Sign in to follow this  
Premi5

Moving to Canada

On 6/3/2020 at 3:03 AM, Premi5 said:

Dear Sangat

I am thinking of moving to Canada - specifically around Vancouver area. There are job opportunities for me

I would like to be near the city, but not living in it. Up to 25 miles

I am aware that there is large Sikh community which will be helpful.

What are good areas to live, but which are not ghettoised ? I am only aware of Surrey which seems to be a nice area. Mission apparently not a great place

Anyone made the move? What about getting housing, food etc

idk bout housing food ect. but abbotsford is like a more quieter surrey nd theres 4 gurudwaras in our small city. also, one of the oldest gurudwaras of canada is in abbotsford

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
12 hours ago, KhoonKaBadlaKhoon2 said:

People are not jumping over each other to get out of Surrey. Lots of migration within Surrey. The city is probably the fastest growing in the Vancouver region. South Surrey is nice, but it is not the only nice area in the city. If you want to move to Vancouver area, just be prepared for the expensive cost. 

Yeah I'm not saying I personally agree with the wider perception of Surrey but you have to agree that living in Surrey does carry a certain stigma......rightly or wrongly.  As my extended family are nearly all in Vancouver they go to great lengths to remind people that they live in Vancouver and NOT surrey. By and large, Surrey is great for freshies from India and people who cannot afford to live in Vancouver. You will find people with money there and you will find people with education there. But you will not find people with money, education AND ambition there. 

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/alex-sangha/message-to-surrey-bashers_b_6576178.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAsBzrN1wofF1l1FGC4aHyJWwEjRbODOz3PERAUTX7DzE8QyBj5jkOe04uDjt1diI7-nPT0zqw5mnE3fnGU56WmjVdHTp9g5o_YW-nEBlBdHcde2wC9UsbcVIkcenpbynSnDlLEH8ol1Xjp4ac4rjCqypikhUNFKwg0iG5WbCXLS

but abbotsford is like a more quieter surrey nd theres 4 gurudwaras in our small city. also, one of the oldest gurudwaras of canada is in abbotsford

Personally I love Abbortsford but man, how's he going to commute to Vancouver for work everyday ? Seriously, I'm genuinely interested. It would be considered far in UK terms but I suppose in Canadian terms it's actually quite local. Do people generally do that commute for work ?

Guest Surrey-Man32
11 hours ago, akaaliKhalsa1699 said:

I was born and bred in Surrey and I can guarantee you this much that Surrey is the last place anyone should emigrate to, especially from the Uk. I left Surrey in 1990 and never went back. UK is much nicer than Canada in every way. The British are lot more sophisticated, mannerful, mind their Ps and Qs, know their table and manners, are very refined generally with good bedside manner. They are generally easy to get on with, are very aware of other people’s culture and are more willing to accept you even as you are. The English are the best and everyone thinks very highly of them all over the world. 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
6 hours ago, Guest Surrey-Man32 said:

I was born and bred in Surrey and I can guarantee you this much that Surrey is the last place anyone should emigrate to, especially from the Uk. I left Surrey in 1990 and never went back. UK is much nicer than Canada in every way. The British are lot more sophisticated, mannerful, mind their Ps and Qs, know their table and manners, are very refined generally with good bedside manner. They are generally easy to get on with, are very aware of other people’s culture and are more willing to accept you even as you are. The English are the best and everyone thinks very highly of them all over the world. 

You know...I've often wondered about the IQ of Mods here on this website. I mean, when they see a message like the one above from a 'guest' I'd love to know the computation that went on in their brains in which they came to the conclusion that it was a genuine message from a genuine person and not a spam message designed to disrupt the thread 😲

On 6/9/2020 at 8:36 AM, Guest Surrey-Man32 said:

I’ve never been to uk, but ur point is very tru. 

Guest jigsaw_puzzled-singh
14 minutes ago, akaaliKhalsa1699 said:

I’ve never been to uk, but ur point is very tru. 

Probably best you never go to the UK then because you'll be in a for a terrible disappointment if you think any of that is true. Probably best you stay in Canada.....that way, the Downton Abbey image of the UK can on live as pure as snow in your mind.