Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Balait_da_Sher

URGENT: burials on proposed gurdwara Sahib property

Recommended Posts

What is sangats opinion on graves (no headstones) on the gurdwara premises.  Committee is considering buying a church and it has some burials.

I personally don't think it is a big deal as long as we are respectful. The burials are out of the way and could be turned into flowerbeds etc with a hedge/fence around them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Balait_da_Sher said:

What is sangats opinion on graves (no headstones) on the gurdwara premises.  Committee is considering buying a church and it has some burials.

I personally don't think it is a big deal as long as we are respectful. The burials are out of the way and could be turned into flowerbeds etc with a hedge/fence around them.

it is anti-sikh behaviour because we are supposed to  accept hukham and move on with our lives  not fixated on the mass of cells that our loved ones once lived in . We sikhs show our respects by honouring the lessons our elders gave us and try to make our sikhi progress . We are not christians or muslims or Jewish who visit and cry over their dead every time they visit. I know in some muslim countries our bretheren have had to struggle to cremate their dead , remember the Kabul shooting victims sanskar was bombed , Guru ji taught us to be practical and keep land for the living to feed and house them. We did not give daswand to buy land for burying our dead but to do parchaar, pay for visitors' care , langar and teaching kirtan .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think burying is a waste of precious land. If all 6 billion people in the world were buried it would take up a huge amount of space. In fact 107 billion people have lived in human history! Now imagine how much space it would involve to bury them all.

The Christians and Muslims do it because they think they their body will be resurrected on their so called Judgement day but what happens if a Christian or Muslim is vaporised by a bomb or explosion?

What then happens to them on Judgement day?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

it is anti-sikh behaviour because we are supposed to  accept hukham and move on with our lives  not fixated on the mass of cells that our loved ones once lived in . We sikhs show our respects by honouring the lessons our elders gave us and try to make our sikhi progress . We are not christians or muslims or Jewish who visit and cry over their dead every time they visit. I know in some muslim countries our bretheren have had to struggle to cremate their dead , remember the Kabul shooting victims sanskar was bombed , Guru ji taught us to be practical and keep land for the living to feed and house them. We did not give daswand to buy land for burying our dead but to do parchaar, pay for visitors' care , langar and teaching kirtan .

Please read the post again.  You are completely off topic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChardikalaUK said:

I think burying is a waste of precious land. If all 6 billion people in the world were buried it would take up a huge amount of space. In fact 107 billion people have lived in human history! Now imagine how much space it would involve to bury them all.

The Christians and Muslims do it because they think they their body will be resurrected on their so called Judgement day but what happens if a Christian or Muslim is vaporised by a bomb or explosion?

What then happens to them on Judgement day?

You also are off topic.  Please read the post again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

Please read the post again.  You are completely off topic.  

🤭

I thought i was the only one who was thinking that, woah ppl going off topic.

I think buying a Church site is fine. No ones asking anyone to change their practices and we dont need to go digging up anything because its 'not sikhi'. I know of a gurdwara where they created a car park on some land and it had some graves, part of the conditions were to retain the area where the graves were. It also had some headstones. So they just segregated that area and kept it as a lawn etc. No one was too fussed as it doesnt mean the Gurdwara is now burying lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Balait_da_Sher said:

What is sangats opinion on graves (no headstones) on the gurdwara premises.  Committee is considering buying a church and it has some burials.

I personally don't think it is a big deal as long as we are respectful. The burials are out of the way and could be turned into flowerbeds etc with a hedge/fence around them.

my view- the Land where we are sitting or living now, who knows what was there 200 years back. so there's no issue buying that church unless people are really superstitious. Rotation cycle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we need to WASTE sangat's money on enlarging GUrdwarey , better to spend money on parchaar and homeless support , look at all purataan gurdwarey small, humble places where people went to learn not to eat/show off riches

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Why do we need to WASTE sangat's money on enlarging GUrdwarey , better to spend money on parchaar and homeless support , look at all purataan gurdwarey small, humble places where people went to learn not to eat/show off riches

Its a vanity thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Its a vanity thing 

exactly , our youth and women are crying out for true gurmat sikhiya in english and other languages , santhiya classes, katha vichar and free tanti saaz lessons  not huge halls which only fill on the wedding programs . If you want to invest in structure , improve kitchen safety and put first responder training for sangat  so that youth and children can return to pangat sewa

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Balait_da_Sher said:

What is sangats opinion on graves (no headstones) on the gurdwara premises.  Committee is considering buying a church and it has some burials.

I personally don't think it is a big deal as long as we are respectful. The burials are out of the way and could be turned into flowerbeds etc with a hedge/fence around them.

The car park of Singh Sabha Gurdwara in Newcastle was built on a graveyard, it belonged to an old Congregational Church that had been demolished in the 1960's i think but the graveyard hadn't been used for nearly 150 years, the remaining headstones were moved to a different site.

If it's an issue they could apply to have the graves exhumed and moved to a different site, i like the idea of using old churches from a historical and architectural point of view but we have way too many buildings and not enough sangat, we have a new one/replacement being built where i live, it been delayed continuously because they keep on running out of money, they've secured funding now but the whole thing's delayed because of the pandemic, the only sangat at the current Gurdwara are on a Sunday and even that's minimal, god knows what they're going to do with a building that big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use