Sikh - Muslim Debate On Bbc Asian Network Nihal

Hammertime007

I got to say: what you are saying seems REALLY reactionary and cowardly. This is no personal attack btw.

Hahaha, how mate? I just don't get it?

I'm just being passionate about what I said first i.e. that Sikhs should flat out say we are not Muslim. This other guy then makes it personal and petty i.e. 'get a life'.

He could have just easily disagreed with me without using the get a life part.

Cowardly? I don't get the use of that word in this context, maybe I'm thick I don't know.

Hahaha, how mate? I just don't get it?

I'm just being passionate about what I said first i.e. that Sikhs should flat out say we are not Muslim. This other guy then makes it personal and petty i.e. 'get a life'.

He could have just easily disagreed with me without using the get a life part.

Cowardly? I don't get the use of that word in this context, maybe I'm thick I don't know.

It's like you are so scared of being bullied by honkys about being a Muslim, you're running around waving your hands like:

"Please! Please don't hurt me! I'm not a Muslim!"

What do you want? Giant posters with specific details regarding who is Muslim and who is Sikh to guide ignorant twats? lol!

The way I see it. One way or another, we are going to get dragged into whatever bull5hit happens from whichever side. Better to be like 'Screw all of you', and mentally and physically prepare for all possible eventualities.

It's like you are so scared of being bullied by honkys about being a Muslim, you're running around waving your hands like:

"Please! Please don't hurt me! I'm not a Muslim!"

What do you want? Giant posters with specific details regarding who is Muslim and who is Sikh to guide ignorant twats? lol!

The way I see it. One way or another, we are going to get dragged into whatever bull5hit happens from whichever side. Better to be like 'Screw all of you', and mentally and physically prepare for all possible eventualities.

Wrong mate! I'm just concerned about fellow Sikhs (and even innocent Muslims) being targeted for mistaken identity, nothing more deeper than that.

I'm saying that when incidents do arise, and you get Sikhs coming on News etc to describe what happened, they always say we are not terrorists. Funnily, this actually makes them look like Muslims. I've seen this many a time. They should use the opportunity to directly state they are not Muslims (and add we are not saying attacks on innocent Muslims is justified) as this will prevent further attacks (not all, but many) on Sikhs in the future. Instead they say, oh we are not terrorist, it does nothing to educate people.

Wrong mate! I'm just concerned about fellow Sikhs (and even innocent Muslims) being targeted for mistaken identity, nothing more deeper than that.

I don't think anything we can do is going to prevent those that are determined to attack, attacking.

Look at the US for example, straight after 9/11 Bush himself had a widely publicised 'round table' meeting with a big bunch of dastaar wearing sardars. When Sodhi got killed it was all over the media too. There are darn organisations who are solely dedicated to educating people about Sikhs in the US and legally supporting those that are targeted. Yet, still attacks and abuse take place judging by the periodical photos of some cab-driver whose been battered by someone screaming 'Osama muthaf**ka!' or something like that.

I feel that ground realities mean that some of us are going to unavoidably be collateral damage. My experiences of endemic racism has taught me that blokes (and females!) being strong and holding their ground quickly gets that community the most recognition and respect. This other way you're suggesting is plainly ineffectual.

Our people have forget how to be men. lol

Get a life? I've got one thanks. If Sikhs like you carry on being so PC, you won't have a life for too much longer.

I have nothing against Muslims, hence me putting in the statement after, all Muslims aren't terrorists. I don't have to do that but I would if I was put in the position because I care about innocent Muslims being targeted as well.

Chill with the personal attacks!

oy vey ! I meant say that phrase....geddit ? then of course you give the second chance if they are determined, the third time you feed them their teeth.

I don't think anything we can do is going to prevent those that are determined to attack, attacking.

Look at the US for example, straight after 9/11 Bush himself had a widely publicised 'round table' meeting with a big bunch of dastaar wearing sardars. When Sodhi got killed it was all over the media too. There are darn organisations who are solely dedicated to educating people about Sikhs in the US and legally supporting those that are targeted. Yet, still attacks and abuse take place judging by the periodical photos of some cab-driver whose been battered by someone screaming 'Osama muthaf**ka!' or something like that.

I feel that ground realities mean that some of us are going to unavoidably be collateral damage. My experiences of endemic racism has taught me that blokes (and females!) being strong and holding their ground quickly gets that community the most recognition and respect. This other way you're suggesting is plainly ineffectual.

Our people have forget how to be men. lol

Lol, I'm not suggesting we use that as the only way. The fact that Sikhs are still getting attacked after Sikh Organisations trying to educate the masses doesn't mean it isn't working.

I don't think there is really much to debate here. I feel you're making a point out of nothing. I'm saying when Sikhs have done, do, and will, when the situation comes about (such as being attacked due to mistaken identity) they should use that opportunity to say they are Sikhs (make it clear rather than saying they are not terrorists). That's all I'm talking about.

The other point you mention I agree with i.e. being strong and holding their ground quickly gets that community the most recognition and respect. I'm all for that.

saw this online, quite relevant i thinks...

a message from Navdeep Kaur, California:

Whenever an act of terrorism is done by a US citizen whose background is from Middle East or South Asia, ALL BROWN PEOPLE HAVE TO APOLOGIZE. We have to be conscious of what we say and do in public spaces. We have to make sure that we give you your space even though we can feel the breath of the person standing behind us. We have to assimilate ourselves to the American culture by hiding our language, clothing, food, and cultural behavior but you can exotically and culturally [mis]appropriate our culture. We have to shave our beards and cut our unshorn hair but when you keep beards or man buns, it becomes a trend. We have to smile for you so you can feel more at ease, even if it makes us feel uncomfortable. We have to prove to you that we are not terrorists every time we fly home to celebrate the holidays with our families. We have to stay quiet whilst you make racist Islamophobic and xenophobic comments so that bystanders and media doesn't make it look like we are the ones causing a fuss. We have to make it our job to make you feel safe® and help you rid of your fears and bigotry.

Along with taking care of you, we have to answer to our mother's hourly calls whenever we step outside of the house. We have to call our fathers, who work at 7/11s, gas stations, or as truck drivers, couple of times a day to tell them to be alert and to stay safe. We have to watch our backs every time we enter a new neighborhood or walk past a new crowd of people.

WE HAVE TO LIVE IN FEAR BECAUSE OF YOUR FEAR. Your fear led to Isamaphobia. Your fear led to increased bullying and attacks on brown children in schools. Your fear led to increased attacks on women who wear hijabs and turbans. Your fear led to increased attacks on men who wear turbans and keep their beards unshorn. Your fear led to increased attacks on anyone with brown skin. Your fear led to us hiding our identities. AND IT IS EXHAUSTING.

When a white person commits an act of terrorism, it is an alone act by that one white person. White people do not have to collectively apologize to anyone. White people do not have to put in their time and energy, and risk their safety to make sure that everyone else feels safe. White people don't have other people checking their motives for being at a theater or a school.

AND THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD BE. FOR EVERYONE.

We are Americans. Our Middle Eastern, South Asian, Muslim, Sikh, brown skin backgrounds do not make us any less American. We do not owe you proof of our Americanism. We do not owe you anything. BUT YOU OWE US. Our safety. Our liberty. To be whom we are without apologizing. We do not want to apologize. We should not have to apologize. We will not apologize.

I am an American Khalistani Sikh. I do not apologize for who I am. I do not apologize for anyone's act of terrorism. And I definitely do not apologize for your fears and bigotry.