bazurgs off the hook too quickly though. The Gurdware have been selling books in Gurmukhi for years. So has the Sikh Missionary Society in Old Southall. I've tried to shake my grandparents out of their depressing tedium by convincing them to go and get some books. I've never succeeded.

veer why don't you do the sewa of buying for them a usb preloaded with audiobooks of Bhai Vir Singh ji and other mahan Gursikh vidhvans from www.sewastore.com and just show them how to click and listen , ehde naalon hor sauki rah hai nahin unless you make a reading date with them . five dollars for 29 books ....bilkul bargin ! I was finding it hard to get hold of some the titles in book form

you're talking about Harjinder Singh from hollllaaaand....lives in Saathall now, lovely guy, so relaxing in delivery... the message goes in without any pain ...deep thinker too. He knows a far bit about the drinks and drugs life , lost his wife to drugs . He should be put into programs which talk about supporting sikhs who have gotten into that life and want to get out ...maybe phone in type where you have counsellors manning phones and the whole things linked into a full support and rehab network ...then I wouldn't mind the channel patting themselves on the back.

If they don't have people able to come in to do live slots , they should have best of web katha/kirtan/vichar reels played into a show advertising content online for newcomers , maybe trending video channels , that kind of thing.

Oh yes the channels should jointly buy up all the rights to Maskeen ji 's vids and katha tapes then edit in english translation subtitles , link in the different resources quoted by Maskeen ji possibly available online so peeps can read further.

I dont think the channel even needs to buy the rights to Maskeen Ji's vids and kathas. i remember hearing that Maskeen Ji's family is rich, dont know if its true. his cds have been selling really good for years. i bet his family would love to have Maskeen Ji on tv if someone asks them. i have seen Maskeen Ji's katha on other tv channels.

Also i remember baba ranjit singh dhadrian wala told a tv station that they can air any of his diwans on there show. he has thousands of them

also sant baba waryam singh has thousands of diwans i bet they can air those for free, if they ask.

also the tv channel should air the 'basics of sikhi' videos for a english section of there program. im sure bhai jugraj singh doesnt mind also they can carry his live katha.

also giani thakur singh has done entire katha of guru granth sahib ji in simple punjabi, they should put the gurmukhi on screen so people can follow along. that should fill in alot if time

there are other people who have alot of kathas that tv channels can use but the channels have to ask to use them or we should email or call them with the ideas

I dont think the channel even needs to buy the rights to Maskeen Ji's vids and kathas. i remember hearing that Maskeen Ji's family is rich, dont know if its true. his cds have been selling really good for years. i bet his family would love to have Maskeen Ji on tv if someone asks them. i have seen Maskeen Ji's katha on other tv channels.

Also i remember baba ranjit singh dhadrian wala told a tv station that they can air any of his diwans on there show. he has thousands of them

also sant baba waryam singh has thousands of diwans i bet they can air those for free, if they ask.

also the tv channel should air the 'basics of sikhi' videos for a english section of there program. im sure bhai jugraj singh doesnt mind also they can carry his live katha.

also giani thakur singh has done entire katha of guru granth sahib ji in simple punjabi, they should put the gurmukhi on screen so people can follow along. that should fill in alot if time

there are other people who have alot of kathas that tv channels can use but the channels have to ask to use them or we should email or call them with the ideas

Then all we need are people to volunteer to do the sewa of editing on other language subtitling

How about collaboration with Jawaddi Kalan Taksal Gurmat Sangeet program and get them to film tanti saaz and jodi, pakwaj, tabla lessons and the channels could air programs taking place in India etc this would help those families who cannot afford raj academy lessons or are not near the other free classes teaching purataan kirtan techniques . Then those vids could be hosted for review online for worldwide sangat

I dont think the channel even needs to buy the rights to Maskeen Ji's vids and kathas. i remember hearing that Maskeen Ji's family is rich, dont know if its true. his cds have been selling really good for years.

Surely then, according to Gurbani, Maskeen is a hopeless sinner ?

From Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji:

• 'Cursed are the lives of those who read and write the Lord's Name to sell it' (page 1245 Guru Nanak dev ji salok)
  • 'The Name of the Lord alone is my wealth. I do not tie it up to hide it, nor do I sell it to make my living' (page 1157, Bhagat Kabir)

You people in the last few messages have failed in your attempts to find solutions as to why younger, western born Sikhs, are turning away from the Sikh tv channels. The problem right now is that mega rich old men with no actual spiritual substance (most of whom got rich through immoral means) control the tv content because their money buys them air time. But you guys are suggesting we replace them with different old and very rich men :nono:

• 'Cursed are the lives of those who read and write the Lord's Name to sell it' (page 1245 Guru Nanak dev ji salok)
  • 'The Name of the Lord alone is my wealth. I do not tie it up to hide it, nor do I sell it to make my living' (page 1157, Bhagat Kabir)

You people in the last few messages have failed in your attempts to find solutions as to why younger, western born Sikhs, are turning away from the Sikh tv channels. The problem right now is that mega rich old men with no actual spiritual substance (most of whom got rich through immoral means) control the tv content because their money buys them air time. But you guys are suggesting we replace them with different old and very rich men :nono:

AS far as Maskeen ji is concerned I do not think he sold out his sikhi ... just PTC and SGPC control a lot of the videos , gulshan kumar's firm recorded the CD sets of katha , but honestly it should be copyright free material anyhow .

we kind of have gotten off the topic in the last few posts. first of all we don't have any stastics that younger kids are not watching sikh tv, we are just assuming this. the best way to find out what kids want to watch on sikh tv is to ask them. maybe the sikh channels can get a small group of kids and ask them.

you mention,

" The problem right now is that mega rich old men with no actual spiritual substance mega rich old men with no actual spiritual substance (most of whom got rich through immoral means) "

Sorry Khalsa ji i have no way of knowing that.

you mentioned

" But you guys are suggesting we replace them with different old and very rich men"

no Khalsa Ji i was not suggesting that, what i was trying to say was maskeen ji, dhadrian wale, giani thakur singh and sant waryam singh ji's katha are all free, they have made it freely available to everyone on the internet, they even said to use there kathas on tv channels for free. they dont make any money when it airs on tv. what i said was the sikh tv channels should let these people know they will be airing there kathas on tv.