Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Redoptics

Anyone know why when reciting Benti Chaupai some parts are missed out

Recommended Posts

Noticed this alot when people are reciting Benti Chaupai,  the last part of the pauri is usually missing and so is Ariil, Chaupai, Svaiyaa and Dhohraa.

Just wondering what is the reason here ? If anyone knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They end after (ਦੁਸਟ ਦੋਖ ਤੇ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਚਾਈ ॥੪੦੧॥) because after this, Guru Sahib ends the Benti and now thanks Akaal Purakh for completing the Granth (Charitropakyan).

I personally think its fine to read the last 2 Pauris (ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਹਮ ਪਰ ਜਗਮਾਤਾ ॥ and ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਸਿਧੁਜ ਜਬ ਭਏ ਦਯਾਲਾ ॥) and the Arril (ਸੁਨੈ ਗੁੰਗ ਜੋ ਯਾਹਿ ਸੁ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਾਵਈ ॥), but I do not see why the Choupai after that one (ਸੰਬਤ ਸਤ੍ਰਹ ਸਹਸ ਭਣਿਜੈ ॥) needs to read.

This choupai is literally just mentioning the date and location where the Granth was completed. It makes sense if someone was doing Paath of the whole Charitropakyan granth, but not when doing Benti Chaupai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

They end after (ਦੁਸਟ ਦੋਖ ਤੇ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਚਾਈ ॥੪੦੧॥) because after this, Guru Sahib ends the Benti and now thanks Akaal Purakh for completing the Granth (Charitropakyan).

I personally think its fine to read the last 2 Pauris (ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਹਮ ਪਰ ਜਗਮਾਤਾ ॥ and ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਸਿਧੁਜ ਜਬ ਭਏ ਦਯਾਲਾ ॥) and the Arril (ਸੁਨੈ ਗੁੰਗ ਜੋ ਯਾਹਿ ਸੁ ਰਸਨਾ ਪਾਵਈ ॥), but I do not see why the Choupai after that one (ਸੰਬਤ ਸਤ੍ਰਹ ਸਹਸ ਭਣਿਜੈ ॥) needs to read.

This choupai is literally just mentioning the date and location where the Granth was completed. It makes sense if someone was doing Paath of the whole Charitropakyan granth, but not when doing Benti Chaupai.

This is what is usually missing :-

Kripaa karee ham per jag mata. Granth karaa puran subh raataa. kilbikh sagal deh ko hartaa. Dustt dokhiyan ko chhai kartaa. (26)

The Mother of the world has been kind towards me and I have completed the book this auspicious night; The Lord is the destroyer of all the sins of the body and all the malicious and wicked persons.(26)

 Siree asDhuj jab bhae dayiaalaa. Pooran karaa granth tatkaalaa. Man baa(n)chhat phal paavai soee. Dookh na tisai biaapat koee. (27)

When Mahakal became kind, He immediately caused me to complete this book; He will obtain the fruit desired by the mind (who will read or listen to this book) and no suffering will occur to him.(27)

ARRIL

Sunai gung jo yaahe so rasnaa paavaee. Sunai moorr chit laaé chaturtaa aavaee. Dukh darad bhau nikatt naa tin nar ké rahai. Ho jo yaakee eik baar chaupe-ee ko kahé. (28)

The dumb, who will listen to it, will be blessed with the tongue to speak; the fool, who will listen to it attentively, will get wisdom; The suffering, pain and fear of the person will depart who recite Chaupai even once.(28)

CHAUPAI

Sambat satrh sahis bheNije. ardh sahis phun teen kaheje. Bhadrrav sudee ashtmee ravivaraa. Teer sat-drav granth sudaahraa. (29)

It was Bikrami Samvat 1753; This book was competed on the banks of Sutlej on Sunday, the eighth Sudi of the month of Bhaadro.

SVAIYAA

Paa(n)e gahe jab té tumré tab té ko’oo aa(n)kh taré nehee aanyo. Ram rahim Puran Quran anak kahai mat eek na maneyo. Simrat shaastr badh sabh bohu bhedh kahai ham eik na janyo. Siree asipaan kripaa tumree kar(i), mai na kahyo sabh tohé bakhaanyo. (30)

O God ! Since I have held your feet, none other has entered my vision; Ram, Rahim, Puranas, Quran and many others recite, but I don't believe in even one. The Simritis, Shastras and Vedas describe many mysteries, but I don't recognise even one of them; O Sword-wielder God! All this I write, with your blessings, is not what I know but what you have shown me.(30)

DOHRAA

Sagal duaar kau chhaad kai, gahe’o tuhaaro duaar. Baa(n)he gahe kee laaj as Gobind daas tuhaar.(31)

O Lord ! I have forsaken all other doors and chosen your door. O Govind, you have taken my arm; cared and protect your servant's honour.(31)

Just think Sikhs should ne singing/reading the entire Benti Chaupai, especially when Guru Gobind Singh Ji says you read this once, and your pain, suffering and fear will depart.

It also puts to bed Guru Gobind Singh Ji believed in hindu or any other deities. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 2:09 AM, Redoptics said:

This is what is usually missing :-

Kripaa karee ham per jag mata. Granth karaa puran subh raataa. kilbikh sagal deh ko hartaa. Dustt dokhiyan ko chhai kartaa. (26)

The Mother of the world has been kind towards me and I have completed the book this auspicious night; The Lord is the destroyer of all the sins of the body and all the malicious and wicked persons.(26)

 Siree asDhuj jab bhae dayiaalaa. Pooran karaa granth tatkaalaa. Man baa(n)chhat phal paavai soee. Dookh na tisai biaapat koee. (27)

When Mahakal became kind, He immediately caused me to complete this book; He will obtain the fruit desired by the mind (who will read or listen to this book) and no suffering will occur to him.(27)

ARRIL

Sunai gung jo yaahe so rasnaa paavaee. Sunai moorr chit laaé chaturtaa aavaee. Dukh darad bhau nikatt naa tin nar ké rahai. Ho jo yaakee eik baar chaupe-ee ko kahé. (28)

The dumb, who will listen to it, will be blessed with the tongue to speak; the fool, who will listen to it attentively, will get wisdom; The suffering, pain and fear of the person will depart who recite Chaupai even once.(28)

CHAUPAI

Sambat satrh sahis bheNije. ardh sahis phun teen kaheje. Bhadrrav sudee ashtmee ravivaraa. Teer sat-drav granth sudaahraa. (29)

It was Bikrami Samvat 1753; This book was competed on the banks of Sutlej on Sunday, the eighth Sudi of the month of Bhaadro.

SVAIYAA

Paa(n)e gahe jab té tumré tab té ko’oo aa(n)kh taré nehee aanyo. Ram rahim Puran Quran anak kahai mat eek na maneyo. Simrat shaastr badh sabh bohu bhedh kahai ham eik na janyo. Siree asipaan kripaa tumree kar(i), mai na kahyo sabh tohé bakhaanyo. (30)

O God ! Since I have held your feet, none other has entered my vision; Ram, Rahim, Puranas, Quran and many others recite, but I don't believe in even one. The Simritis, Shastras and Vedas describe many mysteries, but I don't recognise even one of them; O Sword-wielder God! All this I write, with your blessings, is not what I know but what you have shown me.(30)

DOHRAA

Sagal duaar kau chhaad kai, gahe’o tuhaaro duaar. Baa(n)he gahe kee laaj as Gobind daas tuhaar.(31)

O Lord ! I have forsaken all other doors and chosen your door. O Govind, you have taken my arm; cared and protect your servant's honour.(31)

Just think Sikhs should ne singing/reading the entire Benti Chaupai, especially when Guru Gobind Singh Ji says you read this once, and your pain, suffering and fear will depart.

It also puts to bed Guru Gobind Singh Ji believed in hindu or any other deities. 

That is what he said...... As we know that rehrass is combination of many banis, therefore, In rehrass, people only read ਬੇਨਤੀ and Benti Ends at "Dusht ........ Leyo bachaayi". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amit12 said:

That is what he said...... As we know that rehrass is combination of many banis, therefore, In rehrass, people only read ਬੇਨਤੀ and Benti Ends at "Dusht ........ Leyo bachaayi". 

I know but what i said was, there is a lot of information gone astray because of those missing parts, example where Guru Ji says he does not believe in Ram, Rahim, Puranas, Quran , only Vaheguru.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Redoptics said:

I know but what i said was, there is a lot of information gone astray because of those missing parts, example where Guru Ji says he does not believe in Ram, Rahim, Puranas, Quran , only Vaheguru.

Those are read in Rehraas, but not in morning Nitnem (unless one wants to, its their choice to read more Baani).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

Those are read in Rehraas, but not in morning Nitnem (unless one wants to, its their choice to read more Baani).

Ohhh ok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

Those are read in Rehraas, but not in morning Nitnem (unless one wants to, its their choice to read more Baani).

No savaiya and arril is in morning chaupai sahib too.

The real reason is because of different maryada of taksal and akj.

Taksal is abt tradition so they read how they were taught and their santhiya teachers were taught going back.

Akj is all abt what makes sense. So they end at kharag pauri because the bani ends their and the savaiye and arril and the other 2 pauris are from different banis and not chronilogical order.

The difference is called shoti and vaddi rehraas sahib. At akal takhat they read the shoti rehraas sahib and during sant jarnail singh times, when taksal took over akaal takhat, singhs tried to do full/vaddi rehraas but santji stopped them from enforcing their views. 

Also u can google it, theres been huge debates abt it in the past on this and akj forums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

No savaiya and arril is in morning chaupai sahib too.

The real reason is because of different maryada of taksal and akj.

Taksal is abt tradition so they read how they were taught and their santhiya teachers were taught going back.

Akj is all abt what makes sense. So they end at kharag pauri because the bani ends their and the savaiye and arril and the other 2 pauris are from different banis and not chronilogical order.

The difference is called shoti and vaddi rehraas sahib. At akal takhat they read the shoti rehraas sahib and during sant jarnail singh times, when taksal took over akaal takhat, singhs tried to do full/vaddi rehraas but santji stopped them from enforcing their views. 

Also u can google it, theres been huge debates abt it in the past on this and akj forums. 

From my experience, AKJ usually have a bit longer Rehraas than SGPC, but shorter than Taksal and Budha Dal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is the benti chaupai is still not completed properly even before getting to Arril. It's only a few lines including Kripa karee.. ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਹਮ ਪਰ ਜਗਮਾਤਾ .

Seems some kind of mischief which some colonial era sikhs believed in and added into SGPC rehit maryada! I am pretty sure some groups and jathebandis were allergic to shabad such as Jagmata in colonial times. 

 

This is why Benti Chaupai is abruptly ended, without finishing a few more lines. I don't see any respect in this, it is some weird kind of paranoid beadbi.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 10:44 AM, ipledgeblue said:

The fact is the benti chaupai is still not completed properly even before getting to Arril. It's only a few lines including Kripa karee.. ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਕਰੀ ਹਮ ਪਰ ਜਗਮਾਤਾ .

Seems some kind of mischief which some colonial era sikhs believed in and added into SGPC rehit maryada! I am pretty sure some groups and jathebandis were allergic to shabad such as Jagmata in colonial times. 

 

This is why Benti Chaupai is abruptly ended, without finishing a few more lines. I don't see any respect in this, it is some weird kind of paranoid beadbi.

Yeah I've started to read the entire Benti Chaupai, as it was attended,  can you imagine if some didn't finish the entire mool mantra,  all hell would break loose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read from a sundar gutka app on my phone and chaupai sahib goes up to

ਖੜਗ ਕੇਤ ਮੈਂ ਸ਼ਰਨਿ ਤਿਹਾਰੀ ॥ ਆਪ ਹਾਥ ਦੈ ਲੇਹੁ ਉਬਾਰੀ ॥
Lord of the Almighty Sword, provides a shield for my protection. With Your Hands you have saved me.
 

ਸਰਬ ਠੌਰ ਮੋ ਹੋਹੁ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਦੋਖ ਤੇ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਚਾਈ ॥੪੦੧॥
You bestow help on me at all places and rescue me from pain and the designs of my demons.401.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I read from a sundar gutka app on my phone and chaupai sahib goes up to

ਖੜਗ ਕੇਤ ਮੈਂ ਸ਼ਰਨਿ ਤਿਹਾਰੀ ॥ ਆਪ ਹਾਥ ਦੈ ਲੇਹੁ ਉਬਾਰੀ ॥
Lord of the Almighty Sword, provides a shield for my protection. With Your Hands you have saved me.
 

ਸਰਬ ਠੌਰ ਮੋ ਹੋਹੁ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ ਦੁਸ਼ਟ ਦੋਖ ਤੇ ਲੇਹੁ ਬਚਾਈ ॥੪੦੧॥
You bestow help on me at all places and rescue me from pain and the designs of my demons.401.

Just downloaded that app you must have your settings as the short version. Turn on extra long version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Just downloaded that app you must have your settings as the short version. Turn on extra long version.

This one ?

 

246x0w.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, puzzled said:

This one ?

 

246x0w.jpg

Yup, go to the cog  top right hand corner for settings. Under Bani options you can change the length.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • We're drawn to honest physical labour despite being devious and calculating in our own social groups, yet if we were truly intelligent we would bypass the blue collar grafting, and want to head the various trucking unions and dependent organisations in white collar environments. In our case, every successive generation of immigrants start at the bottom instead of building on the efforts and sacrifices of the previous generations. There's a mentality of, "I suffered when I first came here, so why shouldn't they?" This creates a culture and ethic that remains firmly rooted in the same social dynamic with every generation. An intelligent community uplifts its own by creating opportunities for advancement. We seem to relish seeing our own facing adversity and having to struggle. Fundamentally, that's why we'll never achieve anything of note.
    • Politics, cricket and Bollywood is a form of escapism in India 
    • I think it comes down to the fact that most Indians are simple minded and rural. Most of them have nothing interesting going on in their lives, many living miserable wretched lives.  That's why Politics, Bollywood and Cricket are so big in that country. These three things give them a purpose in their empty rural lives, like a fantasy world. When India wins a cricket match, every Indian, including slum dwellers feel that they've just won something. Its the same with politics. I've been India during the voting season, and they go crazy as if the results of the elections are a personal family dispute. Telling the simple minded Hindu who walks to the fields to take a dump, that BJP will change India, save it from Islam and make Pakistan a part of India by 2025 and that his vote matters, gives the Hindu a purpose! it makes him feel he is a part of something. Its the same with Bollywood, it gives them a purpose, takes them away from miserable India and into a fantasy world with seductive women, flying cars, superheroes saving the damsel in distress. When Aishwarya Rai put on weight after having a baby, she was supposed to attend the Cannes film festival in southern France and Indians were saying how she's ruing India's image with her big size, letting India down on the world stage etc   It just shows you how empty these peoples lives must be!  Surely India has bigger things to worry about than an overweight middle aged actress attending a film festival in France?  But no!  Bollywood gives these people a purpose in life that's why they take it so personally. Remember whenever the Indian cricket team used lose a match, Indians used start throwing bricks through their bungalows lol ? Indians used feel that they personally lost something in life, like a deep wound. Its because they have nothing going in their miserable lives!  Its the same with politics. Its gives them a purpose, something to look forward to, they feel like they are a part of the change. Telling a Hindu that India and Hinduism is under threat and that his support matters, gives the Hindu a purpose.  That's why the Indian government will always keep its population the way it is, they are really easy to control and that's just where the government wants them to be.   
    • Depends on what type of beings they are, and how you define 'advanced.'
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use