Using a big kara to defend yourself in a fight.

khalsa mero roop

Are you not aware of the infanticide issue, and the continually decreasing numbers of females in relation to males due to the abortion of females? If so, that highlights a major issue of this problem- the fact that we are not making enough fuss about it, but rather just trying to brush it under the carpet and pretend it does not happen! If you would like, I could PM you some more info.

Are you not aware of the infanticide issue, and the continually decreasing numbers of females in relation to males due to the abortion of females? If so, that highlights a major issue of this problem- the fact that we are not making enough fuss about it, but rather just trying to brush it under the carpet and pretend it does not happen! If you would like, I could PM you some more info.

87851[/snapback]

I think Sikh Net may have archive info for this, the Akaal Takht was considering passing a Humkham to stop abortions in Sikhi coz of this huge gender in balance!!!

• 6 years later...

It is pretty disgusting to me that people are suggesting that the Kara is a weapon and it is ok to use it in fights. This is purely a myth created by the con-man Niddar Singh, which some members of our youth have selectively accepted, whilst dismissing everything else that Niddar Singh preaches. The Kara is 'hath karri' or a handcuff that attaches us to waheguru and reminds us of our duties and to prevent us from engaging in immoral or unrighteous acts.

Now I will say that if the circumstances are serious, then the Kara may be used as an IMPROVISED weapon if you can justify that level of force. By improvised I mean, that you would use the Kara in the same way that you might use a pen, keys, chair or half a broken brick. However you would have to justify using that level of force.

Frankly, most of these huge Kareh that young Singhs are wearing nowadays will put you in a coma and require plastic surgery to repair the kind of injuries that these things will cause. If you hit someone over the head with something like that and get caught... you WILL be getting done under GBH and getting locked up for a while. Also, the problem is that if too many Singhs start using the Kara in fights, it will basically get banned.... and then everyone will be crying! So try to use alternative things please.

The kind of circumstance where it may be justified to use a kara in self defence could be if their is a big disparity in force, ie if you are outnumbered, facing an armed opponent, you are disabled or you are much younger or weaker than your attacker. In those circumstances, yes, you could use a Karra, as an improvised weapon, but beware of what you are getting yourself into; I have seen someones ear virtually hanging off their head where someone hit them with a Kara.

Incidentally, the best improvised weapon ever is a snooker ball in a sock or anything heavy wrapped in material or something loose and elastic. Something similar you can do with a Kara is to loop it around a belt and swing it around. That is by far one of the most baddest and lethal things that I have ever seen on the street and I probably should not be telling you this :biggrin2:

It is fine to use Kara to defend yourself

When all other means fail etc

Thats the primary reason to wear it

Self-defesne is not the primary reason to wear a kara, but one of the reasons to wear a kara. There are many reason to why we wear the kara. The most important one is because Satguru made it our limb.

• 6 months later...

If you get caught on CCTV using your kara, you could go to jail for ABH/GBH. More importantly, if a few cases of incidents with karai reach the public attention (which won't require much effort with teh biased media we have), it could become a quick reality that big karai get banned in the UK, the same is true for Sri Sahibs.

We need to be intelligent in perserving our rehit and rvaaj, and allowing it to flourish without bringing negative attention to ourselves and thus risk loosing our special (deserved) priviledges in the UK.

Worse comes to worse, a kara can discreetly and highly effectively be used without even taking it off and leaving it concealed beneath your sleeve/clothing. That aside, it is good to understand intelligent fighting principles where you do not have to rely on strength, weapons or going to the ground - as has been mentioned above, having the prinicpled weapons knowledge to improvise and use any number of 'daily/normal' items as discrete yet dangerous aids for your defence. Real self defence is about 'habits', rather than 'theory'.

If anyone is interested in knowing more, or for those of you that are not already learning an intellgient martial art, feel free to PM me.