Why are Sikh women always blamed for converting when Sikh men also do it

Guest Guest121

• 2 months later...

This thread is ridiculous. No one should be converting. The truth is that Sikh women marry out MORE. That’s the truth. Especially to goreh. Then they try living a goreh lifestyle and when it backfires they go back home crying to their parents. Sikh men (especially religious Sikh men) are less likely to marry out. If you really want a foreign spouse so bad make them grow fond of Sikhi.

6 minutes ago, Jassu said:

This thread is ridiculous. No one should be converting. The truth is that Sikh women marry out MORE. That’s the truth. Especially to goreh. Then they try living a goreh lifestyle and when it backfires they go back home crying to their parents. Sikh men (especially religious Sikh men) are less likely to marry out. If you really want a foreign spouse so bad make them grow fond of Sikhi.

Sharnjit Singh khinda

The Singh family from London, UK. Source: Supplied

The story of a cross-cultural marriage between a UK-based Sikh and a Lithuanian woman has gone viral in the Punjabi diaspora all over the world.

UPDATEDUPDATED 27/10/2018
BY PREETINDER GREWAL
  • Share on Facebook
  •  
  • Share on Twitter
A UK-based family has become an internet sensation after their love story was shared on Facebook earlier this month.

The story with the family’s photograph has since been shared over 1800 times. 

The original Facebook post was shared by Harpreet Singh Jawanda who was keen to tell the ‘heart-warming love-at-first-sight story’.

This post was about the family of Sharanjit Singh Khinda, a London-based Sikh who is married to a Lithuanian woman Donata [Kaur]. They have two children, Anand and Amrit. 

Sharnjit Singh khinda
The Singh family at a community gathering in London, UK.
Supplied

Love, at first sight, may seem not so common, but this couple is among the few who claim that's exactly what happened when they met first.

Mr Singh told SBS Punjabi that he is not a ‘romantic type’ but somehow ‘love’ did happen when he met his wife Donata for the first time.

“When we look back, we realise the importance of that one moment that changed our lives for good,” said Mr Singh.

“Donata is such a lovely person! I can’t praise her enough. She has surprised our family and friends by fully adopting our Sikh values and the Punjabi culture.” 

Sharanjit Singh Khinda
The Singh family during their vacation in Punjab, India.
Supplied

Mr Singh says that he also tried to show a similar commitment towards the Lithuanian culture.

“I am also trying but it’s nothing compared to her commitment towards our culture and customs. 

Singh family also runs a Facebook page ‘Amrit, Anand and family’ which aims to spread the message of love and peace.

While talking specifically about the use of social media, Mr Singh says that it’s important that people use it to spread positive thoughts and happiness.

“Our kids are learning a blend of Punjabi and Lithuanian culture. Sharing their videos on social media is just a way of expressing our love to our mother-tongue, mother nature and the values that we’d had from our elders,” adds Mr Singh.

Sharanjit is deeply influenced by the teaching and philosophy of Sikh religion.

“There’s a great saying that religion is like a medicine. You need to ingest it to see its effect.  This is why we need to teach kids to be noble, kind-hearted and as helping as possible,” he says. 

Originally from Kapurthala in Punjab, India, Mr Singh migrated to UK 14 years ago.

Follow SBS Punjabi on Facebook and Twitter

Also Read

https://www.sbs.com.au/language/english/a-vegemite-paratha-is-this-punjabi-australian-couple-s-favourite-dish

A Vegemite Paratha is this Punjabi-Australian couple's favourite dish

The gIll family

Mecca Gill, Gursehajbir Singh Gill and Sherbir Singh Gill Source: Supplied

The Gill family has become quite a star on social media and their pictures often garner hundreds of likes within hours of being posted.

UPDATEDUPDATED 05/01/2019
BY AVNEET ARORA
  • Share on Facebook
  •  
  • Share on Twitter

Sherbir Singh Gill and Mecca Gill have been married for over three years, but it most certainly was not love at first sight.

31-year-old Gill who arrived in Australia from the northern state of Punjab in the year 2014, on a student visa, met his future wife "by chance" when he moved into a shared accommodation in Melbourne where she was staying with another friend.

“For the first few months, we literally didn’t speak to each other at all despite living in adjoining rooms,” Mr Gill told SBS Punjabi.

“I would stay locked up in my room and do my path, while Mecca would be out there chilling with her friends.”

gill family
A love story which most certainly was 'not' love at first sight
Supplied

So what changed?

“What really broke the ice was a cup of tea that I would make for everyone in the house every morning before heading out to college.”

“So one day, she stopped and asked me, “Why do you go to such lengths when you know that I don’t drink tea at all?””

“I told her that our Guru Nanak Dev ji taught us to ‘share what you have’ and that’s exactly what I follow,” recalled Mr Gill as what he told Mecca at that time.

And that is all it took Mr Gill to melt Mecca’s heart but the picture was far from complete. The climax came when he decided to introduce her to his parents.

“I just took her to a beach, facetimed my parents, flipped the camera towards Mecca and told them ‘she is the one’.”

"All hell broke loose at my family home in Amritsar", reminisced Mr Gill who said that his parents were initially "shocked" but it took a little “sister meddling” to pacify them.

“It was my younger sister Preet who came to our rescue. And gradually my parents softened to Mecca and accepted our match, but not without conditions.”

“They asked us to solemnize the marriage according to the Sikh tradition before continuing to stay under one roof,” Mr Gill told.

gill family
The Gills have been happily married for over three years
Supplied

Now Sherbir and Mecca, who have recently shifted to Perth are “happily” married and proud parents to their one-year-old boy, Gursehajbir Singh Gill who is learning to fold hands and say Sat Sri Akal.

“He will get there,” hopes Mr Gill who feels he has lucked out to get a partner like Mecca who is trying hard to endorse his way of life.

“I feel so lucky. Mecca is endorsing Sikhism, she is learning Punjabi, my son has started to wear a patka, what more can you ask from life,” said an emotional Mr Gill.

When we asked Mrs Gill how life has changed after marriage, pat came the answer-“life is beautiful,” she said with a smile worth millions.

There are some undeniable differences, the couple agreed, but they have found their own way to bridge the gaps, with love.

“For instance, he likes parathas, I like Vegemite, so we have invented the ‘Vegemite parathas’,” said the proud Mrs Gill who claims to have mastered the art of Punjabi cooking while Mr Singh does what Punjabis are best at-no points for guessing, “eating.”

“I was a healthy 83 kgs when we got married, now I am lurking somewhere at a 114 kgs,” shared Mr Gill who is almost “regretting” the fact that Mecca has discovered the secret passage to his heart is indeed via the stomach.

The ‘happy family’ has become quite a star on social media and their pictures often garner hundreds of likes within hours of being posted.                         

The family of three is now looking forward to visiting Punjab, later this year to reunite with the extended Gill clan and visit the Golden Temple in Amritsar.

But until that time, the couple is hoping their son learns to say a little more than “nahiiii” (no) in Punjabi which happens to have become his favourite word, of late.

“There’s only one Punjabi word that Sehaj has picked up and that is ‘nahiiii’ (no) or if I say “aaja put” (come here, son) he understands that this means papa is calling me,” said Mr Gill.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/uk-airport-security-officer-and-punjab-masons-son-get-knotty-247951-2015-04-10

UK airport security officer and Punjab mason's son get married

The British airport security officer met Gagandeep, a mason's son who lives in Amritsar's New Gurnam Nagar area, on the social networking site a year ago

ADVERTISEMENT
default-user.png
Manjeet Sehgal
Chandigarh
April 10, 2015
UPDATED: April 10, 2015 11:59 IST

us-2-650_041015065445.jpgGagandeep Singh with his wife Sonia Mariekeats in Punjab.
When in love, the world seems so right for all. The adage "everything is fair in love and war" proved right yet again when British airport security officer Sonia Mariekeats found her love Gagandeep Singh on Facebook. Gagandeep (24) is an engineering diploma holder and a resident of Punjab's Amritsar district. Mariekeats, who is in her thirties, belongs to Southall - a suburban district of west London.

The British airport security officer met Gagandeep, a mason's son who lives in Amritsar's New Gurnam Nagar area, on the social networking site a year ago. Mariekeats, who has been visiting the Southhall gurdwara ever since she turned 12 years old, wanted to be a Sikh and had visited India two years ago to pay obeisance at the Golden Temple. She befriended Gagandeep, who is part of a religious group that promotes Sikhism, on Facebook and became very close to him.

"I told him that I would first adopt Sikhism and then marry him. I reached Amritsar on March 26 and adopted Sikhism by drinking holy water, 'Amrit', at the Golden Temple. We got married on April 3. I am so happy and don't have words to explain it," Mariekeats told MAIL TODAY. Sikhism, according to Mariekeats, teaches humanity and is modern as compared to other religions. "We are united by Sikhism. My interest in Sikhism brought me to India. My childhood dream to marry a Sikh came true when Gagandeep accepted my proposal," she said.

Gagandeep's mother Sukhbir Kaur, meanwhile, is overjoyed that her "gori bahu" is learning the sacred verses of Sikhism. "She may not be a Sikh by birth, but her interest in the religion brought her to Amritsar. She recites hymns and will be able to adapt to the Sikh culture soon," Kaur said.

Mariekeats and Gagandeep had never met in person before she came to Amritsar. She said 'Sat Shri Akal' when the couple first met at the airport. "I was surprised to see the Ek Onkar tattoo on her hand," Gagandeep said.

Mariekeats had got her parents' nod for marriage before coming to India. "I cannot read and write Punjabi, but understand it 'thori...thori'. I can cook chole-poori, chilli paneer and paranthas," said a confident Mariekeats.

8 minutes ago, Jassu said:

@Premi5

The difference is that these Sikhs will actually still pass on Sikh values to their children and even teach Sikhi to their foreign spouse. Most Sikh girls who marry out completely assimilate to western/goreh culture and their children end up being confused. Most Sikh girls who marry out did not even care about Sikhi in the first place. 

I thought you were male ...?

1 minute ago, Jacfsing2 said:

You’re a girl? ?