21 hours ago, Dsinghd said:

Is it okay to miss your Nitnem whilst on a journey?

Never. There is no excuse. I know cases where people have gone back to maharaj because they a have made a bujjar kurheat. They’re asked how many nitnem they have missed. The panj Singh tell them that they must recite all missed nitnem then come back. Then they’ll be given amrit. I know a Singh who had to recite 30 nitnem! He missed a whole month!
I don’t think you did it on purpose, so just read 2 nitnems the next time. It’s important you get nitnem kant (memorised) then you will never miss it. 

headphones, and just listen to nitnem on your phone, or as suggested above on mp3 player.

Anyway life is a journey, so no need to exclude nitnem

6 hours ago, Koi said:

Headphones and mp3. That will help

I think smartphone is more convenient these days, carrying an extra mp3 is inconvenient unless phone battery is bad.

It’s so important we get nitnem kanth though. Listening is alright but you don’t want to have to rely on your phone for something as important as nitnem. What if your phone dies? It’s not hard to get nitnem baniyan memorised. I think all of us have chaupai sahib kanth, swvaiye sahib is also easy as its very small. Anand sahib is also fairly easy and japji saib is too, you just need to learn the order of pauris really, you’ll find many of us already know most of them. The problem for most people is jaap sahib. 

it took me half of a Sunday to get nitnem memorised completely. A singh told me to recite each pauri for every bani 10 times then recite the whole bani twice. This method helps so much. 

When bani is kanth you can close your eyes and focus more on bani. For those of us who are naam abhyaasi, we can recite bani is surti (in the mind without moving mouth) this will increase dhyaan by 10 times as we need to focus more and the mind will stop wondering. Nitnem in surti is so advantageous, it will increase our dhyaan in simran and our focus in many other things. Many gursikhs advise us to do this. Also, you’ll find in surti, nitnem gets completed much faster, with more concentration, win win lol. This means we have more time at amritvela to do more naam simran or read more bani. So many benefits!!!!

Maharaj knows best. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, 1Anonymous1 said:

It’s so important we get nitnem kanth though. Listening is alright but you don’t want to have to rely on your phone for something as important as nitnem. What if your phone dies? It’s not hard to get nitnem baniyan memorised.

However I do think that listening is also a good aid for memorising bani as well, such as in work situations, or trips and journeys.

Also some people have longer nitnem, they do paat of Shabad Hazare and Shabad Hazare patshahi 10, Chaupai Sahib and even Benti Chaupai length may differ. they may also read an additional Swaiye staring Deenan Ki Pratipal, and some sampradaiye also read Chandi Di Vaar and Uggardanti as part of nitnem as well! Also for evening nitnem they may read very long Chaupai Sahib for Sodar Rehras as well as long Aarti Aarta afterwards, and for night Rakhiya deh Shabad along with Keertan Sohila.

On 12/20/2020 at 9:55 AM, Dsinghd said:

I always do Nitnem but i was talking about Aeroplanes. Next time i know to do it whilst flying.

I agree if missed out then do double next day.

OK, so as far as "normal" journeys (like driving from Los Angeles to San Diego or something), there's no reason you should have to miss your Nitnem.

With long airplane journeys, especially where you're crossing the international date line and multiple time zones, it might be unclear when a "new day" starts for the purposes of doing Nitnem. 

So as long as you make a bona fide effort to do Nitnem, I don't think you can said to have "missed" your Nitnem.

But don't go the entire journey of 22-24 hours (plus holdovers) and fail to do Nitnem just because you're "on a journey." when you get a chance, just wash up and do paath.

• Like 2