Today a lot of people will be celebrating Rakhi, watch this video on to find out the Sikh view on Rakhi!

I always find these things about Rakhri a bit misleading. 

The underlying factor is a lot of women of Sikh background will carry on with this regardless what is said in bani.

The noblest of thoughts are presented in the video but the reality is that very few women of Sikh background will give up Rakhri when you purchase a bit of thread which cost pennies to make and get back hundreds of pounds in return (depending on how many brothers one girl may have).

We often miss out the transactional nature of this event.

53 minutes ago, MahadrasSingh said:

Well some of our family has broken away from this tradition, hopefully mine will soon. 

Some..very few.

Rakhri was created by women and benefits women.

Men are largely indifferent to this, some may welcome it not because of some equality BS but because they don't have to fork out more money.

What's actually wrong with this? Why are we losing culture and tradition? No one is saying the piece of thread will protect you...what's the harm in using this day to appreciate your sister and taking out time.

I do this and will continue to do so. I'm ready for the keyboard warriors

21 hours ago, puzzled said:

i stopped getting rakhri tied a few years back, just didn't feel comfortable with the idea of brightly coloured, beaded strings around my wrist lol, even worse when someone asks you what it is the explanations sounds silly tbh     

Especially how uncomfortable it is, the beads pressing against your skin and causing itches and stuff, ughh

3 hours ago, singhunit said:

What's actually wrong with this? Why are we losing culture and tradition? No one is saying the piece of thread will protect you...what's the harm in using this day to appreciate your sister and taking out time.

I do this and will continue to do so. I'm ready for the keyboard warriors

We will be banning Birthdays and Anniversaries next.