30 Day Going Sober Blog

DAY 11 - 12\01\2016

Today has been another routine day. Been at work although I didnt do any exercise when I came back from work today (still walked home). My chest is aching from yesterdays little workout so I thought I should give it a rest, I've had a few phone calls off friends today about my mates birthday who they were going out for. Turns out there not going out anymore and are going for a meal instead, I'm in 2 minds about going. Ive also had another friend ring up about his stag do but as Dally Singh said, I'm just going to take one day at a time, trying not to overthink it because thats when I slip up

Diet has been good again today, I've still got to do my food prep for tomorrow but will get that done tonight. Im aching a little today but I'm much more motivated in doing some sort of exercise and keeping active. Drinking has been crossing my mind a lot today because of all the phone calls Ive been getting about stag dos and going out, even though I say no and tell people I'm not drinking, theres a deeper side to me that thinks F it and just have a drink. Im trying to keep that side under control but its becoming harder. Its easy enough over the phone but I already have thoughts going round in my head about the stag dos and how were all going to have a massive session. These thoughts are worrying me, Im no way near in a position where I would say no to a drink. This recovery is going to take longer than I thought

If you're honest enough with yourself to see this, then you must be able to come to a rational conclusion that you are nowhere near ready to be in an environment of temptation.

Sehje sehje, don't worry, patience and remember that phrase, "sabar da phal mitta hunda".

The Pajis, Singh123456777 and Dally are giving good honsla, you can do it. When you fall, get up again.

Your Mann (mind) is playing games with you, but you have to sincerely be strong enough to not let it win. When the temptation thoughts start, ask Waheguru for help then, and prepare a method to use when that time arises. Such as start doing mool Mantar or listen to a shabad.

Sorry Paji I'm taking a bit longer the info I was going to get you, I'm a bit busy with my own things too, and my notes are all boxed up. But I will try my best to get back to you.

This is beautiful, i like this:

ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲਣੈ ਨੋ ਮਨੁ ਲੋਚਦਾ ਕਰਮਿ ਮਿਲਾਵਣਹਾਰੁ ॥

हरि मिलणै नो मनु लोचदा करमि मिलावणहारु ॥

Har milṇai no man locẖḏā karam milāvaṇhār.

To meet God, my mind yearns through His grace He is met.

SGGS Ang 134

?? Dhan Guru Arjan Dev ji

I need to learn how to have good times without the alcohol and a crowd which influences me into drugs

What is good is that you are seeing through all the fog and are having, good, valid moments of clarity.

Keep up with the training as much as your body can tolerate for the time being. Think about hobbies and things you'd like to do.

Getting rid of a bad habit works better - if you are busy - no time to indulge.

When I was getting rid of (my bad habit) - I have managed by trying to create a good habit. This good habit was trying to do sukhmani sahib dha path everyday. My friend started that too. We both felt a great change come over. We were more peaceful, happier and we were able to deal better with the people around us because it gave us great inner strength. You can try the same. Make it a part of your routine for instance to listen to Sukhmani sahib dha path everyday. It may take a while for you to start to feel the goodness and peace in it. When you are troubled or need strength to say no to your friends - just read Sukhmani - it works.

I also try to read sehaj path from my mobile and the meanings as well whenever I am feeling down or lost. It works great. I have other divine ideas and stories to focus on rather than wasting time doing chugliya. Reading sehaj path with the meanings is wonderful as it will give you lines which strengthen you and remind you of your purpose of coming to this earth. That is to become one with Waheguru. It points out to you about the bad effects too of your sins so that you can avoid doing wrong.

Your mum may feel bad - yes you did the right thing. Chugliya do not bring us anywhere. We may be doing lots of path but when our focus is centred on other people especially those who disturb our peace of mind then we need to talk it out to someone. If that someone may point it out to us that we are loosing our path - we will definitely start thinking about our actions and try to put them right. Occassionally people approach me and start gossiping about my in laws - which I just kindly point out to them - we don't benefit at all from gossiping about people who are irritating others do we ? And I change the topic.

My son who is only 6 asks me lots of questions and the meanings of Japji sahib as well. I am driven to read and find out more so that I can give him the correct answers. Guiding your parents is not bad. We occassionally encourage and remind ours to exercise and keep fit. They do listen and make amends. So your point got through in this case. No need to feel bad about it.

The only time I actually feel sukh is one of the few times I have sat down and done paath. I was thinking of setting myself another objective and that was to read SGGS from start to finish like the brother in the video did. I try to keep this blog honest as possible and I apologise if I offend anyone with what I'm about to say but I find it effort doing jap ji sahib and rehraas so maybe I should start off with reading a few pages of the SGGS after work and then with wahegurus kirpa it won't be such an effort for me

Can you read Gurmukhi by the way?

Naam is sweet. That is why we have been given the hukam to recite banis in the morning and night. That video was originally posted by someone else on the neighbouring topic on here - http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/78683-how-does-sikhi-apply-to-punjabi-culture/.

Reading it I just thought you may benefit from it. Message from Waheguru maybe.

If you dont know Gurmukhi, then you can listen to the numerous videos where bani has been recorded. Good luck.