Sikh Parenting Issues

Big_Tera

Maybe alcohol is one issue. I have heard how alot of Kids say they dont respect their own fathers because they are alcoholics. There is also the factor that alcoholism leads to domestic violence in the home. The kids then feel alot of stress when they are at home seeing their parents argue.

Maybe we need more awareness about the dangers of alcohol and how it affects the family. Its become to acceptable that Punjabi fathers drink to much.

Our community is drinking far far less than it did in the 1970's,80's and 90's. When I was a kid, for example, there were always blind drunk people at weddings but I don't think I've even seen a legless blind drunk person at a wedding in the last 10 years or so. There's been a complete culture shift. The drinking seems very moderated and when it comes to weddings I think the biggest positive factor in that has been the way that husbands sit with their wives and kids as a family unit. This creates and fosters a very moderated outlook.

But, even when we did drink alot (and I too used to drink) our alcohol consumption was always far lower than the white British. The problem however, was that we as a race, like the native americans and aborigines, lack that certain enzyme that helps break down alcohol. Thus it had a far bigger effect on us compared to the white britons. Bigger effect of course means negative effect and of course you're right in the fact that it caused alot of family heartaches.

The problem however, was that we as a race, like the native americans and aborigines, lack that certain enzyme that helps break down alcohol. Thus it had a far bigger effect on us compared to the white britons.

I don't know about that, I've seen Panjabis drink enough whisky/bacardi to make a white person unconscious.

I think whilst whites like lagers/pints Panjabis prefer the hard stuff more (shots/peg sheg).

Our community is drinking far far less than it did in the 1970's,80's and 90's. When I was a kid, for example, there were always blind drunk people at weddings but I don't think I've even seen a legless blind drunk person at a wedding in the last 10 years or so. There's been a complete culture shift. The drinking seems very moderated and when it comes to weddings I think the biggest positive factor in that has been the way that husbands sit with their wives and kids as a family unit. This creates and fosters a very moderated outlook.

But, even when we did drink alot (and I too used to drink) our alcohol consumption was always far lower than the white British. The problem however, was that we as a race, like the native americans and aborigines, lack that certain enzyme that helps break down alcohol. Thus it had a far bigger effect on us compared to the white britons. Bigger effect of course means negative effect and of course you're right in the fact that it caused alot of family heartaches.

In the olden days,the booze used to be placed on the middle of the table with bottle drinking contests.

It is a far more civilised affair these days, I think having a bar where there is a control of alcohol plays a big factor.

But it is almost thirty years since that time and I like to think our community has evolved.

Sikhs aren't allowed to drink alcohol, are you sure this isn't a Hindu Punjabi or Muslim Punjabi issue?

You should listen to Bhangra music. Sikhs aren't allowed to drink alcohol but most people think they are. In fact it is a huge stereotype now, that all Sikhs do is Bhangra and drink. Patiala Peg and all that bs.

Drinking is a huge problem amoing punjabi sikhs. The youth around here love car baring which means chilling in your car packed with friends and just drinking. The main reasons o thonk are due to children seeing there fathers drink. Influence of bhangra and western influences. I hate it when i c old babey in plain view drinking at parks in broad daylight its not a good look.

Drinking is a huge problem amoing punjabi sikhs. The youth around here love car baring which means chilling in your car packed with friends and just drinking. The main reasons o thonk are due to children seeing there fathers drink. Influence of bhangra and western influences. I hate it when i c old babey in plain view drinking at parks in broad daylight its not a good look.

Where are you talking about?

Yes, I noticed that baba sitting in the park drinking a can of lager thing too. Often with a mate or two.

Guest Jacfsing2

You should listen to Bhangra music. Sikhs aren't allowed to drink alcohol but most people think they are. In fact it is a huge stereotype now, that all Sikhs do is Bhangra and drink. Patiala Peg and all that bs.

Bhangra music has other things than just drinking, it promotes Kaam and Caste.

and melodrama about "love"

The amount of songs about how some guy got blown off by a girl is reaching new levels of stupid.

It's part of old Muslim Panjabi culture that spread: Heer Ranjha, Sussi Punnu, Sohni Mehiwaal and all that jazz.

Apnay can be majorly dramatic, we all know this....

The caste thing is majorly backwards too. Big hindrance to progression.